Halleck and Nózmájner's Elite Mod!

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Awesome!

Inertial flight is indeed useful, although I want the default to be computer-controlled with compensators and so forth, since that was the default in both elite and fe2 as I recall. Can we make the SheltonKey into a toggle that will turn off all compensation (enabling pure intertial flight), or otherwise make a new function that we can bind a toggle key to?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's already that way.

InertialKey

is the key. Shelton just has some problems that don't go well with my idea of "turning off compensators". It is a toggle. As per my own post-InertialKey naming scheme, it should be Flight::Mode::InertialToggle and there should be another one, Flight::Mode::Inertial that would be a "pulsor" (like the shelton). I could do that name change, if you like it. I found it useful to create both bindings for all keys that accept them (ie. makes sense to have both): toggle and pulsor. Pulsor comes in handy when binding to joystick/mouse buttons, and toggle is better on prolongued usage or with keyboard. And having both doesn't hurt.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Awesome. Maybe bind Inertial Pulse to ` and intertial toggle to ~ (shift+`) for the time being.
DemonOLight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Cobra model

Post by DemonOLight »

Hi all, was just fooling around with blender today and made this model of how I think cobra might look like at higher polycount, this render is subsurfed, so it is not that smooth

The model is with fuel scoop and cargo expanders, I know that you are going for low poly as original, but if you want it you can have it.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hm... I feel that it just wouldn't be an elite game without stylish low poly ships, sorry.

Nózmájner has, however, been softening the hard edges through bevelling. Anything outside of that I would consider excessive.
DemonOLight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by DemonOLight »

Thats cool. like I said I was just fooling around in Blender, but it turned out decent enough, so I though I'll drop it here just in case.

Best of luck with the mod.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Well, thanks for thinking of this project. :)

BTW all, great news. George Hooper has given me permission to use all of his elite midi arrangements! So they will definitely be present for the first release.
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

DemonOLight: Huhh...
That's rounded for sure :D. At least for my taste.
Especially the stern, which should be more sharp and flat. (try out shift+W when some edges are selected on a subsurfed mesh)
And I always imagined the cobra without cockpit. And also, if I'm correct, the fuel scoop was more boxy.

But if you still want to play around, I can send you my models.

Anyway, I allways imagined the Adder rounded on a level something like this.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I have textured nozmajner's new cobra mk. III and gotten it in-game.
DemonOLight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by DemonOLight »

Thanks for C&C

I do agree that both edges on the front and sides are too rounded and the back (I'm guessing thats the stern :D) has to be flatter. The general concept of having smoother, more organic, curves on it is derived from my idea that it should resemble a snakes head to some degree. The effects I wanted to achieve were better when working on a low poly model with subsurf on, a few loop cuts do wonders to harden the edges. But my impression was that game engine doesnt subsurf :? . So I attempted to subdivide and smooth, smooth function has unfortunatly tendency do do some undesired things, I wish there was a sundivide function that uses same algoritm as subsurf.

When it comes to cockpit, it was based just on my vague memories of playing elite plus many years ago, and for some reason I was sure that it had a cockpit :D

I remember fuel scoop being square, but I figured it was due to games low poly nature :D and concidering Vega Strike's use of traktor beams it is not nessesary, I added it out of nostalgia. I loved the game, and would love to play a remake, but I would like a remake with models and eye candy upgrated to todays standards. Thats probly the only issue when my ideas do not agree with your project to full extent. I think there should be an option for the player to play original low polly, when he feels realy nostalgic, and enchanced graphics.

Thanks for the ctrl+w it produced some interesting effects :lol: before I figured what it was and how to use it :D I would have loved to help you with models and stuff, but unfortunatly my life atm does not allow for more than couple of hours here and there to do fun stuff, and that time is usualy spent gaming :D

Original music thats great Halleck :D that will deffinitevly make it feel closer to the original
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Yeah, I was thinking about more detailed models too, but Halleck said he wants to stick whit low poly models, so I didn't push it to hard, 'cos currently I've got my hands in some other things too. Maybe he will change his mind some time. :D

And you are right, in Elite plus and on some artwork, the Cobra has a cockpit, but it didn't emerged from the hull. But I think if they wanted to make a cockpit to it in Frontier, they would do it, cos there were a lot of ships with visible cockpit in that game. Anyway, I think it looks better without it. It looks somewhat heftier that way. In those artworks I seen, it looked like some kind of truck with them. :D

The fuel scoop is an equipment, which most likely had some other detail, like sensors, intakes and such, that's why I think it should be more flat and boxy. And you cannot replace the fuel scoop with tractor beam, cos if I remember correctly, you can't tractor in fuel from a sun or gas giant. It just replaces the cargo scoop extension of it.
Anyway, it would be great to have a working fuel scoop in the game. Is it can be done by scripting?

About subsurfacing: try alt+c on your subsurfaced object in Object Mode, it will convert the subsurfaced mesh to a similar non-subsurfed mesh.
And I said shift+w, it does something like loop cut, but it"s effect is different from the loop-cut's. It adjusts the inviolvement of the selection in the subsurfacing.
ctrl+w tries to wrap the selection around the 3d cursor, but it's not very confortable to use.

Anyway, Halleck: did you thinked about base and planetside backgrounds?
Maybe some hand-drawed, if I finaly become fammiliar with my tablet.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I am not sure about bases yet. If someone could implement an elite-style interface, it would rock.

BTW I finally got the tiger trader in. I will post screenshots later.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I have finally screenshotted the tiger trader: Image
Not much to show really. I mean, it is a tiger after all.

Also, here is the lifter model that noz and I have been bouncing back and forth:

Models that are complete and in-game, but have not yet been screenshotted:
-Krait
-Python
-Lion
-Escape Pod

Don't turn that dial! More screenshots coming soon. :D
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

New screenies as promised.

The Krait has finally arrived!

Python, at your service.

You can now eject in our stylish Escape Pod... if you get the chance.
DemonOLight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by DemonOLight »

Looks cool :D

Put 3 huge guns on that pod and make everyone sorry that they blew up your cargo hauler :lol: