Please advise how to set up large battle

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
anvari257
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Please advise how to set up large battle

Post by anvari257 »

Hi! My professor suggested I take a look at Vega Strike and I would be most grateful for any tips/pointers to get started.

I am doing academic research into how to get large numbers of players into the same battlefield. For my
project my goal is to get actual network traces from a game and was hoping to use Vega Strike to do this.

Firstly, is this the correct subforum to be asking about such questions? If not, where should I be asking?

Assuming this is the correct forum, what should I be doing to get started? I assume I must get vegaserver
running and then set up bots to connect to the server over the network (to simulate human players) ?

Finally, what is the largest game in terms of number of players that Vega Strike has hosted that members of this board know of?

Many, Many Thanks in advance,
Ali
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Please advise how to set up large battle

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Ali we have dropped the server from the our current efforts as it never worked properly and it only allowed two players to connect for for one on one combat it never supported real multi-player games at all. You may benefit from how we generate and control NPC units. A further caveat we only have Linux executables it can be built for Windows and OSX but we just do not have the infrastructure to generate them yet and in the Windows case the settings app does not build at all as one of the dependencies GTK 3 is flagged as virus laden(waiting on Microsoft's vspgk team to clean that up).So going over the code on Github may be your best option at this time and you can also join us on our Gitter chat https://gitter.im/vegastrike/community you can sign in with either Gitlab,Github or Twitter accounts for a more real time conversation.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
alexis92
Trader
Trader

Re: Please advise how to set up large battle

Post by alexis92 »

It seems like an interesting project. I wonder what field of study this would fall under. Some social science, perhaps?