Non-Gemini Sectors

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

1) I cannot honestly answer that question right now. It has been one of those days at work (where I am still), and have no idea what exactly all I looked at in those files this weekend. I know only a very few systems outside of Gemini are scripted, and a lot of them (or all of them- I dunno how many need to be scripted, but I do think it (when) it ever goes multiplayer they will all need to be).

2) No updated wcuniverse.xml. I poked around in that file, but did not make any changes. The *.system files were changed to match what is in the wcuniverse.xml. Without sitting down with a map to mark things off, I cannot be positive, but it looks like all of the systems from the WC Universe map are there.

3) I do not have the answer to this one.

-thehawk
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

OK. I'd like to take a look at one or two of those updated .system files when you get a chance, just to see how you have arranged things.

The biggest (possible) impediment to more .system files is the lack of information about those systems. I'm using the WCNews.com universe map (http://www.wcnews.com/maps/) Unless I'm missing a huge information source, most system individualization (planets/nav points/bases/etc) would be interpolation and plain random choosing. There's a handful of systems that have some information (Sheol, Landreich, Kilrah, etc) but most aren't even mentioned, much less described.

So I ask - what's the plan for the WC universe systems? Is it up to the system creator(s) to give life to each system?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Systems is one thing I *really* dont seem to be any good at. THANK YOU AGAIN!

Well, if a system is shown in the game, it should at least have what's in the game... like, asteroids and minefields (I'll make minefields sometime this week). But yes, the civilian portion of systems isn't shown in the WC games to avoid burdening the player with extra nav points.... so yes....

basically right now until the Gods of Canon fall upon us....

I declare Adopt-A-System season! :)
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Heh. I'll get to work on it. Somebody (hawk?) posted up some FAQs on the wiki about system generation that will be very very useful.
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

That stuff is beautiful, but alas no, I cannot take credit for it. I will read thru it when I get a chance tho, and add any other stuff I may have.

-thehawk
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

I'm thinking of putting up a mini-project page for this system file task. Maybe put together some of the Wiki info and whatever else gets discovered, and especially what will be different for WCU (minefields, bases, etc)
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

Hey, that is a really good idea. You might-should get in touch with Spiritplumber on getting the content posted, as there is a guy over on the other forum (Cyberion) who is putting together a rather nice site for the project.

Check it: [ http://www.cyberionsystems.com/WCU/website/index.htm ]

-thehawk
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

Hey, if someone wants to give me coordinates as where to put what, in what systems, I will be more than happy to code them in.

Heh. Looks like my classes so far are somewhat less challenging even than I thought they would be. Will see how the database design one looks after tomorrow.

-thehawk
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

Heck, if any other changes need to be made to the current existing *.system (and|or) wcuniverse.xml files, lemmie know. I have been informed that work is going to be slowing for a while too.

Heh. I shoulda took more 'en twelve credits. *chuckles* Like a writing class, aparently.

-thehawk
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

I was thinking more of a small page that keeps track of what systems are being worked on by who, not an overarching website like Cyberion's.

It'll have to wait until tonight, though, no access from here at work. :(
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

*nods* That is what I thought you were talking about, but was also thinking that A) it would need a home, home on the web, and 2) that home might be good to have in the WCU neighborhood.

That is where the thought to include it on the WCU website came from.

-thehawk
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

I've got webspace available, no problem. And uploading it to Cyberion's site would remove the ease-of-editing that would be essential for a project page like this.

I've got a pretty slick idea planned out for keeping tabs on progress. Hope it turns out like I envision. :)
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

Heh. I will wait patiently.

-thehawk
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Damnation. I had to spend most of the evening fixing server issues, so I barely scratched the surface of the pages I wanted to do. My apologies for the continued wait.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If you need help with the logistics I'm here :)

I need to get around to making mines for the minefields....
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Whew. Got up early so I could churn something out before I head in to work.

As I posted over at WCNews, here's the project page: http://gtpkt.org/~crouton/wcuprogress.html

I plan to add more varoius subsections, and definitely a Sector/System set of pages for the .system files.