No music on Mandrake 9.1

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
RickS

No music on Mandrake 9.1

Post by RickS »

I have just downloaded and installed Vegastrike and the data and music files. I dont get any music when the game starts the music starts then quits. any ideas
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

is your music/ directory in data full of .ogg files
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
RickS

Post by RickS »

It is in ogg files.

Same pb

Post by Guest »

I have a similary pb
I run a LFS distro with KDE.

I've downloaded the data, sources and binaries. I can't get music and sound (it's either music or sound), with or without KDE sound daemon enable. I've also tried different options for sound and music with vssetup, but no success.

Could anyone help me ?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

did you download the music module

ls data/music

see if htere are ogg files there

if not then you gotta download the music module and move it there
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

well, I don't know about this specific problem (as I don't have the music files), but in general, sound in linux with VS is not exactly great :-/

I play VS with my sound setting set to sound only, yet occasionally, when I load up VS, it loads up as music only (and plays the old WC midis I have)...

I'm guessing the sound server may be slightly bad, or something similar, cause whenever I change it to music and sound or music only, music doesn't play!

I think this may be related, but I wouldn't have a clue what the problem is or why it happens (and until now didn't realise anyone but me was experiencing it)!

Dan.a
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

never had this problem with my SB live! on linux,win, or mac
RickS

no sound on mandrake9.1

Post by RickS »

OK I have the ogg files and they are in the correct direcotry, I am using a cmedia8738 chipset sound card that is using the alsa driver. I went to the ogg files and they are all there and sound fine in a external player. However when I play the game you can here one start and then it cuts out, is it possible that the use of the alsa driver is the problem. I could install a sound blaster 16 card and see if that works.
RickS

Post by RickS »

OK sorry for the confusion yes the ogg files are in the data/music directory, I thin kthe game loks great just would love to have the music working.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hellcatv wrote:never had this problem with my SB live! on linux,win, or mac
yeah....probably the drivers for my onboard crap....would be nice to have it working though ;-/

Dan.a
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hmm.....I've also noticed that some of the sounds are stereo? maybe that's why I'm having trouble with the cockpit sounds....they aren't played by openAL like mono are they?

Dan.a

Post by guest »

I have debian testing, cs4610 sound card with oss drivers, and the same problem. VS can be played in either sound or misic mode, but not sound and music together.
RickS

openAL

Post by RickS »

Is it possible that opanal is the problem, I am using the libopenal that came with mandrake 9.1 do I need a different version of openal for this game to work properly
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

music and sound require different wavform paths...
you need to be able to play 2 sounds in 2 differnet programs to get them to run at the same time.
vegastrike spawns the sound server and then the sound server plays the music and VS plays the sound
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Anonymous wrote:music and sound require different wavform paths...
you need to be able to play 2 sounds in 2 differnet programs to get them to run at the same time.
vegastrike spawns the sound server and then the sound server plays the music and VS plays the sound
yes, my Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio card can do that :-) Yet, it doesn't work for VS :-/

EDIT: no, my Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio card can't do that :-( That's why it doesn't work for VS :-/ (I was using two apps that were both using esound to write to the card!).....any chance of giving the soundserver esound and arts support?

Dan.a

I am guest with debian, cs4610 and oss

Post by guest »

Anonymous wrote:music and sound require different wavform paths...
My card is not able to do this. However other games produce misic and sounds together. I have no idea how does it work. Is there any chance that VS will ever do this?
RickS

Soudn Server

Post by RickS »

Is it possibly a problem with with aRts sound server, I know my sound card can handle more thank one device at one time, IE Xmms and a game or avi file. with no problem, One question does Vega Strike Require the sound card to be set to full duplex.

Post by guest »

SDL based games do sounds and music without problem, openal -- don't.
RiickS

Still dont understand no music and sound together

Post by RiickS »

OK, maybe I am lame and just dont get it. There has to be a way to set this game up to play both sound and music. The music starts and then quits so the program is trying to spawn the sound server, the sounds seem to play in the game but the music does not. several other games require spawning of teh sound server, chromium for on, can play music and sound at the same time, it doesnt use openal tho, but I have an mp3 directory which it plaays from and then it has excellent sound effects. How can I tell the game nosound just to see if the music starts up by itself.

Post by guest »

There is "music only option" in vssetup. Does it work?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

OpenAL's mp3 playing system is unstable and crashes often--we decided to offload the work to a program that could die and respawn with no trouble

this works on all modern soundcards (turtle beach, sound blaster live!, etc)

older soundcards will have to live with the either/or situation

this is a design decision and will not change unless someone were to rewrite the soundsystem to link with SDL--unfortunately that would require us to keep two sound trees cus the mac doesn't support SDL very nicely yet (at least on my computer)
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

I believe a lot of work has been done (is being done) on the mp3 side of things, and OggVorbis support is being worked on for windows as well (so win/mac/lin will all soon have decent music support under openAL) :-)....until that happens though, it would probably be a waste of rescources trying to change it all...

Dan.ac

and RiickS: chromium does use openAL, for both music and sound (at least on the one I've got)

Dan.a