Major Requests for people who can recompile vegastrike.exe

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Major Requests for people who can recompile vegastrike.exe

Post by spiritplumber »

(1) A units.csv column that decides whether a unit can be tractored in or not. (not urgent)

(2) Tractor beams actually "eating" an object only when it's very close, right now as soon as your beam touches a piece of cargo, it's teleported in rather than brought close first. (urgent)

(3) Repulsor beams NOT eating cargo at all, please. (middle)

(4) Tractor beam ( weapons in the SPECIAL slot) being grouped with missiles as in the original Priv...

Thanks... Also if someone could tell me what I need to recompile vs.exe so that I may give this stuff a shot.

(Also, after watching the cartoons, I'm tempted to put a tractor beam on Scimitars, since they use it a LOT there)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I compile with VC++, but I guess you don't have it. Perhaps it compiles with DevC++, downloadable and free, based on GCC. So, that would be a start (downloading DevC++). Plus, you need vorbis (you have to download the SDKs separately).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Re: Major Requests for people who can recompile vegastrike.e

Post by smbarbour »

spiritplumber wrote:(2) Tractor beams actually "eating" an object only when it's very close, right now as soon as your beam touches a piece of cargo, it's teleported in rather than brought close first. (urgent)
I don't know if it is just that way in WCU, but I've noticed that anything that will not fit in your hold will be brought close first.

(You can test this by flying a ship to an asteroid field and tractoring them in. In a Dodo, you can fit one asteroid fragment in your ship. Any more than that and it will draw it close before smashing your ship. I laughed and cried at the same time when it happened to me. It was hilarious, but saddening at the same time.)
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

So it would be a matter of tweaking behavior so that it always draws it closer. Perhap's it's easy. I'll add it to the list of things to look into.
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Things that don't fit in your hold get pulled close.

Things that DO fit are instantly sucked in.

What I would like to see is things that DO fit being pulled, THEN being sucked in when they're close (100? 50? impact?) to the ship.
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Easiest way would be, IMO, almost-impact. An almost-impact distance can be computed easily accounting for both objects' sizes (yours and the thing you're tractoring), giving the impression of entering the cargo hold on impact, but hugely easier to code.

If I'm right, fixing it would be adding a tiny-weenie line of code.

PS: (4), IMO, would be messy. How would that work? Would you trigger it with missileKey? But that is a single-shot key. I think the original privateer had a key for the tractor beam. But my memory could serve me wrong (many years since then have passed).
Wing Commander Universe
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I can recompile it, sure. However, tweaking it is not my forte, so I'll probably be of little use here.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

In WC2 the trac beam was fired like a gun.

In Priv the tractor beam was activated by targeting cargo, then you would tap ENTER and the beam would stay on until it either ate up the cargo, or got out of range. You could tow cargo a little ways by carefully varying your speed, same in WC4(not sure in WC3).
My Moral Code:
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Two more things that would greatly enhance the feel of combat:

(1) "Splash" animation for blaster shots where they hit, if they hit armor.
(2) Missile explosions going as fast as the target rather than as the missile -- sometimes the explosions go right thru a ship.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

At the vegastrike forums we've been discussing possibly using the ogre3d engine to replace the rendering back end of the vegastrike engine. If we do that, we'll get particle systems for free. That'd be the thing to have for 'splash'.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Even just a small explosion sprite would do...
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I had already thought of (1) beta (the second 1). But it's quite complicated due to the sheer number of sprites that would be generated. Some pooling mechanism should be created, for particle systems (in fact, redoing the work done in Ogre, but much simplified).

About (2)... Hm... I'm already thinking of a hack to do so easily. But the "propper" way to do it, is wait till (1) is done, and make missile explosions a special case of (1).

Also - I know, too ambitious - I was thinking about making explosion chunks move independently (perhaps creating independent subunits - that would be a way).

Progress report: The tractor beam is fixed. I'm now thinking about how to fix the slingshot problem, but that's not easy. Anyway, original (2) and (3) have been fulfilled, I just have to commit the changes someday.
Wing Commander Universe