Should the Neps be in WCU?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.

Should the Nepthilium be in WCU?

Yes why not.
20%
Yes why not.
20%
No not at all, they wern't around.
20%
No not at all, they wern't around.
20%
Possibly, but not in the main plot. (egg)
10%
Possibly, but not in the main plot. (egg)
10%

Total votes: 10

Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

Should the Neps be in WCU?

Post by Captin cocksniff »

Just to get an idea of how people feel on the matter.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I dont know anything about nephs.

Since I dont have any good memories of them, and they arent in privateer timeline I vote "no".
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I put in a few Neph ships because (1) i wanted to try if I could get clustering to work and (2) we might want them to show up as easter eggs. If anyone wants to make a Neph plot, tell me.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I think there is some confusion. The Nephlimum ARE in WCU, its just that time wise, there <B>do not, should not</b> appear until after 2681, and deviation from this fact, IMNSHO, will destroy the original canon.

Now that I am off my soapbox, if you want to include the Nephlimum before 2681, the way to go about it is to either having a scouting force that crossed the galactic core, or have a few derelict ships. Either which way there should be no major interaction with them? Perhaps a neat idea is to take the basic premis form the original Privateer. You find an derelict or hibernating Nephlimum ship, which activates to your presence, this in turn set them off to discover an entry way into the kilrathi system. This would explain how the Nephlimum could game access to the Kilrathi system so quickly. (it wasn’t quick, they were there already. Your interference delayed them from arriving sooner.)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The more the better, I vote YES, BUT, I'm all for doing it carefully not to disturb WC history. One way to achieve this would be if you come across the Nephilim yourself alone, as a player, while off the normal space lanes. I know nothing about WC history, but chances are when the Neps did appear, many questions were left unanswered about them. This would be a chance to come up with answers, and in fact prepare the ground for the events that came 12 years later or whatever. Just to throw this in, I read other posts that mentioned kilrathi dreadnaughts, and that somehow they did not seem to use them much. We could have the player of WCU come across Nep technology and secretly and systematically destroy drednaugh shipyards using Nep weapons for instance... So, I vote YES with these caveats.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Im curious.. whats the background on nephilim? All I know is that they came from unknown region in space though wormholes and attacked for no given reason.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I think (AND AGAIN THIS IS COMPLETELY NON BINDING!!!!) that the nephs should have about the same role the steltek had this far -- show up a bit to drive a plot, maybe.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captin cocksniff »

personal opinion, I tend to agree with chuck and Murker and sprit.
I would say that they should be included as an egg, and there should be no major interaction. For instance if the "deep space exploration" idea was implemented, you would have to venture far out to encounter them, but it would be pretty novel to see them.