speicies and visual ranges

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Zeog wrote:
Sunfire wrote:@chuck
i could swear i see UV in some flowers... but only barely (purple morning glories for example and also some very rich red flowers) its this ephemerial ultra purpleness that is very hard to explain.... i also see it in inside ultra bright rainbows... (could all be psychological and im just imagining it tho too... :D )

How do you know it's UV and not just another intense spectral color?
erm... i dont... an experiment im going to try is getting a clear UV blocking lens and see if theres any difference... :wink:

BTW, i didnt know that the red range was quite so large....
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Good idea, sunfire! I might try this with the UV filter I have for my camera...
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Don't forget the power of flourescencce too. Many flowers have compounds that absorb some UV and reemit it in the visible spectrum (like nicely bleached shirts ;-) ) ... this makes a *huge* difference when you look at a bright flower in direct sunlight or indoors.

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

And some flowers just look better in real life. Its called flower photogenicity. lol

@Halleck. Share your experience with the UV filter. :D

@Sunfire: I also see Red ants, red shoes, red slippers....
:?: btw where is my slipper? :shock:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

dandandaman wrote:Don't forget the power of flourescencce too. Many flowers have compounds that absorb some UV and reemit it in the visible spectrum (like nicely bleached shirts ;-) ) ... this makes a *huge* difference when you look at a bright flower in direct sunlight or indoors.

Dan
Didn't know that one, so they can actually appear to glow. That's a filthy trick! :)
Husk
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Husk »

Oblivion wrote:heehe. that's research.

Here's a thought. Haven't anyone of you thought that maybe we don't see the same colors at all? What I may call as Blue may still be called blue by you, but is actually what is red to my vision. That was confusing. :?
You might want to research quale. The thought you had is a rather old one; I personally consider the first encounter of the quale problem to be Empedokles' solution to the contradiction of Parmenides (nothing can change) and Herkalit (everything changes). With his theory of four elements which are unchangeable, but can combine in different quantities and qualities to form all a posteriori experience, and his subsequent finding that, if his theory holds true, the eye is made of the same substances and perceives the quality of the substances in any given object, but does not transcend it's foundation in the natural (4-substance-built) world, he, unintendedtly, raised the question of the "realness" of perception. Or at least that's what I thought.

Anyways, start with Locke, Descartes and Hume for the first signs of a real quale debate. Then Leibniz. Concerning more recent work, Dennett considers qualia to be a meaningless word, but has met staunch critique. McGinn considers qualia one of the problems which are, in principle, unsolveable. Minsky also had something to say about quale if I remember correctly. Wikipedia may have an article to start with.

HTH
Husk
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

chuck_starchaser wrote:There's someone from Australia around here, though; was that Dandandaman?
... and myself. Don't post much these days, but still read teh forums on and off.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nice to see your name again Silverain there several new members from down under 8) probably enough to from a faction :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
wanderer
Trader
Trader

Post by wanderer »

the way I see it is arean and humans should have simalar eye sight. though the tropical conditions that the arean evolved in would mean limited visual range due to dense trees so maybe limited vision in the IR range (much like many snakes)
ralan on the other hand evolved on a methan rich planet which due to the density of such an atmosphear would result in eyes sensitive the UV light (much like that of a hawk) which would explain the purples/blues of their craft as they have limited vision in the lower end of the spectrum (red/yellow) but some chemicals that appear clear to us such as amonia appear bright yellow to eyes sensitive to UV light which would mean that while a ralan ship looks dull grey and purple to us, to them it could look like an explosion in a paint factory with a wide array of colours.

well that's my thoughts on the subject
Eat, drink, and be merry... for tomorrow we die!

yesterday we knelt before kings and bowed our necks to emperors,
today we make our stand and,
tomorrow we obay only the truth.