WARHAMMER 40K MOD?

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Josef DeLaurel
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

WARHAMMER 40K MOD?

Post by Josef DeLaurel »

Hi I've only recently discovered VegaStrike and am enjoying playing the game enormously. After my first few hours playing I began wondering about the various mods available and came to have a look.

I'm a big warhammer 40000 fan, although I dont collect the miniatures, and was wondering if others out there would be interested in creating a VS mod relating to the 40K universe.... say Vega Strike 40000?

I'm not a programmer and I have no knowledge of how to mod VS but was wondering how others felt about the idea of a VS mod based on the 40K universe. Imagine trying to pilot your ships in between a glorious Imperial Fleet engaging a group of marauding Ork Roks.

Please let me know what you think of the idea. Although I'm no computer expert I can lead a team and create the drive and motivation to create a good mod. Also my knowledge of the fluff relating to this subject and how to convert it into VS would make a brilliant combination to create this mod. Write back and tell me your feelings. Thanks,
Joe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Josef DeLaurel not much actual coding but lots of work getting the art into game form then it boils down to cat wrangling all the artist types you need to get that art but elves and orcs in space why not :wink: though my experience for that is Spell Jammer any one for a hamster powered Tinker Gnome paddle wheeler :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

A good idea would be to start learning at least one of the things required for mod making. Well, just in case some spoiled artist gets frustrated for the "constructive criticism", so that you can show him how it's really done.

WH40K is a fun idea for a total conversion. Never been a great fan though. Best of luck!
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Yeah...making a mod of vegastrike is mostly collecting and replacing models and other art. besides a little python scripting, there isn't really any programming involved, and if you're really into this, I can try to script anything you need :) . Good luck love to see more mods of this great game :D 8) :wink:

Edit: just FYI, I know nothing about Warhammer 40k except what I just read from the wikipedia article. god bless wikipedia :wink:
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I'm having a really hard time finding WH40K space ships. After searching the web for 2 hours I had found 2 pictures of ships. One was a Space Marine Drop Ship; the other was a cruiser.

The Warhammer universe is way too infantry-oriented to be fun as a VS mod. A better idea would be using one's own imagination to create a similar universe. This would also be better, if WH40K is copyrighted.
Josef DeLaurel

Post by Josef DeLaurel »

Before we dive into the actual nitty gritty of how to create a VS version of warhammer 40K I would like those who would want to be part of this to step forward and tell me they're interested in contributing to this idea. I can see from the few responses so far that the mod 'idea' itself is appealing to other VS players so that is a start.

I am currently reading up as fast as I can on basic modding techniques etc. so I can efficiently run this type of project. If this idea is to get off the ground it needs to be fairly organised. We all have opinions and I would like to hear them but I need to get a base from which these views can be taken into account.

Even so, in answer to your post Phlogios I do believe that a Warhammer 40K 'style' version of VS is probably the way forward. Rather than religiously following the 'fluff' from the 40K universe we can create our own style of it to suite our own needs. Of course I could be wrong :D which is where others opinions come in. As to the ship art and styles I can get plans of the various vessels, alot of which give a lot of room for artistic flair around a standard starship shape.

Ever heard of Battlefleet Gothic? thats an official spinoff in the WH40K universe which depics the starship battles themselves using models, even so Games Workshop encourage Gothic players to customise their own fleets and ships. The starships of the Imperium for example are often unique yet at the same time following a basic build pattern. For example no 2 Oberon class Battleships are the same yet they do look similar. Moving onto the smaller ships of the universe (the ones we'll spend alot of time in probably :P) this is a very open ranged concept which basically leaves the ship designer to do as he pleases with the designs.

Finally the actual direction of the project hasn't even been decided yet. Do we want a VS 'trader/bounty hunter' style which basically transfers the VS game style into the 40K universe or do we want a game that focusses on the command of capitol ships? An arcade style of gameplay (not my favorite way of playing games admittedly). I personally prefer the 1st one but I want to know what you lot think! I'm very passionate about this subject area so get in touch with me here and post back about where you think you can help or where you'd like to work . Many Thanks,
Joe

missed abit more i wanted to say :D:
Also for help with you bgaskey the Games Workshop website is a good place to learn a basic overview and history of the 40K universe, just look it up on google. If you're still stuck gimme a shout n i'll send you some info on it all this applys to anyone else who can't fidn anythign out about the 40K universe/history. :) Thansk... again :P.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I took a look at some of the ships from Battlefleet Gothic, and saw how detailed they were. They have lots of -stuff- sticking out on the hulls, and this would be too hard (well, it takes time and even more GPU power) to model, let alone texture.

It would probably be more fun to just drop all the WH40K canon stuff and just start over, with a new universe which is just as bloody and graphic.

Well, similar in many ways, stuff that makes WH40K special would of course make this mod special too, if used properly. Like, huge people, blood, bloodthirsty aliens and ancient wars.
Josef DeLaurel

Post by Josef DeLaurel »

Oh don't worry you don't need all that stuff sticking out it's just on artist drawings :P They do look abit complicated at first glance. From an overall perspective they're relatively smooth all the details is very up close.
Basic Overview of ship designs:
-Imperial warships look kinda like old roman war galleys but with a tower on the back n big engines.
-Ork ships look like asteroids with engines.
-Chaos basically like Imperial but evil and corrupted.
-Eldar sorta fancy n delicate with 'sails'. (Also have giant floating worldships abotu the size of a moon)
-Tau a sort of hammerhead shape.
-Tyranid ships look like giant organic airships, think hindenburg but huge.
-Necron are unknown but probably like giant pyramids/monoliths. -
-Dark Eldar basically like eldar but more evil looking.

The smaller versions of these races ships vary and to not neccessarily match their Cap counterparts.

I'm not really interested in any other universes, the 40K one really captures my imagination with it's intensity and blood and grim outlook. I'm happy to plug my skills into this idea but not not really anything else. I just wouldn't have to drive to lead or participate effectively. Sorry you arn't interested Phlogios, I wish you well. If you change your mind or I do get any luck with launching this project idea I'll come looking for you and any help you can offer :D Anybody else got any input?