Robotech Mod?

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

Sounds like the system that starseige used, where you aimed with the mouse.

It was pretty cool, but I personally prefered the MW2 system.
Actually in MW2 I used the mouse to aim and used the joystick/keyboard to steer the mech. But can a script or something be made to change the way the controls work in VS for particular vehicles - like mechs - so that this could be accomplished?
"It's the most bizarre part of this entire campaign."

Post by Guest »

etheral walker wrote:I really don't think such a project can be done with vs. how will you animate a walking robot? Yes, you can use frames, but in this case you must export a full walk cycle, a full run circle, reexport them when the torso as rotated a bit, same thing for guns position and each moving part... You need skeletal animation (ragdoll) if you want to have a chance to succeed. And there is no skeletal animation in VS. You should have a look on crystal space, or neoengine, or nebula device, or nel, or ogre3d, but not in a space simulator
Blender is an awesome open source 3d modeling tool.. features a full game engine .. UV texture editing and unwrapping.. and a really powerfull organic and mechanical animation system. :) and it is python scriptable .. you can write python export scripts or use the existing ones.. check it out! http://www.blender3d.org/ there are new video tutorials you can download with version 2.35 :)
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

We are well aware of blender. What we're saying is that our engine isn't capable of that level of animation support at the moment.
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

Interestingly enough, I have some thoughts about the Battletech mod, too. But obviously not about 'mechs. VS isn't about ground combat anyway.
But you're missing some interesting point: besides the ground-poundering mech Battletech universe has another interesting asset: aerospace fighters! Plus shuttles and (rare) battleships. I don't know about simulation games of this kind.
Speaking on the FASA, Micro$oft and mods: somehow people do mods for other games just inside the Battletech universe. How? An iteresting question.
http://www.battletechmodproductions.com/ for example.
I've heard about Battletech mod for Homeworld 2. There're infantry Battletech mods for HalfLife and UT, too.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I love Aerotech ;-) that's actually the only Battletech boardgame I own
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Sryth
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Sryth »

Been looking at the thread for a couple of days now and decided to chime in.

1st if you haven't seen robotech or have forgotten all most all of the entire 1st series takes place in space, with a side trip to mars but you could build a very good space based mod with whats available(although somewhat linear). Also Harmony Gold(people who own rights) I believe(don't quote me) has a "we don't sue fans" policy so the mod most likely wouldn' be quashed. Also I worked on the Freespace 2 Robotech mod developing the campaign and I never heard a peep about copyright infringement

2nd Battletech and all that involved is now owned by Wizkids Games been that way for a couple years now(the guy the started fasa and battletech started wizkids) anyway I don't remember hearing them complain about using the old battletech may get in some heat if you tried to use the new Wizkids created stuff.

3rd I have built a lot of robotech models and have a lot of reference images along with stuff that was in the roleplaying games(big robotech fan). I am also a descent modeler so if anyone is serious about doing a mod count me in.
Star Dragon
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Hmmm

Post by Star Dragon »

3 years laters...

Coordinator of the Freespace 2.0 Mod here.

The way we got around changing forms was a specific command in mission creation "Change Model - sexp".

With the touch of a button (like 1,2, and 3) you go to Fighter, Gerwalk, or Battloid modes whenever you desire..

I never did get a list of members to credit from Max when he gave the go ahead for me to take over... (so if Syrth or other missing members see this chime in, I left my email)

As for the "campaign", I had to re-do the first two missions that were in the first mod (as it was more of a tool kit you used the resources in FRED to make your own missions with). Out of 18 I had planned I have 7 missions in various stages of completion, so I would be VERY interested in finding your campaign missions (if they still exist?)

Not meaning to plug here, just share info...

Anyway if you've seen the Starfox mod, ground combat IS possible meaning Tank AI and gravity has been solved (other teams are still working on undewater stuff though). But they clearly have mastered a ground envoroment with a city scape that doesn't float away from the field and yet is destroyable. (I love the streetlamps in particular).

I can't comment on ground critters/Mechs cause they are still in fevelopment by Twisted Infinities team (aside from the 2-3 screens they released long ago) so we all have to wait on those.

Anyway I think that what they have done with was a pure space combat simm is amazing. True it may never be as good as shatterstar or others, but it fills my need for mecha/anime stuff. (plus I can mod it).

I would take a look at the newer mods (liek BSG) and see how they have animated textures (for cylons) or the Shivan SCP facelift (glowy/ pulsating red glows), or the Star Trek bussards (now pulsating). Ideas like that can be translated over to other projects can only enhance everyone's gaming experince.

Will be looking around to see the changes here. L8tr!

Oh, and watch out for Invid!
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/606/ ... ces8ka.jpg
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!" - Brig Gen Star Dragon...