forum probs

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Daishi
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

forum probs

Post by Daishi »

I keep getting "No posts exist for this topic" for every post i click and cant read anything /:
hai
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

me too

Post by ace123 »

Everything gives me the same error.
I have tried clicking on the new posts button, the thread itself and the latest post and all of them give me the exact same error.
The only excpetion was this thread.
Daishi

yup

Post by Daishi »

looks like someone screwed something up..odd this post is readable
hai
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Perhaps only old posts and threads are affected.

In that case, that causes me a bit of concern... did we lose the old database!!??!!?

</panic>
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Not likely, since we can still log in and the total users and also the total message counts are still working. All of which would be in the same database, but maybe in different tables.

Might just be a bug in the code, or maybe the server upgraded their php or their mysql.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I am currently looking into what has happened. It appears that sometime last night, early this morning that the MySQL database became corrupt, and information was lost. The good news it that the only part that was affected was the Forum Messages, everything else has remained in tact. Just to be safe we are currently contacting SourceForge to have them restore the entire database from the previous day. If this is successful everything will be restored, and this message will fail to exist along with any messages that were popped after the last back up. So for right now, save those Ideas and Comment, and bug till the forums are back up.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Genrally, you can repair a corrupted MySQL database quite easily.

You can use the excellent phpMyAdmin. With the latest version, simply select your database in the left hand frame, then in the right hand frame at the bottom of your table list select "check all" and just to the right of that in the dropdown choose "repair table".

9 times out of 10 that will fix what is ailing you.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

If it were only that simple. The table in question is totally gone including all the information this is the table the stored all the messages so there is no way to repair the table after it has be removed other then restoring form a backup. I guess this is the 10 time.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident

So how long does it take?

Post by Guest »

So how long does it take to restore from a backup?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

no idea.... if we had made the backup the answer would be 5 minutes...
but since we were negligent these past weeks it will take however long the admins deign to take to restore :-)

so we'll just have to be patient

I just hope they have a backup at all
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

source forge forums

Post by ace123 »

Until we get this resolved, we could go back to the SourceForge forums temporarily and then the stuff we post will be preserved after the backup. At least they shouldn't crash...
Jimmy Hendrix

memories...

Post by Jimmy Hendrix »

back in 1997 i had a seagate hard drive spindle motor fail. Most likely cause was a brown out since the neighborhood i was living in at the time constantly had the power "dim." And since i left my pc on all the time, it was always getting hit by them.

Several techs i had talked to confirm that brownouts are actually worse than surges on hard drives. go figure.

But i lost all my data that day. All of it, and no backup. I was devastated :oops: But i learned a valuable lesson. Always have a backup. Nowadays not only do I do a system backup, but i also backup my core data onto my ISP in an zipped PGP file.

Its certainly alot harder to do total backups though. For instance, i havent been backing up any of my mp3's, but at least that stuff i can recover if the worst should happen.

Are you experienced?
Daishi

hrm..

Post by Daishi »

umm hellcatv can you repost your reply to my lowfps prob? well if its anything that may help..this sucks /:
hai
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: memories...

Post by Shrike »

Jimmy Hendrix wrote:Several techs i had talked to confirm that brownouts are actually worse than surges on hard drives. go figure.
Yup. I was an electrician for 8 years, so I can confirm that. It's simple, as voltage goes down, amperage goes up, for the same wattage consumed.

So, if you normally have 120 volts, and the brownout drops it to 90 (this is pretty common), your load has gone up by 25%, and thus your amperage goes up by 25%.

This isn't too bad on things with fat wires, like air conditioners and such, but on circuit boards 25% is many times enough to burn one of the tiny "traces".

I tell people:

"Don't bother to buy a surge protector, since surges are quite rare and usually only a percent or two above the normal, and computer power supplies can usually clamp that small amount of surge. It's the brownouts that screw up electronics the most, so if you are going to buy anything, buy a UPS with a good battery in it. And the UPS will stop surges too."
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Hopefully, with a new work week starting, there will be someone at the big SF getting something done about this issue.

My fingers are crossed.