drat u pontiac!

This is the location for all mods to collaborate. Anyone making or planning their own mod should post help requests, screen shots and news here.

Moderators: Omega, tillias, Mod Contributor

FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

drat u pontiac!

Post by FlyingAce »

krud, u got there first. anyway, here's my prometheus

I'm was in the middle of putting in phaser banks and other various bumps n stuff when I saw pontiac's version :P guess I'll get to work on that ferengi D'Kora
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

You guys look like you're going to give me a difficult choice, because both models look great. I am overjoyed that there's more Trek models, but gosh.

A Ferengi marauder would be great to have! You get bonus points if you texture it.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

one thing I noticed, is it possible to have warp nacelles move when a certian event occurs? like the warp nacelles on the sauccer section of the prometheus coming out during multi-vector-attack mode, or voyager's nacelles moving up?
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

pontiac- I was wrong about the hardened edges thingy. it does export fine. I dunno what happened the first time.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

once you finalize the model and make sure that the 3 subunits can each exist alone, playbalanced and all, I'll add a keystroke to enable vector attack mode :-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Pesonally i like your model much better FlyingAce, especially because i haven't finished mine.... i started it some time ago, but i never got enough time to complete it.
When PeteyG mentioned in the forum he would love to see a prometheus model in his mod i sent it to him.
In my model you can see, that the alpha-part has an extension in the back. i haven't removed it, so i looks a bit different than it should like.
Also i haven't added any details to the model (bottom of the ship,warp-engines,...) .

The only thing i think it's better on mine is the bridge :P

Pontiac

PS:Glad the hard edges worked 8)
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

does anyone know where the torpedo tubes on the prometheus are?

and hellcat, there are various phaser banks and stuff that are covered by the rest of the prometheus when it's not in multi-vector attack mode. they would need to be disabled.
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

about playbalancing- The prometheus is basically the intrepid, except stronger, faster, and better. it has 18 phaser banks, 5 p-torps, and it very agile when it is separated. wheras intrepid has 13phasers and 4 p-torps. So it's kinda difficult to balance something that's inherently better on all aspects. however, when whole, the prometheus has 12 phasers and 2photon torps, so...
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

yet another thing- how will shield meshes work? there would need to be seperate meshes for each section's shield and there would need to be another for when it's whole/
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

FlyingAce wrote:yet another thing- how will shield meshes work? there would need to be seperate meshes for each section's shield and there would need to be another for when it's whole/
The easiest way to do this is to give every ship his own/factions shield.
I think this is possible even with the last release.

Search for ShieldMesh in:
http://www.joeredcloud.com/kandarwiki/i ... tUnitFiles

EDIT: This thing with showing whole/part of the shield could be solved by makeing everything of the shield transpartent except for the region where the beam/whatever hits.
@hellcatv: is this possible

Pontiac
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

PeteyG, what poly level do u suggest for theese star trek ships, I'm thinking of doing a LOD for the Intrepid cuz it's 1800 poly's. the entire Prometheus with all sections combined is 1600 poly's and 800 with LOD
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

FlyingAce wrote:I mean, how would each section each have an entire shield when separated, and share a shield when whole?
Ahhh, i misunderstood that one ;-)

I think this must be coded into the game to work.

Pontiac

EDIT: @FlyingAce where did your post go, which i just quoted?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the way the shield would work is that each section could have a shield mesh that covered its part of the ship.

then when all put together it'd line up

the only trick would be to make the texture fade out towards the 'seams' so that it wouldn't show that the bottom thing got hit and the top didn't

I could also make the shots less "bright" when they hit a particular part of the ship...that would make it light up less of the ship than it does now
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

@hellcatV and what about the phasers that are obstructed by other parts of the ship
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you can either make the phasers autotracking with direction near to where they would fire... then set the maxtrackingcone variable in the radar so that it doesn't fire at too wide an angle

otherwise you can make it on a turret and restrict the turet to a right arc
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I mean the phaser banks/P-torps that are covered completely when the ship is combined and can only fire in multi-vector attack mode
Last edited by FlyingAce on Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.