Autopilot code in config. VS and Priv

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Autopilot code in config. VS and Priv

Post by Wendy-J »

THere were ships I wasn't familiar with, so I loaded them into the save-game to see what they were. Some were and are not in the units.csv file it turns out. they have NOT been removed from the file I was playing. i should try playing a base new game and see what happens.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

When I got the seg fault, I was just finishing up a buying spree prior to setting out for Atlantis. Just as I clicked launch, the game crashed.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Here's a screen dump of my console at the start of the game.

Code: Select all

root@FRED-Mini-2:/home/vegastrike-0-5-0# vegastrike
 In path /home/vegastrike-0-5-0/bin
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in /home/vegastrike-0-5-0
Using /home/vegastrike-0-5-0 as data directory
Using .vegastrike-0.5.0 as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/vegastrike-0-5-0/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /root/.vegastrike-0.5.0 As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /root/.vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/vegastrike-0-5-0
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/vegastrike-0-5-0/modules/builtin",r"/home/vegastrike-0-5-0/modules",r"/home/vegastrike-0-5-0/bases"]
['/usr/local/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk', '/usr/local/lib/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/vegastrike-0-5-0/modules/builtin', '/home/vegastrike-0-5-0/modules', '/home/vegastrike-0-5-0/bases']
Setting Screen to w 1024 h 640 and pitch of 4096 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shading_language_120 GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon_offset GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_OES_read_format GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array unsupported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression unsupported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (4 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
1 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
    AVB Top Shot Pegasus
axes: 8 buttons: 9 hats: 0
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
Contents of star system:
<system name="Empty" background="backgrounds/black" nearstars="0" stars="0" starspread="0"  y="0" z="0" x="0">
</system>

Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/EmptyFOUND MODIFICATION = player FOR PLAYER #0
CREATING A LOCAL SHIP : dumbfire
Hi helper play 0
HereInitializing optimizer
pox 119990000000.000000 -9000000.000000 -109990000000.000000
Force feedback support disabled when compiled
Loading completed, now network init
Loading active missions True
  IS NOW AT  Special/Empty

Launching bases for Special/Empty
Launching units for Special/Empty
finding quest
quest_drone
initin

Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Without the force on the joystick the stick flops about like a limp something or other. It caused problems with control. So, I switched it off and immediately got an I.O. failure. The keyboard lights are flashing at me and while the system MIGHT be operational, given I still have video, I sincerely doubt it. I believe it halted when the sound server failed. Now to reboot and see if I have any output in my files.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Wendy-J wrote:Anyone want to place odds on whether or not I can get it to replicate the failure?W.
100 to 1 that the video dosen't crash until you give it up as a fluke
game seems to crash fairly regularly, but i'd give it 50/50 of behaving if you get someone to help you look at it.

Good luck, hope it's not a Motherboard trying to die.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

travists wrote: Good luck, hope it's not a Motherboard trying to die.
Sigh....
With the rest of the crap going on, it wouldn't surprise me. What I think I have is a configuration issue in Xorg.config. Why else would I be running into I.O. errors? That's where all the GUI interface crud is initiated. As I was in BIOS, I noticed that one of my USB hubs shares the same IRQ as the video. Can't help thinking it's an IRQ config error. My joystick AND mouse are USB. The front panel is where I plug the joystick in. Want to take odds which hub uses IRQ 10? Maybe I can make them use different IRQs. Maybe not. It seems I may well have to disable that particular port just to find out which hub it is.

This is going well beyond speed, performance and auto pilot keys.

I think I need to tear things down and start over on this box.

W.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I've used puppy linux, seemes fairly stable. Nice and small to, load it on a usb drive and take your games (er, uh, that is to say, Desktop? Yeah, desktop.) with you.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, yes, it does sound like something is very wrong with your Xorg.

What about other programs? glxgears maximized?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

I managed to get the AutoKey working in Boo-boo, but I keep getting seg faults. I can run it reasonably stably in doze. I'll try going with 0.5.1 and see if it's any more stable.

As for frame rates, no matter what resolution, even in retro, I get really poor performance in Boo-Boo. I honestly think it's something to do with the latest update to Xorg. I resolved the configuration issues with the IRQs by disabling anything running on the same IRQ as the video drivers. Since I don't have a parallel printer and I'm not running anything requiring serial com ports, I disabled that port freeing up the IRQs and DMAs. That solved SOME of the problems, yet required I plug things into the back of the machine. It still doesn't fix the frame rate. Perhaps if I run it in full screen rather than windowed. In any case, doze seems to be the way for this thing to run when it comes to games -- assuming I don't run into any massive swarms of Retros or Pirates.

Klaus, thanks again for all your efforts. You really went above and beyond.

W.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Travists and Phoenix, you guys were a great help. thanks for everything. It fear it's an ageing beast, insufficient RAM and an old, not so good video chipset combined with an update that hammered it really badly.

W.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

hmm.. if it runs fine in windows you can probably rule out hardware, so its back to a pure software glitch. Has to be either running windowed or some configuration mishap. Even possible its a driver bug. Last resort will be to reinstall boo-boo, unless your at that point anyway.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Klaus, the issue with AutoKey not working is that each user in Linux has their own config file, rather than the common config file. Locate each user's file, edit it the way you like it and it works. It even warns you that you can't use it because of xyz. Just look at your destination VDU (Right VDU) as you press your key combo. I made mine shift ctrl a for standard autopilot and shift a for the teleport version. I suppose I could integrate some of the privateer stuff into it to get the fun cut scene of my ship flying by if I wanted it. My other issue is with how close I wind up to my targets. Again, I see the line to change in the config file, so it's easy enough to manipulate. Coming into your target when you're right on top of it can be a pain when you're under heavy throttle. At the same time, coming into a planet is equally painful when you haven't gotten up a good head of steam. It's something to remember when using that feature.

