Quick brainstorming on orders...

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Cool!
I remember at the bottom of the Privateer manual there was a short section on maneuvers that explained the skid, some other one, and the hard stop, like pressing backspace, when someone is aiming at your ITTS from the flank, soon you have his flank.
Not quite a "maneuver", but the kind of building block that would be nice to have for the player to "build AI" into commands...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Actually, what I just described is the Immelman Twist. I think the Immelman is just an Immelman twist where you turn 180 degrees.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

http://www.wcnews.com/encyclopedia/showrecord.php?id=589 wrote:Name : Anvil attack
About: The Anvil attack is a method of positioning bombers in order to hit a capital ship target. With a wing of bombers on each one of a target's X, Y, and Z axis, no matter which way the target turns, one wing will always have a broadside strike.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

A Superiority mission requires that the wing assigned the mission searches for and destroys all enemy fighters.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

If we need to change keybindings for some ships, we could justify it canon-wise:
Name XCU-50 key console
About Starting in January 2669, all TCN fleet ships adopted the XCU-50 keyboard platform as standard issue. The platform supported layered macro functions, optical pointer control, console layout and security provisions.

Some ships provided classes to adapt people to the platform.
The XCU-50 Optical DataZig Console was a computer system used on many Confederation ships.

Christopher Blair completed his training of how to operate an XCU-50 Optical DataZig Console. Blair received a certificate from Major Allen M. Myckland to prove it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

A Full Wing Landing refers to when an entire wing is recalled to base with craft landing at 30 second intervals. Such a landing is very demanding on the flight deck crew.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

In the other thread, I wrote:EDIT2:
Would be nice to be able to queue up orders; then I could issue one or more tasks to complete sequentially before even launching them.
For example:
1) SUPERIORITY (Establish air... er.. void-superiority; --i.e. elliminate any small crafts.
2) DISABLE-DEFENSES (Of a capship I'm targeting)
3) ANVIL (My bombers should approach and target the capship from 3 angles)
4) LAUNCH!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I just had another idea for a tactic exclusively for space fighting:

You fly towards your target at an angle, turn on sheldon slide, turn your ship towards the target, and manually thrust forward while firing. If you're at the right distance, you'll trace circles around the target while moving inertially side-ways. If you're not exactly at the right distance, you might trace ellipses; but, by controlling the amount of thrust, you might be able to "circularize" your elliptical orbit. Of course, we'd need the sheldon slide key to work like a toggle; otherwise your left pinky will fall off, after a while...
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I think its more pratical to practice your aim and dumbfire missile accuracy. How many people can claim they are able to properly targetting dumbfires in the middle of a high-g turn?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Haha... that's so easy to do.

Change, in vegastrike.config, "SheltonKey" by "InertialKey" (or was it InertialToggle? I can't remember).

Done.
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Should be the default, though. ;-)

Seriously. Same with that thing you did for unifying reflectivity and specularity; every time I run setup it's gone and I have to search all over the place to remember what the line was to enable it. Or was it every time I download a patch? Can't remember now.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The reflectivity stuff... yes, it should be defaulted. It's just a change on vegastrike.config.

About InertialKey, though, not for WC games. It kills all speed caps, and that's bad for WC since it unbalances the game.
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

We could limit the shelton slide to non-afterburning speed?
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I tried, but found no sensible way.
Simple because of the way it works: it relies on passing commands directly to the newtonian simulation system, and that one doesn't have any speed caps.
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

i can take a crack at it if you like.

For interest, try to set space drag to something other than 0 (suggest 0.02) and use shelton then.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Knock yourself out... only make it configurable.
Wing Commander Universe
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

I'd like a way to be able to divide my wingmen into different groups and be able to use the ITTS with the those groups to be able to keep more than one bogey busy.

It should be possible to use a key sequence to select a wingman group number. Currently when I issue orders in PR, my five wingmen jump and mob the same target at the same time - not very efficient use of resources.

I like the idea of using the Nav map/computer to do this as well, it may not make much sense in Privateer to be able to assign some wingmen to guard one jumpoint and the second bunch to guard another but it should work well in WCU.

Also, the ability to send them to patrol through 3 systems in sequence - Junction/Constantinople/NewDetroit for example. Again probably an overkill in Privateer but very appropriate for WCU.