Separate forum for different mods?

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Separate forum for different mods?

Post by charlieg »

A good way to keep the VS community whole as mods spring up would be to give each major mod it's own 'forum' outside of 'modding'.

The first one to come to mind is the Babylon 5 mod by Ethereal Walker.

It would also mean that people getting involved in the community of a mod would be coming to the VS website helping bolster the community, as well as remove the need for mods to establish their own chat forums.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

This argument had been brought up before and it was determined back then that no single mod was really large enough to warrant a separate forum. This may change eventualy , but of all the mods out there most only have a few topics directly if any associated with them, and most modes never get past the phase of the suggestion of a new mod. There would need to be some implied minimum posting and development limit before creating a new section. The idea of the modding section is more of a general catch all for the all mods not VS.

As of right now there are only 5 distinct mods out there.

Vega Strike
Vega Trek
Babylon5
Wing Commander
Rylix

Everything else is a sub of one of the above including one of mine i.e. Wasteland a sub of WC

Ace do you concur?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I'd have to agree with MKruer here. Vega Trek wouldn't really have much use for a dedicated forum now, or in the immediate future. Maybe when I make a fantastic new release, tons and tons of people will get interested, and the modding forum will be overflowing with Vega Trek topics... THEN I suppose Vega Trek would deserve its own forum. But not until then.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

maybe a link panel somewhere should go fine, I know phpbb allow to display one
I see dead polygons....
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I would suggest the Babylon5 mod is close to being big enough. Ethereal Walker is some missions and some publicity away from having a very popular mod indeed if his ship models are anything to go by.

I agree that it should only be on an 'as needed' basis, and you are right in asserting none of the mods are yet big enough. But it'd be "peace of mind" for people like Ethereal Walker if they knew they were welcome to a separate section on the VS boards once their mod matures.

That's my 0.02c, anyhow. :D
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

yes, the publicity is the main problem. If you look the starting date of my topic, I first spoke about the idea of making a mod on 9 july last year. I tryed to make some pub around but for now only 1 person helped me, Joe_Sanchez. I tried the usual way, b5blender.com, lwg3d, scifi-meshes, linuxgames, jeuxlinux.com, nekeme.net, happypenguin, and many other, (I don't exactly remember ;) ) but for now we are still only 2, a webmaster and a modeler/texturer. I don't really know what can help me to speed up the mod, as you might have noticed while waiting for python gurus I finished some new ships (on the site) but the python question is still unsolved ;)

Cheers,
Jerome
I see dead polygons....
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

etheral walker wrote:yes, the publicity is the main problem. If you look the starting date of my topic, I first spoke about the idea of making a mod on 9 july last year. I tryed to make some pub around but for now only 1 person helped me, Joe_Sanchez. I tried the usual way, b5blender.com, lwg3d, scifi-meshes, linuxgames, jeuxlinux.com, nekeme.net, happypenguin, and many other, (I don't exactly remember ;) ) but for now we are still only 2, a webmaster and a modeler/texturer. I don't really know what can help me to speed up the mod, as you might have noticed while waiting for python gurus I finished some new ships (on the site) but the python question is still unsolved ;)

Cheers,
Jerome
Well Jerome, I suggest the first thing you do is post a happypenguin.org release announcement. That will get you a lot of attention.

(I haven't seen any B5 stuff on happypenguin.org yet, and I've been receiving the RSS feed for the last 6 months, so you can't have posted one yet.)
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I sended many mails to submit an announce but unsuccessfully ;) It seems I must release something before posting an announce, well, I know what I have to do ;)
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

Ok, it seems crystal space guys were able to obtain an announcement for their crystal core project, without having produced anything, and the "game of the month" project should help me, I will try to obtain this title for june, if I can obtain it it will make me enough publicity to hire a full team of modders ;) wish me good luke I will need some ;)
I see dead polygons....
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Wow, it appears action has been swiftly taken on this matter. Hopefully it will help stir up extra activity among the many mods!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you can thank mkruer for this one
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/