kilometers per second?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

klauss, my problem is not with kps; keep it, that's fine. My problem is with some ba$tard that first steals (yes *steals*, even if it's open source) the engine and the years of work put in by Mamiya, Spirit and others, quietly and secretly works on his GG mod, then suddenly announces it and grabs the download url for his version, without even putting a link to PR, or an explanation, so that all the momentum that had built up appeared to be suddenly for his mod, not the real one; and then has the nerve to come here to our forum to, again, proselytize about strict canon compliance. Ironically, I was arguing for a canon compliant feature, namely bringing back the faction names in the HUD, and he was the only one who voted against it...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@chuck: I was just talking about the KPS. I know the other issue, and I purposedly avoided it.
But... having it been brouhgt... I think you're overreacting. He said exactly what I said, only with other words - more concise words. Of course, there's all the background stuff between you two and that's where everything is coming from, but his comment is still valid: being the only WC game without KPS would be weird... wouldn't it?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

You're right klauss. Can't remember last time you weren't :)

Yet, something's rotten in Amsterdam.
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Chuck you really shouldn't talk about things you were not involved ;)
1. Nothing was *stolen* everyone is credited.
2. It wasn't a secret, Gold was planned as a side release during the 1.0 Remake development for purists.
3. All new code-side features for Gold were available in CVS for the Remake 1.2 as well.
4. Goldstuff like the new Kamkeh model (Remake&piArmada), animated shields, com animations, new Centurion textures were available for the Remake 1.2.
5. The download url was not *grabbed*, the Remake moved to Sourceforge a month ago or longer, the webspace was available for the Gold version so it was taken for it.
6. Everyone who knows Gold knows about the Remake as well, it's mentioned all over the website.

"and then has the nerve to come here to our forum to, again, proselytize about strict canon compliance."
It's common sense like klauss explained it (in this case).

"Ironically, I was arguing for a canon compliant feature, namely bringing back the faction names in the HUD, and he was the only one who voted against it..."
Actually i voted for factions, someone can check the forum logs :D
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Fine, JC, I can't say I believe all of your arguments, but I'm willing to to take them at face value. There was a time when you posted to the poll thread, and 10 minutes later you deleted the post, and within that time the only vote against was logged. I have no access to the logs, but I just happened to be very awake and refreshing like every 2 minutes at the time. Does that prove it was you? No, it certainly doesn't...
Anyhow, I've just had some info from trusted sources that you may not be as bad as you seem.
Still, I cannot condone phrases like,

"Yeah but then it would be more like a Privateer Fanmake and not Privateer Remake
don't you think?"

We've had enough of all this "fanboy syndrom" stuff with the Retros at the other website. Enough said?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I don't have a problem with GG (hey, we're using your kamekh and some of the cargos too :) fair is fair) and as long as it keeps WC in general alive and kicking, yay.

I do have a problem with the "comparisons with Priv Remake" page as it is, you should update it to 1.2, and maybe add wcu :) if you do add wcu, make sure that it says that it's a very very very early version though.

By the way, I got the secret cargo compartment to work JUST RIGHT, with the exception that when retros scan you, they usually end up attacking you anyway if you're carrying any industrial product since the secret compartment just shields the Contrband/ category. But retros end up attacking you pretty much no matter what anyway. :)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Gee! I never knew Retros used scanners, looking for industrial products. Good stuff!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

eh, to religious nut standards, the retros aren't even thet hypocritical :)
My Moral Code:
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Fireskull wrote:uhm, erm, guys, calm down.

Its not like the whole WC universe will come crashing down over a fix on the measure system.

Actually is all distances were reduced, then law of physics says “yeah the universe would come crashing down.â€
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Personaly I like the GG version of Privateer remake better then the Modified one.

Also was it ever stated what the k stands for? kicks per second?

The problem we have here is simple. some one has an idea for a fairly simple upgrade, such as overlaying the jump point with a grid to make it look more computer generated then the original blue blob. Next thing you know everyone is like “Hey lets color code the jump pointsâ€
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I have written a lenghtly explanation about places in WC3 that tell us what K stands for Mkuer :)

Its fine though, the issue has been dropped.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Right now WCU is using the original Priv colors -- the only addition I made is that ships that you own show as green instead of blue. That can be reverted very easily if need be, no probbies :)
My Moral Code: