ESC-Q needed at bases

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

ESC-Q needed at bases

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The problem is that whenever the videocard decides not to work on game startup, there's no way to quit from the keyboard. There's only the Reset button. This is NOT good. It takes like 10 minutes for Norton to check all my partitions on reboot from a Reset. No grphic hardware messing-with application should EVER require use of the mouse in order to be exited.
Another thing that would be good would be for the game to listen to ALT-TAB, as well as CTRL-ALT-DEL, in full-screen mode.
Espinas
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Espinas »

I don't know what version of Widnows are you using but I can use the Windows Key to switch back to my desktop when in the middle of the game. I'm using Win98SE and the Privateer mod. I didn't have graphics problems but I think maybe this could let you terminate the game without having to reset.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Who would have thought? I finally know what the Windows key is for...
Unfortunately the graphics state is corrupted when I try to get back to it by clicking on the minimized button in the task bar; so I can't use the technique as an ALT-TAB. But it definitely gets out of it. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm in 98SE also. I don't really have a "graphics problem", I just tried the "per pixel reflective" setting and it didn't work; that's all. I was just speaking about --in principle-- having a keyboard way to exit; and ALT-TAB would be nice too, not to speak of CTRL-ALT-DEL; seems to me mandatory.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

esc-q used to work until we modified the code to change the way keyboard input handling works while docked (this is so that you could type in save-game names).

I'll look at a keyboard combination for quit, maybe one that pops up the "Press q to quit" sprite first like it does in-flight.

Also, I might be able to add a combination like "c" for computer, where it will open a computer screen with all modes available.

I agree that this combination would be nice to have sometimes.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Make sure that this does not give you the Upgrade option because that will let people use basic repair in bases where this is not supposed to be allowed.