Aera homeworld?

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
picard

Aera homeworld?

Post by picard »

Does anybody know what the aera homeworld is? I think that I have found the system where the homeworld is (or at least have found a huge staging post). There are 16 of those huge Aera supercapital ships, at least 40 Aevants, and 7 total stations in the Thuteilylk system. I do not think that the Aera would put so many defenses into one system unless they were defending something very important.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

My God. I hope you were cloaked!! The Aera don't take kindly to Humans venturing too deeply into their space.
picard

Post by picard »

No, I wasn't cloaked. I blew up several dozen Confed/Rlaan ships, so the Aera really, really like me. I even docked with the aera starfortress in the system, and bought some powerful Aera weaponry for my Goddard, Franklin, and Mule. I own aera milspec Aeon, Aevant, and Aelar, too.

Oh, and I counted the Aevants. It was 76. A squadron of 5 Aeons jumped in, too.
Picard

Post by Picard »

P.S. The Aera supercapital ships were called Vitiks. I'm pretty sure that those are one of the more powerful kinds.
Picard

Post by Picard »

The Aera have launched a massive invasion. Confed forces are falling all over the place. I was in the system when all of the ships except for the squadron of aeons jumped out. I followed them for a few hours, into Confederate space, and then they assaulted Earth. The confed fleet put up quite a fight, but just when it seemed that they might win, the supercapital ships jumped in. (they were slower then the Aevants, so the battle had been raging for awhile when they arrived) Anyway, they took Earth, and I bet that the're going to assault the Rlaan soon.

So that place turned out to be a staging post for a huge assault.
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

Darn...

That's a lot of firepower.
Picard

Post by Picard »

I agree. Personally, I think it is a good strategy, absolutley overwhelming your enemy. However, 76 Aevants is overkill
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

Overkill is not a concept that some military planners are acquainted with.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

you are so lucky that you stumbled upon that. VS'es dynamic universe is awesome, but because of the size of the universe it can be hard to fnid anything that is as huge as a giant invasion fleet. Perhaps in future VS'es the player could get hints at stuff happening like a faction piling up ships in one system.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

That's right. Dynamic news is pretty good at showing what's going on in the Dynamic Universe, but to catch fleets like that, there needs to be something else.

Perhaps on a future in-game map, if you have high enough faction standing with someone, you will get their latest intelligence on where their fleets are, and where the enemy fleets are, and it would be reflected on the map somehow.
Nevita
Merchant
Merchant

Other ideas

Post by Nevita »

Or, perhaps, if you were to join a certain faction (might this be implimented in 0.5 or later?) you would automatically receive intelligence.

Or, part of the information you get from the bartenders might be rumors of who's building up an invasion force and where.

The second might be the easiest to impliment right now, but I would love to see both in the game.
A quick summary of my graduate research: walk into wall, back up a step, repeat.

Post by Guest »

I agree, 76 ships is a bit overkill. Unless your in a good capship yourself, it is hopeless to go against such odds in a tiny fighter. And quite surprising when your hauling some cargo and have to pass thru a system loaded with 76 capships!

RUN! :lol:
Picard

Post by Picard »

I think that the bartender should tell you rumours, that you should be able to get intelligence from a faction that you're allied with, and that on the news, you should hear wildly exaggerated versions of the rumors. for example, there were roughly 100 ships in this strike force. The day after Sol was dominated, you would hear that a fleet of a thousand ships overwhelmed Earth's defenses.
Synchrone
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Synchrone »

By God.. think about it.. A game where there are full-blown computer staged battles which are not necessarily plot-based! :shock:

That is amazing!

Post by Guest »

True that. Would be cool to have some of Howards ideas in vegastrike too ;)
halldb02
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Is no one else appalled???

Post by halldb02 »

Earth was overrun, and people just seem ticked that the Aerans used too many ships! Isnt there something that can be done about it? I would restart the game myself, and make it my sole purpose in (V.S.) life to quash that threat... I'd even quit using F9 frivilously so that the infernal Aerans wouldnt have so much time to build up their fleet.

oh the humanity!!!
Zel
Trader
Trader

Post by Zel »

As I understand there is a strategic AI. What factors does it take into account? It always bothered me that aerans would constantly take systems with almost no actual defenseive engagements by the other factions.

I just once saw a clydesdale gooing against a yrilan and that only because I made the yrilan follow me and leading it to the clydesdale (which was near a Starfortress so the battle was over before it began)

Second thing that would interest me is: when does a system change ownership? When all bases are destroyed? Enemy ships are in system? Or is that random?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the system has to be held in uncontested siege by a capship for a number of minutes... if no response, then it's 0wnzed

the humans should respond with any ships in the immediate area--but if none are you can kiss the system goodbye
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Zel
Trader
Trader

Post by Zel »

I know that there is a new news bulletin announcing that a system is under siege. Maybe you could program a trigger that gives us a mission to end this siege.

Also does the game take starfortresses in account when switching sides?

There is more that has happened...

Post by Guest »

The attack wasn't the end of the game. :) There is more that has happened. The Rlaan have invaded and conquered 3/4 of Aeran space, the Aerans, from Confed space, attacked Rlaan space conquering 1/2 of it, and the Confeds have recaptured several planets. Mainly, all-out, high-stakes war between the Rlaan and the Aera. I'm with the Aera again, but things look to be slightly in favor of the Rlaan. More after a few more hours of playtime.

Post by Guest »

I found a strike fleet of Aera, and joined them on a strike deep into Rlaan space, conquering about three-quarters of it. Whan we came back to former Confed territory, we found that a few unconquered confed systems had recaptured about a third of Confed space. I also found that the Rlaan had conqured almost half of Aeran space, whichI helped recapture. I believe that we have conquered all of Confed space, so no more revolts. The Rlaan, however, outnumber the Aera, so this is shaping up to be one extremeley intense, all-out war. I have already been involved in battles between fleets of supercapital craft, which are becoming as common as dogfights between fighters.

Are you programmers sure that i'm not going hrough some kind of half-completed storyline or something?
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Guest wrote:Are you programmers sure that i'm not going hrough some kind of half-completed storyline or something?
Well, its not so much a storyline, as a dynamic universe at play. Look at this way, the AI of the various factions are playing a strategy game in the background while you fly your merry way! :D

Remember, we we do fly against a backdrop of interstellar war. Do you want the war to be static? :)
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Ari Rahikkala
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

One would think that the universe is a bit *too* dynamic if dozens of systems are being captured and recaptured constantly...

Post by Guest »

Well, something that I never expected just happened. You know those systems that are owned by the Unknown, and have no inhabited planets? Well, literally thousands of Beholders have swept through the entire galaxy, leaving, to my knowledge, only tw systems untouched. I was lucky enough to be in one of those two systems. As far as I know, only one supercapital ship still exists, fortunatley it's Aera :) . Now this is going to be a challenge.