As for glxgears, I'm not certain. That seems to run at the same speed no matter what the size. I really do think it's my machine trying to keep track of every fight and squabble going on in the universe -- or at least that one system. I watched as at least twenty different flights of merchants retros and pirates spawned, each with numbers in the high teens. With each one, I watched the lines of code go slower and slower. As each ship was destroyed and my machine started to track the debris fields, things went slower still -- until the debris faded out.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

pheonixstorm wrote:hmm.. if it runs fine in windows you can probably rule out hardware, so its back to a pure software glitch. Has to be either running windowed or some configuration mishap. Even possible its a driver bug. Last resort will be to reinstall boo-boo, unless your at that point anyway.
I have to say so. I'll give that a shot. Like I said, with this intel video chipset and the latest Xorg update, things went to hell in a handbasket. I wouldn't have noticed it, except I was playing VS as my machine downloaded the update. When I quit, I saw it was ready for install. I let it go ahead. Twenty minutes later, I started a new game and, to be honest, I can actually see how slow things are going to be by how slowly or quickly the files load in the panel, or in terminal. When I can name the .png files as they load, I know I'm going to have S*** for a frame rate.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Klaus, interesting phenomena to report.
I was forced to shut down glxgears. It was dragging my system down. I went back to the screen and maximised it. No stuff, herky jerky! Maybe if I run the SYSTEM at a lower screen size, instead of the larger one.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Have you ever noticed that if you have a lot of tabs or windows open with your browser, it starts to drag your system down, even when you aren't surfing? I think it's the same thing here. You need to close EVERYTHING. Even any TSRs you may be running, just so you have the system resources available.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

When it comes to this machine, I'll have to be sure to use ONLY one thing at a time until I get more RAM -- assuming I can still find it for this thing. I seriously doubt I'll find a video card in the PCI market that will work. As I said, no ATX or PCI Express slots here. Maybe I'll S***-can the box, get a bigger one, put this board in the new box and make it my video server. then I can use the other machine for games. It's better suited for it. Slim-line cases are for the birds if you want to expand.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Glad to hear that hardware has been eliminated!
A lot of cards anymore are designed both for slim line and full, do your homework and you should find what you need. Drivers are a pain, but both puppy Linux and DSL are Linux destros that are quite light on their feet. Usually can run on an early Pentium w/ about 256 or 512 MB of ram. Nice GUI front end, too. It sounds like Boo-Boo is a bit resource heavy. The other nice thing is both are designed to be booted from cd-rom or USB as well as being installed to your HDD. If you can grab/spare a 4gb flash drive you can set it up to play with destros to find a gamming Linux.

***Edit: And yes you can still order PCI video cards, not as common anymore but avalible.
Last edited by travists on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Firefox versions before 7 had very serious memory leaks, so yes, be sure to close it or you'll suffer.

And yes, in linux at least, performance in windowed mode for intel chipsets is quite different than in full screen. They tend to perform a lot better at full screen, but be careful, because crashes at full screen are difficult to return back to normal. I'm usually forced to kill Xorg in those situations.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

At least in that regard, windows actually does better than linux. Guess that ca be classified as a windows bug then :lol:
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Yes, ocationaly the Evil Empire does somthing right. Bigest reason I don't make the switch myself is most of what I use runs on windows. But I'm still using XP so there! But then, I was happy in MS-DOS.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

klauss wrote:Firefox versions before 7 had very serious memory leaks, so yes, be sure to close it or you'll suffer.

And yes, in linux at least, performance in windowed mode for intel chipsets is quite different than in full screen. They tend to perform a lot better at full screen, but be careful, because crashes at full screen are difficult to return back to normal. I'm usually forced to kill Xorg in those situations.
I'll have to experiment. Maybe I can run with only say, Nautilus open to a more or less empty directory, but running at like 1024 x 600. Then run VS at the same res, but in windowed mode. That way, when it gives me a seg fault, I'll be able to recover. Right now, I run the system at 1680 x 1050 with no problems -- system wise. Drop that back and it should behave better for gaming.

One of these days I'll have a video card that can handle things.

No broken glass, but it might as well be.

W.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

pheonixstorm wrote:At least in that regard, windows actually does better than linux. Guess that ca be classified as a windows bug then :lol:

I've come to regard anything doze does well as a bug. It seems that when something works, the evil empire breaks it in the next release. =)

At least I have multiple machines and can dedicate one or two to gaming. thanks for the help
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

The sad part is, the joystick still has issues. You suffer with it because there isn't an app out there that will allow me to apply force to it all the time the way doze does. Not only that, but it acts like a mouse and conflicts with all my other mice. That's what causes my crashes. I'll have to remove it from Xconfig to allow things to work properly. That means I won't have a joystick in VS under Linux in this machine, unless I pull the board from the box and spread everything out on the desk much like my 450 is across the room. Know where I can find a slim PCI game port card? I can't help but laugh. I'm suffering from a leaky bucket!

W.
Wendy-J
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Wendy-J »

Hey Phoenix,
I was serious about your Grub prob. If you post the menu.lst file, I can edit it for you. It's really easy.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

More of a time problem rather than not knowing how to do it. Ive had to do this 3 or so times already since I installed ubuntu. I really wish gentoo still have a stage 1... I had soo much fun compiling the entire linux distro from scratch. Oh well.. maybe I can use the two 40gb drives and my dual proc PII as a linux test bed. Maybe run fedora, mandriva, opensuse, ubuntu... hmm wonder how many that system could handle. Oh well.. need to dig out all the parts and see if I can't just fit it in my 4U rackmount case and stick it in the garage to run something unimportant :lol: