A strange bug...

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
warzog
Trader
Trader

A strange bug...

Post by warzog »

I've got the latest version of the WC:U files, and I'm experiencing a rather strange, and annoying bug:
Whenever I land on a base or a planet, I continue to hear every shot being fired in the system I'm in.
I hear shots fired, shields being hit, armor being shot off, ships being destroyed, etcetera.
I don't hear any comms, fortunately.
Bases like Perry, and New Constantinople, are so active that I'm forced to turn my speakers off due to the continuous din.
At first I thought that it might've been from my hacking the save game's to increase my money, or by using my custom ship textures, but I still get it with a full reinstallation.
Watch your six!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That IS a strange bug. I've noticed that landing at bases is a bug-prone moment: Once I was approaching a planet with afterburner on, and must have flicked the TAB key off and on at the wrong time, afterburner noise was on all the time while on the base. At another time, my ship was on the landing pad and my rear turret was active and moving around. Once I landed on a mining base while there were some pirates in low orbit, went to the stock room, sold my goods, and was in the process of buying new stuff when suddenly BOOM!, someone says "shoudda been a bounty hunter" and I'm in an eject pod.
But your bug survives re-installation! I'll just throw in as a way of brainstorming:
Have you shut down the computer? I don't mean just rebooted; I mean power-off. For it might be some weird state in the souncard chip that's causing it.
And, have you done a scan-disk/defrag?
Also, maybe one of the sound driver files might be corrupted.
Actually, before all that I'd try running setup and turning all sound off, making sure that works, then running setup again and turning sounds back on.
warzog
Trader
Trader

Post by warzog »

Well...
Except for running setup and turning all of the sound off, I've tried everything you suggested.

Also...
I guess no one was talking before, but I hear every comm while on base.
AND...
If I was using my afterburners before I landed, I hear them the entire time I'm on the base.
AND...
I was running the Brilliance misssion for Tayla, to Hector base in the Troy system...
I used afterburner's from the jump point to Hector, with the Militia or Confed hot on my tail the entire way...
I landed on Hector, and I could still hear my afterburners...
THEN...
I hear someone yell, This is your last Brilliance run, Pirate, followed by shields being shot up, and armor being blown away!
I headed to the ship upgrade to repair my ship...
Then I'm in an ejection pod with someone saying, Target Eliminated!
I tried steering the pod...
Nothing!
I tried ESC + Q...
Nothing!
Only thing that worked was ctrl+alt+del.
(And it took 5 minutes to restore my desktop!)

Also...
When I left the pirate base in Pentonville, on that mission for Tayla, and I got swarmed by a gazillion pirates, my Centurion's rear turret refused to go auto.
I tried ctrl+w and ctrl+i, but it wouldn't fire a single shot.
(It was rotating, but not firing.)
But once I reached 119CE, Junction, and Pender's Star, it was firing at everything!
(Including Jumpholes!)

On another occasion, it would only use the tractor beam on targets.
(I tried several times to select the guns, but it kept using the tractor beam.)
Watch your six!
warzog
Trader
Trader

Post by warzog »

Possible solution from a member of the other WCU forum:

In the VegaStrike.Config file, change "True" to "False"
"<var name="simulate_while_docked" value="true"/>"
(it's in the Physics section)

At the very least, it sounds like the most feasible cause, to me.
Watch your six!
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

well, in vegastrike time still passes by, while docked.
think, back in 0.4.1, your ship could even get destroyed while docked.

that's different now, in VS 0.4.3, not as in time doesnt pass, but the player ship gets removed somehow, while docked, afaik.
whatever, i hear these sounds in vs 0.4.3 too, but very distant and quiet.
warzog
Trader
Trader

Post by warzog »

Changing the entry to false solved the problem!
Watch your six!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Sorry about that -- I'm working on a way to keep the simulation going while on base, but without the player ship getting blown up.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

The player should not get shot if docking bays are flagged as internal. Not sure how this works with easy difficulty levels where the player doesn't have to fly to a docking point.. i guess that's an issue.

And of course having the simulation continue without the sounds coming through would be nice too.