Vega Strike Mercs project - DEMO

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

seeks
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Open source?

Post by seeks »

well, its been quite a while since this demo was put here. as far as i can recall travis said he would release the source code after a few weeks... im pretty eager to take a look at it... so will this happen any time soon?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

ya it would be great to contact him about this...i'd be looking forward to it as well :-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
travis
Trader
Trader

source...

Post by travis »

Sorry it's been so long, folks.
A combination of dry rot in the storage area walls of my new house, and a sudden influx of 3 (!) simultaneous projects at work, and one quite large one due at the end of november sucked away all my spare time. :P

So. It's not documented. It's not pretty. God knows if it will build for you. But here it is - just so you at least have something to look at.

http://buildingworlds.com/VSMERCS/source.zip

This is only the source code and VC6 project, so you'll need to have the demo as well to run the compiled .exe

This requires the DX9 sdk and FMOD, which you can download from fmod.org

The project is probably set up crappy, but hopefully it shouldn't take you long to figure out. I apologize for the generally shabby code organization, and probably overall crap coding style. Self-taught may = inexplicable, so apologies all around in advance. You may find interesting nuggets of stuff in there that will be useful to you, however, and I'm happy to try to answer any questions - although due to aforementioned massive amount of work at my actual workplace, there may be some delay between Q and A - hoping to get back to deving this in a month or so when things have calmed down.

Thanks for your patience, and good luck :)

Travis
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

cool travis...do you have an updated version with all GPL stuff?
that would be awesome--I'd put it up on the downloads section

lemme know
travis
Trader
Trader

Post by travis »

You mean the text docs with the GPL info? If you've got good ones from VS that I could use, that'd be great.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Well I mean last time you said your art wasn't all GPL yet...have you remedied it
travis
Trader
Trader

Post by travis »

Gotcha - the source doesn't include the art or sounds though, so it should be OK as is.
seeks
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by seeks »

Thanks travis, I will enjoy playing with it!!

Anyways, I tried to compile it with VC++. The workspace/project files works fine. But Im not familiar with fmod, so I downloaded it, and added the include and lib directories and fmodvc.lib in the project settings (link) and compiled it. I got a few problems, but since Im new to fmod Im not sure whyt this happens...any ideas?

Compile log:

Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'SpaceSim - Win32 Release'.
--------------------Configuration: SpaceSim - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
billboards.cpp
camera.cpp
chunk.cpp
d3denumeration.cpp
d3dsettings.cpp
d3dutil.cpp
debrisfield.cpp
dx8app.cpp
dxutil.cpp
File.cpp
hud.cpp
hull.cpp
junk.cpp
main.cpp
material.cpp
mesh.cpp
missile.cpp
mission.cpp
movie.cpp
particlesystem.cpp
projectile.cpp
refmanager.cpp
G:\games\vsmercs\source\refmanager.cpp(237) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
ship.cpp
soundmanager.cpp
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(114) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(115) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(116) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(117) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(118) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(119) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(120) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(122) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(123) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(124) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(126) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(127) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(128) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(130) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(131) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(133) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(134) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(135) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(137) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(138) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(139) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(140) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(142) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(143) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(144) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(146) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(148) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(149) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(150) : error C2660: 'FSOUND_Sample_Load' : function does not take 4 parameters
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(162) : error C2065: 'FSOUND_Stream_OpenFile' : undeclared identifier
G:\games\vsmercs\source\soundmanager.cpp(162) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'struct FSOUND_STREAM *'
Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
starfield.cpp
trail.cpp
utilities.cpp
Error executing cl.exe.

SpaceSim.exe - 32 error(s), 0 warning(s)
seeks
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by seeks »

I solved it, it was very simple. Vsmercs was coded using fmod version 3.6.3, but I installed the newest one which is 3.7.0. Obviously, the number of arguments has changed, and the function now takes 5 instead of 4 args. Just add an extra one with 0 as value. Also, the last error was because a function has got a new name; FSOUND_Stream_OpenFile is now called FSOUND_Stream_Open and also takes an offset parameter for pak/wad/data file loading (just change the name and add an extra 0 here as well and you'll be fine).

Remember to replace the 3.6.3 fmod.dll with the 3.7.0 one as well.

It now compiles like a dream and runs just like it's supposed to :D