Installing WCU on Linux system

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
AndyAWS
Explorer
Explorer

Installing WCU on Linux system

Post by AndyAWS »

I have privateer remake 1.0 installed and working....how do I apply the WCU patches?

I have the rar files wcu-code, wcu-data, and wcu-data-update...they look like they are for windoze installs (bat files, lnk's...etc)...is WCU only for windows?

Are there installation instructions/procedures somewhere?

I checked the FAQ here and on the home page...and searched the forums here.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Should work pretty much the same way in linux. Unrar the files into the directory where the remake data is stored. That should overwrite some files ;)
AndyAWS
Explorer
Explorer

Post by AndyAWS »

Then just delete the bat, lnk, and other 'windows' files?

Also in the archive there is a folder that I don't have 'privateer100' that just has a couple of bat files... I do have a .privateer100 folder (hidden) that contains only sound files, so I assume they are unrelated.

I guess it's not a big deal, if anything screws up I can just reinstall privateer-remake.

BTW I've played every Wing Commander and Privateer game with the exception of Prophecy, and I'm very thankful and impressed with Vegastrike, Privateer-remake, and the WCU projects...nice job to all involved and kudos for making it available to other OS's.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The .privateer100 folder is where your savegames and ships are stored.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

You can probably ignore the privateer100 folder, though I'd be curious to know what those bat files are supposed to do..
AndyAWS wrote:BTW I've played every Wing Commander and Privateer game with the exception of Prophecy, and I'm very thankful and impressed with Vegastrike, Privateer-remake, and the WCU projects...nice job to all involved and kudos for making it available to other OS's.
Making them available for other OSs comes automatically really.. Vegastrike and the Priv remake are developed primarily on Linux. Having a windows version is the bonus extra :) WCU is a bit different, as those who did the work on that patch are running Windows. Nothing you shouldn't be able to take advantage of on Linux though.
AndyAWS
Explorer
Explorer

Post by AndyAWS »

chuck_starchaser wrote:The .privateer100 folder is where your savegames and ships are stored.
Yes and no...yes I know that the .privateer100 folder under my home folder is where my saved games are stored...I am refering to /usr/local/games/privater/.privateer100/ folder which is full of music files..as i said.

The folder in the wcu-code.rar is just privateer100 (no '.').

I think MamiyaOtaru answered well enough, I'll try just leaving the 'bat's and 'lnk's out.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

The bat files just delete some generated bsp's and things, they're for my use as in i click on them before running a new game after I've made changes -- this is to simulate a clean install.