We've been canceled?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

We've been canceled?

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=19059
Wow, I had no idea. Better throw everything away then! :roll:
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hey spirit,

why don't you give us a short summary of whatr happened with wcnews guys? I'd reallylike to know why they are acting like this :?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Actually there was a thread by spirit somewhere in these forums, where you can read the Crius.net posts that led up to his/her(?) banning. Near as I can tell though, LOAF doesn't like WCU, and so he banned spirit, and closed all threads in Crius.net.
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

What basically happened is that LOAF called me stupid. I replied, pretty much verbatim,

"Don't call anyone names if you don't want them to call you names back",

which is advice everyone of us should have heard from our dear Mom or Dad around third grade anyway :)

His answer was to ban me and erase the post where I told him that, which I consider abuse of power. Since this ban is abusive, I'm ignoring it -- if LOAF wants me to stop visiting crius.net he has to politely ask. As I told him a number of times, force simply doesn't work with me; I had to make that point to a man holding a gun and a badge once, and I'm not afraid to make the point to him.

We had a few email exchanges in which I told him that I'd like to clarify that in person and, if he wants to physically fight with me as a way to vent his aggression, he's welcome to do so and can expect a fair fight but he should know he's in for a broken nose. He figured I was threatening him (that's silly; if I wanted to START a fight, I would just have gone over and done so, I live fairly close to LOAF -- that's rather childish though, I thought), then he proceeded to post my livejournal on the forum and ridicule it.

I respect the professional attitude with which LOAF pretty much runs the rest of WCNEWS, but I think that on the forum he lets his power-hog, childish side free.

As long as major announcements in the WCU development will be posted, I have no problem with it -- it's his site after all; this said, i WILL continue visiting crius.net (and may even resume posting someday) until he politely asks me not to. If he just bans my username or my IP, why, I thank him for providing an interesting mental puzzle :)
My Moral Code:
cshank4
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cshank4 »

That LOAF dude is a fuckin' bastard.
Moon hangs around
a blade over my head
reminds me
what to do before I’m dead
night consumes light
and all I dread
reminds me what to do before I’m dead
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Let's not get personal. That's what caused this whole mess in the first place. Let's keep it civil here, please.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Its hard to be civil when he all but says everyone on this forum isn't a real wing commander fan. I don't know where he gets off saying things like that, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Two wrongs don't make a right. An eye for an eye and the world would go blind. First they laugh at us, then they ignore us, then they fight us, then we win. Etc.
PopsiclePete
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by PopsiclePete »

blue_paladin42 wrote:Its hard to be civil when he all but says everyone on this forum isn't a real wing commander fan.
I don't think nobody wrote that.

It's easy to get frustrated at LOAF because... well I think it's obvious he lack tacts, he's direct and sometimes uses strong words to make his point... I used to find him maddening until I learned to just look beyond the actual text and just undertand his point. And IMHO, in that thread I think you're refering to he has a point. Even if it's sometimes said in a way that you might get offensed (even if most of the time you don't have to) there IS a point to that discussion, and a very clear solution:
  • Get over it. There is nothing good coming out of that stupid fight with the CIC.
  • Spiritplumber is a real good programmer ? Fine, but get a hard-ass strong leader that'll whip the troops and have final word on what is good, what is not, what's get implemented in the game, what's left out, what gets the seal of approval. Call that the job coordinator, and take Quarto and John Cordell in example for that job.
  • Stop accepting every art/idea/code submissions without having it rewiewed and accept by that new coordinator.
  • Stop always praising every work everyone makes even if it's bad. There's nothing wrong in criticising other's people work; on the contrary it force us to get back to it and make better stuff. (that's one of the major points people tried to make you realise on the wcnews thread)
  • Start posting again on the CIC forums to get public feedback, but final decisions on what should stay, go or be made better have to be made off-board in private, between the project leaders (and ideally by the coordinator himself)
  • Screw that "if you don't like it just customise it yourself" philosophy or yours. A game must be fun and as close to perfection as you can out of the box
I sincery wich you good luck with your project and hopefully it'll someday be a fun game to every fan to enjoy.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

One thing that needs corrected though, is that people on Crius assume WCU is a game. No criticism of em laddie, just a fact. And its not like many peole here don't think the same thing. Its what I thought when I downloaded it. PR and GG(may they play forever) are, but WCU is a resource, a conglomerate of things from Wing commander which can be used by anyone. Ok, I'm done.
I love Wing Commander.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

WCU is a data set.

Priv 1.5 (or whatever we end up calling it) will be a game and it will use the WCU dataset and the Vegastrike engine.

The Armada remake (piArmada) is a game that uses the WCU dataset and the Vegastrike engine.

We *COULD* make a WC1 and WC2 remake with those, too.
My Moral Code:
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I would recommend that everyone that using the forums for WCU in general add to their Signature on the CIC the following:

Code: Select all

Wing Commander Universe [url=http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=12] Forum[/url] | [url=http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/MOD:WCU] Wiki & FAQ[/url]
This way anyone who posts anywhere in the CIC will automatically have a link back to the project.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident