[Censored] Asteroids - Game Deleted

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

No, it's mostly shields. I just spent some time playing around with the new 'roids, they're great. Good job.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."-Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn
Long live the Confederation!

Post by Guest »

Sweet!
THAT'S the way to make an asteroid belt! :D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I'd like to make a couple of points:

1) Asteroids should be destroyable, yes, BUT, it should be gradual destruction, lengthy, and should generate huge amounts of dust. It's hard to tell what kind of size asteroids currently are, with the lack of 3D visual cues. Judging from the speed they pass by at full afterburner, I'd say they are the size of a Paradigm. This being so, it should take about 4 times as much gun blasts to destroy an asteroid, as it takes to destroy a Paradigm. Fair enough?

2) I think that although it makes total sense to have Paradigm sized asteroids, it would also make sense to have asteroids of smaller sizes, down to pebbles, in a dusty medium, achievable by hardware fog. The various sizes of pebbles, stones, rocks and asteroids would help provide more visual cueing as to the size and distance of the larger ones.

3) They shouldn't move so fast. See my other thread, "A few fixes needed".

4) They should be "very" dangerous, though. Shields are for energy weapons. Asteroids should damage armor and hull directly. Now, if we had fewer large ones, moving slowly, chances are we'd all be able to avoid them. Faliure to avoid them, as in a head-on collision, should mean instant death. The problem, with my system, would be the smaller rocks, still nowhere nearly as dense as presently, but hard to see in the fog (dust), and if you're afterburning, you'd better be quick with the mouse (or with the blasters).
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Right now I wanted to make 'roids comparable in size with the mining base, which looks like is 2 or 3 asteroids clamped together. Also as of now, that I know of, they don't move. They do blow up eventually ^^; I need to make it so that they release rocklets when they get shot at.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Easiest way would be to make 2 3D models: One of an asteroid in one piece, and another of the same asteroid, but made up of two main chunks, and maybe about 6 smaller ones. As one shoots at it, the central part should begin to redden from the heat of the energy weapons and finally it explodes. The explosion event would first replace the original, simple model, with the the other model, made up of smaller chunks; and the chunks are now given an outward velocity that is inversely proportional to their volume (mass). Plus a lot of sparks would come out (particle system), an expanding dust cloud (volumetric effect), ending with just an increased amount of floating dust (fog).

I could try and come up with a dual-model rock. I'm just not sure whether Wings3D is the right program to create such a meshy thing. I've only used the program once.