Question on Autonmatic Mod Support

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Question on Autonmatic Mod Support

Post by legine »

Hi there.

I am currently checking the options of better integration of piArmada into Vegastrike.

I have a question about the modding structure. I have read the mod support clicky and unsure if I get everything right.

If I use the Mod structure I can override Gamedata but not certain classes or other modifications to the original source, right?
Is the automatic mod support able to run extra code needed to get the game running (i.e. in modules?)?

The background is that in order to implement strategic stuff I need in every case extra or different code then Vegastrike in standard offers I think. pi armada currently supplies the code as extra game running besides Vegastrike only configuring VS to run the combat battles.

Thx. hope I havent overread something. (didnt take a decent look at the direct code.) Hope it is not a stupid question :P
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I'm not sure, honestly. You're saying that you want to distribute a modified VS exectuable, but use it with the MOD framework?

It should technically be possible to include a custom executable in /mods/piarmada/bin/ but you'd need to make sure the user is clicking it. It might actually be better to go back to the standard "patch of stable release" type thing.

In general, I think users prefer a standalone installer most of all. (This was a common request I got for Elite Strike.)

For starters, you might try having VS load a mission that starts you docked at a base. This base would be specially coded to be the main game for piArmada. At least test it out and see what you are able to do. I'm not even sure if it can reposition elements on the screen or anything like that, which you'd probably need for PiArmada.

The VS base screen thing is pretty limited, but get in contact with the devs (or try modding it yourself.) You just might be able to get something workable going.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Well, the idea of a MOD is that it does not modify external stuff.

One option (what I was thinking about) was that you would write everything you need in Python, which itself runs inside the game engine. Python can handle GUI as well as creating the ships for each battle.

You sound like you want to go the road of entirely using C++, which, while possible, might be harder to do and will also cause the engine code to fork, which isn't too fun to deal with. But it's possible if you carefully keep a separate library.

As you probably noticed, I would recommend using Python with the GUI system.

It should be possible to take the existing code, and change it to use Vegastrike's python GUI (run as a base interface), and also change the code that would have started the engine to instead set up a mission and launch the player into space, with background mission code that will "land" the player back into your base as soon as the mission is finished.

Obviously that second place could be a bit troublesome, but I'm sure that we can modify the engine to help out with the loading bit when it comes to starting and ending a battle.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Nope, just thinking. I am not crazy wanting to recode the good work omega did ;). I see I haven't got the Idea of this Base codeing until now. I think I understand now ace123.

The Question appeared more by reading the resources of the wikki instead having really need for this. I am always thinking in all direction which makes me a bit clumsy. I prefer asking then before getting stuck at one question I am unsure how to answer to myself.

I will look into VS Base code and Gemini Base code next before I blabber more nonsense ;)

Hallec, I think best is to distribute source as tarball containing only the mod. Binaries on the other hand as complete packages. I think let people choose what they want. I know a some ppl who whish only a little tarball with the source :P
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

ace123 wrote:If there is a feature in that GUI system you don't understand, or Vega Strike's "Base" module doesn't export all the functions that you need to create a full game, I'm sure new functions can be added on the C++ end of things.
So I think we are back to the question. But I think it is better to extend the c++ code in Vegastrike directly if needed or is anything opposing it?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

It's just *harder* I think.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Agreed.
I still try to understand all the code. ;)
Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

how about a launcher-based solution to this topic where u can select between the aviable mods???