Vega Strike engine

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Exarch
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Vega Strike engine

Post by Exarch »

I recall the source code being made available to the public. With that, could the engine be used in making something like a First Person RPG, or is it limited to Flight Sims only? Or even better, could Vega Strike be changed to be a Flight Sim and an RGP?
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

First Person shooter would be like developing another game engine(third person shooter would be more desirable for me but after all I would perfer only flight simming because its my favorite type of game gerne).

So to be on the easy side, its limited to flight engine. I don't know about planetary flight.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Hmm

Post by ace123 »

If you want, you can hack at the source code enough to get terrain working again... That way, you can get terrain to walk around in... You can mkae animated meshes of walking people, but all of this in the end is going to look pretty bad unlessyou rewrite half of the source code.

It would probably be easier to start from scratch... although you can still use some of the mesh and texture code, as well as collisions, and also bolts.

Also, note that if you use the Vega Strike source and make your game, I think it will need to be open source under the GPL.
Exarch
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Exarch »

Also, note that if you use the Vega Strike source and make your game, I think it will need to be open source under the GPL.
That wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, it sounds like everything else is going to be way more difficult than I had thought. Do you have any suggestions for free game engines that could be used for a First Person RPG?

Post by Guest »

Exarch wrote:Do you have any suggestions for free game engines that could be used for a First Person RPG?
Take a look at CrystalSpace.

http://crystal.sourceforge.net