New MOD Project [Space 1969]

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Thank you Klauss! :mrgreen:

I will implement this in Elite Strike as soon as possible.
kryogenix
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kryogenix »

Thanks for the docking hatch model Chuck. That's pretty damn cool! I'll happily take the schematics/references you have as well.

What would be an ideal maximum triangle limit for the ship models? I'd like to keep'em fairly simplistic for now so the game is playable on older hardware if possible. Textures may be pretty lame and not 100% accurate by any means for now until I can dig up/create some nicer ones. Last I heard, the current VS engine doesn't support bump mapping, right?

I'm still pulling my hair out trying to get used to Blender's interface but that'll get better with some time I think. I'm so used to Strata3D under OS X but OBJ export won't be there until the next release which isn't a free upgrade anyway. Blender seems to have some cool features though. It's definitely matured quite a bit since I played with it under FreeBSD a few years ago.

--Kevin
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

There is no hard limit. Don't make artistic sacrifices to save on polys, but don't waste polys either. Spend them wisely on detail, where they will make a difference.

If you want guidelines for optimal polycounts on an average machine (and reccomended polycounts for simplified LOD meshes) see Development:Model_Guidelines.

And no, we don't support bump mapping, but OGRE might... or even better, normal mapping.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Here's the space stuff references I collected (25 megs); just keep in mind they are the result of googling all over the place; some of the material may be copyrighted, so I wouldn't take images from there and put them in game; I just keep it for reference use only:
http://www.deeplayer.com/reference/spaceref.zip
kryogenix
Explorer
Explorer

Not dead....

Post by kryogenix »

Just letting people know, this project is not dead. I'm just REALLY busy lately and haven't had time to work on it. That and I was a bit discouraged when I lost the models I spent a couple days on in a disk crash a while back. I will resume work on it when I have a chance.

Anybody have a binary build for OSX or Linux/FreeBSD with the inertial flight model code in CVS?

I haven't had much luck building the CVS code under FreeBSD or OSX.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Not dead....

Post by dandandaman »

kryogenix wrote:Anybody have a binary build for OSX or Linux/FreeBSD with the inertial flight model code in CVS?
not a static binary ... but I have my dynamic ones for OSX if you want...

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso