Deliver cargo to myself?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Deliver cargo to myself?

Post by Fireskull »

I was on a cargo run to a militia base, but when I got to the system it said I should deliver the cargo to the Galaxy in the privateer FG ( thats me I supose )

Thats a bug right?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

yes ^^; did you save your game? if so, can i see it?
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

No I didnt :(

But if I remember right... this has happened twice to me and always in the same system, I think it was either New Caledonia or Capella.. it had only a single mining base.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If it happens to you again I'd like to see the savegame, or at least a screenshot :) thanks
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Today I got a mission to deliver cargo to a drayman. It was a listed as a "drayman drayman" Perhaps this meant it was in the Drayman FG? The ship was in regallis system.

My wild guess here is that all bigger ships ( including merchant ships ) are somehow set as bases too, and when the player buys a galaxy his own ship is also set as a base. So, since game missions are random, its possible that you get a mission to deliver cargo to yourself.

Now why you are sent to another system to do this is completely beyond me.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Possible actually, I'll have to add a check against that... I think that the Galaxy has a docking port, I'm not positive though (i think NPC ones do but the one you buy doesn't).
My Moral Code:
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

I may be off-base here, but I suspect that the missions generate as deliver cargo to a ship (to be determined when you get there) in a certain system. I think it determines whether an appropriate ship exists in that system before offering the mission. If that ship no longer exists when you get there, and your ship is an approprate type of ship, it could set your own ship as the destination.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

NPC galaxies surely have a dock... because just yesterday I docked into one.

I think this whole docking into other ships is a bit messed up though...

You see, when I docked inside that galaxy, I was also flying a galaxy!! Now, I hope we can all agree that a galaxy cant fit into another galaxy. I think only really big ships should have docking capabilities... merchant ships are just that, merchant ships, not mini-destroyers.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Very true... what I want to do is some kind of ship-to-ship connection (think Apollo-Soyuz) for merchantmen, if anything at all. For now I'll remove the docking capability for the galaxy.

I think that the smallest ship with a docking port should be the Drayman.
My Moral Code:
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Drayman-class ships would probably use shuttles to transfer personnel and cargo to any other ship while not at a base. If you think about it, Bengal-class craft can't take a Drayman anywhere.. it'd have to be shuttles. And the same would hold for other cap ship classes. A docking tube might work but that would be pretty rare outside of a base's docking area (unless you're a smuggler or something)

Galaxy-class probably don't even have the capability to take shuttles - just an airlock for individuals in spacesuits.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

the galaxy docking screen was supposed to be an airlock :oops: guess i goofed...

other than that, in general the player will dock at bigger ships than his/hers, i would think :) this said seeing a docking operation by means of a tube would be cool.
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The code had a check against ship size, once, IIRC. I've seen it commented around there, something like

this->rSize() < 50*significant->rSize()

meaning you must be 50 times smaller than the ship you're trying to dock with. It was removed, perhaps because it's too restrictive, but I think it made sense.

Perhaps it should be re-enabled, with a lower value, say 10 or 5. That alone would avoid you docking with a ship your own type, and it would also avoid a... say... Paradigm docking with a Drayman (equally absurd). But, of course, it could make sense with ship-to-ship docking ports (instead of internal bays).

Perhaps more correct would be not showing your own ship inside the docking bay screen when it fails that test, meaning you used a ship-to-ship docking port.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

This all sounds very cool, but I can foresee a bug coming.

If you dock with another ship, the simulation goes on right? What if the ship is destroyed?

And if you dock with another ship of your size using docking ports, what if your ship is destroyed? what if the other ship is destroyed? What if the other ship jumps to another system? What if the other ship decides to engage in combat, afterburns away...

What if?
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

In the case of jump drive activation, you should follow along with it. The jump drive creates a bubble that you can actually ride along in (if you are skilled and lucky enough). At least, it is reported that you can in VS, and what holds true in VS (WRT common functionality) holds true in the mods.

If either ship is destroyed, you die.
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
cerewa
Explorer
Explorer

Post by cerewa »

in privateer remake, flying a drayman, i used to get lots of missions to fly cargo to a certain system and when I got to the system I was told to fly the cargo to myself. I'd stop my ship, eject, and fly back in. I'd see in the landing bay a person in an ejection seat. Then I'd save and load, and the computer would seem to say "oh, you docked with yourself" and the mission would be treated as finished. I could go to the landing bay (of my drayman) and see a drayman sitting in it, which I could then "launch" and I'd be back in the cockpit of my drayman, ready to fly around. It was kinda fun, and kinda bizarre.
Heltarawa
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Heltarawa »

wish we could watch fights from inside bases would be pretty to to have a huge cat fleet assault a system the only place you cna hide in on a confed carrier and wait for the all clear
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

klauss wrote:this->rSize() < 50*significant->rSize()

meaning you must be 50 times smaller than the ship you're trying to dock with. It was removed, perhaps because it's too restrictive, but I think it made sense.

Perhaps it should be re-enabled, with a lower value, say 10 or 5. That alone would avoid you docking with a ship your own type, and it would also avoid a... say... Paradigm docking with a Drayman (equally absurd). But, of course, it could make sense with ship-to-ship docking ports (instead of internal bays).
basing on the ships size is one of the possible solutions for this problem. But how it is in real life (ok, you don't see paradigm everyday on the street), that one ship can dock to another?

maybe there should be more complex solution to this problem. Maybe instead of Cargo Bay you could buy docking tube and so be able to let other ships to dock with you. Apart for docking tube you could also buy docking bay for your ship and so be able to let them all park in your arse (sorry for my language).
If you have too little space in your landing bay, you could only use the docking tube, if not, they could dock at the docking bay.
One could also think of using the docking bay for transporting cargo (it's rather logical), so it could be also used that way, but should have it's limitation with cargo carriability (btw. ships shouldn't use that much space as they use now (for Gothri it's about 2700 tons! (ok, cargo units;) )) - it shouldn't be any problem as you should be able to capture only disabled ships (impossible with drayman).

I know it's rather complex solution and would take time to code it, but I think it's worth it. When I have more time (starting next week I hope) I will try to implement something like this, but I don't say that I will do any good ;)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

headache O_O;;;;

the "deliver to yourself" thing is real easy to fix, i will as soon as i have a functioning exe.
My Moral Code: