System descriptions

The most appropriate place for Questions, Queries, and Quandaries regarding the nature of the Vega Strike universe and its past, present, or future history. Home to the occasional unfortunate RetCon.
hewhocaves
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

System descriptions

Post by hewhocaves »

Hi everyone.

So I recently downloaded the game and started playing. (Great game, btw, evean at v .5) Anyway, one thing I haven't noticed are any sort of real descriptions of what is in each system. I know part of this is to foster exploration of the system. On the other hand, once visited, I'd like to be able to go back and see where I've been.

Point being, that if there's no database or what not out there for the systems, I'd like to start puitting together one. More accurately, I've been keeping notes on the systems I've visited, and I'm willing to write it up for the group at large. So I have 2 questions about that..

1) what's likely to change in future revisions? i.e. will we lose bases / planets / etc... or just gain additional bases in systems?

2) where can I put this. I was thinking a new section of the wiki (a sector / systems category would be great to start filling in.)

Odds are I'll probably start around Barnard's Star.

Thanks,

John
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: System descriptions

Post by pyramid »

Welcome to the forum, hewhocaves.

Currently the universe is generated dynamically except a handful of systems. That means they will be different on each user's PC and even with every new campaign you start. Rather than doing this by hand there should be means to do it automatically by reading all the data from .vegastrike/sectors for those systems you have visited.

In the future, there will be changes. Several things need improvement, among others:
* avoiding rings overlapping neighboring planets
* avoiding planets too close to the sun
* redesign of planet types
* hand-edited special systems (especially faction/races home systems)
* many more bases and structures

This is on the agenda but not yet on the roadmap so not sure how long it will take.

A good thing would be to actually integrate this type of information into the on-board computer. I hate writing down things or after jumping around 10 systems trying to remember where was that commerce center with the bar that served that excellent klkk wine and the talkative bar tendress. :)
hewhocaves
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hewhocaves »

Ah, bummer. That's great, but also a little annoying.

Yeah, some sort of small program would have to be written to read the info already put together and display the answers.
hmmm....

It's been close to five years since I've done it, but I'm really not looking forward to writing (and now rewriting) this stuff. So i'll look into it.

Basically, i want something to read the file, format it into something user friendly and display it. That should get us to a working stage. If i put anything together, it'll be third party. (though I may try to use the same language).

John
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hi hewhocaves the external app in this thread does a preety good job of reading and displaying the .system file info actually the milky_way.xml file but may provide a starting point for your hacking :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
hewhocaves
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hewhocaves »

the external app in which thread?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

:oops: :oops: :oops: I had it copied but didn't Paste :lol: :lol:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=6774

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
hewhocaves
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hewhocaves »

:) no worries! and thnaks for the link!