Wing Commander Ships?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Firehawk153

Wing Commander Ships?

Post by Firehawk153 »

I saw where I could download the Wing Commander ships, but how do I use them in game? Do I just drop them in a directory or is it more involved than that?

Thanks and hats off to all responsible for such a great game!
jump gate hypocrate

Post by jump gate hypocrate »

what type are they? .exe .mn3? tell us what it is!
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

they xmesh files, as each 3d object in VS ;)
put them in your unit directory, and the easyest way to use tyhem is editing your savegame. otherwise have a look in the mission code
I see dead polygons....
Fermin

How do you install the WC Universe Mod

Post by Fermin »

etheral walker wrote:they xmesh files, as each 3d object in VS ;)
put them in your unit directory, and the easyest way to use tyhem is editing your savegame. otherwise have a look in the mission code
You've got to be kidding me, that's your explanation? Might as well not post anything here. You seem to forget that not everyone here is a programmer, I'm trying to figure out how to put in the WC Universe Map pack, but there's no Readme, there's no instructions whatsoever.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

What's so difficult to understand about putting them into your units directory?

Okay, here's a slightly more thorough guide to getting ships you downloaded working in the game.

1. Each ship has its own folder named for the name of the ship.
2. Put that folder in the units directory inside your Vega Strike data directory. It's the one with all the other unit folders in it, it can't be missed.
3. Edit your savegame or a mission (using notepad, or whatever) so that it references the name of the new unit rather than whatever you currently have (probably a llama.blank)
4. Run VS with your savegame or your modified mission. You should be flying the new ship! If not, make sure you followed all of the steps, and then maybe post a question here on the forums.

I guess that's pretty much exactly the same as saying 'put them in your unit directory, and the easiest way to use them is editing your savegame, otherwise look in the mission code'. Perhaps my numbered points will mislead you though.