Ships that need retextures or work on their meshes

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Ships that need retextures or work on their meshes

Post by Fireskull »

(spiritplumber EDIT: made it sticky)

*Confed

Arrow: its cockpit is just plain odd right now. Really really odd. I dont mean the cockpit you see when inside the ship, but from the external view. It has some sharp angles, while it should be round and smooth.

Gilgamesh and Sheffield:

Even if their textures are "fine", they can get better. Both ships could use some colors, a bit of green for the gilgamesh and some blue for sheffield.

Gilgamesh is a WC2 era ship. It was standard for confed to have both grey and green on their ships, same for sheffield, as a WC3 most confed ships had blue and grey.

For a good idea of how the Gilgamesh could be textured, look at the Waterloo, and for Sheffield look at Fleet Tactics from Crius.net, they have nice pics of it.

Waterloo- Its missing what seens to be a single polygon to me, you can see right through a small part of the ship.

Razor - Its textures are broken, some of them are bright green.

Clydesdale - One of its textures, below one of its turrets, is broken

Bengal - It needs better textures and it has some broken stuff. The distance of the engine to its fire cone is too big, and it has some turrets "floating".

Exeter - It needs better textures. It looks way too plain.

To have a good idea of how these two capships could look like, confedcarriers and waterloos are good guides. There is this screenie of UE too.

http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/ ... ight01.jpg

All WC1 era fighters ( for confed ) we have could use a few more polys. The raptor's semi-circular wings could be made more round, and its nose a bit less squared.

The rapier's wings look paper thin. They need a few more polys so they look like they have a few centimenters of height. Like the rapier, its nose is a bit too squared too.

Rapier, scimitar and hornet all have very very plain textures.

*Kilrathi

Fralthi - Barely has any textures. It really really needs to be worked on.

Fralthra- Its nose is supposed to be round, but we can clearly see its polygons as it is now. It could use a few more, and on the engines too.

Ralari - Needs better textures. Tt looks like its made of wood now.

Snakeir - It needs a few more polys, the engines for instance are a bit "squared".

Sorthak - Its textures are broken

Strakha - Broken textures.

note: feel free to disagree with anything, or everything, I said.
Last edited by Fireskull on Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Agree with most of what you say except the bengal -- the turrets were fine last I touched it. Did you make it bigger? That may be it.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Exactly.

You see, whatever wanst perfectly aligned with the bengal before, got like 4 to 3 times more unnaligned now.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

When a ship is added to the WCU, keep track of the lineage, IE where it came from. For some ships we have 5 or 6 different models, and it becomes confusing when trying to update or replace an existing model. Eventually all the ships in the ship pack will be reduced to one ship model per class, each model will have only one texture (each faction can have its own texture, as long as it is a single texture)

Also for now, anyone retexturing a ships should use MOD:WCU:Design and Standardization

This is also a work in progress; I need to tweak the color schema a bit after looking at it on a different monitor.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Added to the list :

Waterloo - missing a polygon

Razor - broken textures.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

added: arrow
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

A list is fine, but pictures, dimensions and stuff would help. For each ship we should have a wiki page with images, from the games, literature, in-game movies, etc. I have some links to in-game movies to add, if someone gets the picture gallery started.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Just place a link next to each ship in the list, kind of:

Hellcat | WC4 | WC3 (stats | video)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Finding all that info is just plain asking too much of me, I wouldnt have time to. But I can edit my list as long as you guys give me the links to the stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Anyone has any pics of a Hellcat from the back and other angles?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hm... If I get WC4 working (I don't know if it'll be soon), I can get all the pictures you want :D
Wing Commander Universe
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Anyone has any pics of a Hellcat from the back and other angles?
Are you talking about from a movie or the original model? If you are talking about the model look in the ship pack its already there. As a matter of fact I think that the is already a High Quality (HQ) model of Hellcat and the Arrow that are not in use.

I think that all that needs to be done is for the units to be retextured in high quality as defined in Wing Commander Universe Design and Standardization

Hellcat V
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/w ... hellcat_v/

Arrow
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/w ... fed/arrow/

I would rather not spend the time remaking perfectly good models. When the existing models will work perfectly well (IMHO)

Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Hellcats are "ok", but the arrows we have in game look really odd because of their cockpit.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Take a look at the Arrow in the Ship Pack I think there is a HQ one that we can use. All the others believe are Original Game Models (OGMs) The model might just need to be textured. Or touched up.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Now you guys tell me... Look at all the work I've done!

:D

Allright, mkruer, I downloaded the COB file for the hellcat hq v2 and tried to import it into Blender with the COB-import script, but it tells me it can't read ascii file or something... I need to get a line-trace of the UV mapping; I don't want to guess what part of the texture goes where...

EDIT:
Could it be the carriage returns? I notice they are unix-like.

EDIT2:
No; I fixed the carriage returns and still get the same message: "Can't read ASCII format" :-(
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Download the file then open it. However I will download it when I get the chance when I get home.

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Well, I downloaded the file already, of course. As for "opening it", with what? I don't have Caligari. I'm trying to import the file into Blender, and the import script tells me it can't read ASCII format, whatever that means (that it expects some kind of binary format?, or that it expects ASCII format but that the file doesn't look ASCII to it?, or that it's some kind of "bad ASCII"? I just love error messages...). Anyhow, if you have Caligari, maybe if it has a way of exporting to a more common format, that might help.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

This is probably because Blender does not support .cob (which is an old lightwave file format I believe) . I will have to go home as convert it into an obj file which blender recognizes. Did you try the Arrow as well ?

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Blender has a script to import .cob files. That's the one that gives me the error.

Arrow: Link broken.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

This should keep you busy for a while. All the models need some minor touchups such as removing engine flames (don’t ask why it was attached to the model) and retexturing the models to fit the one texture one object. blah blah blah Wing Commander Universe Design and Standardization :twisted:

arrow
excalibur
hellcatv
talon*
thunderbolt

* There are three different textures, one for Militia, Pirate, Retro the way its going to work I guess from now on is one model, may textures, the texture will be assigned through the program. so as long as all three texture mach each other in size and location, you are good, and you only have to map the model once.

The textures need to be minimum 1024x1024

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... Cships.zip

Have fun!

Matt

Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Could an admin please compile all those post related to that hellcatv model in to a separate thread?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Moved hellcat posts into this new thread
Wing Commander Universe
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

.cob format

Post by Darkmage »

.cob is caligari object format. it's truespace's object format. just pirate right hemisphere's deep exploration and use that to convert it properly.