Stargate Mod & Noobe Questions

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

wowsher
Trader
Trader

Stargate Mod & Noobe Questions

Post by wowsher »

I have started putting together a mod using a few Stargate ships that were made for Bridge Commander. I have all of them converted to OBJ and have the ancient puddle jumper showing up in game. Before I get too far I was wondering about the correct placement of mod files. I read the wiki and understand the directory structure suggested but have a question about the units.csv and other files I will need to be adding things to. Do I create an additional units.csv (and others) in the Mod directory structure or just add them to the existing file? Does that make sense? Right now I have just added them to the existing units.csv but was thinking it would be far better if I could place ALL mod additions in one place.

hop over to www.ferryside.net to see screenshots as I get the ships into the game.

Tips etc are appreciated as well!

thanks!
wowsher

ps the same modelers also did some really great Battlestar work (new series) which I could convert to obj if anyone is interested. The modelers just want to be mentioned in the credits.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

From a practical viewpoint, it's probably best to treat the 'mod' as a completely seperate game with it's own dataset ... at least at present.

The ogre branch has improved (read: useful) mod support, but unitl that comes along what is currently in svn is undocumented (not too hard for me to remember though), and doesn't actually work too well (or at least, not in a way I find nice ;-) ).

So you can try using the existing infrastructure, but I'd recommend doing what every single other mod has done and just use a whole separate dataset (for now at least :-) )

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
wowsher
Trader
Trader

Post by wowsher »

ok I will just go ahead with that method for now. Thanks for the quick reply!

wowsher