A few questions from a player starting out

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Translatordude
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

A few questions from a player starting out

Post by Translatordude »

So, looks like there's still at least a bit of activity here. I just randomly picked up Vega Strike a few days ago. Have been playing around with it and now have a bunch of questions. If anyone is still out there, I'd appreciate some hints or maybe if someone pointed me in the direction of a more active VS community.

1) How much is actually implemented? The background in the database paints a pretty detailed and dynamic world, but I can't figure out just how much of it is there. Is the confed/aera war ongoing, and if yes, how does it reflect on me personally?

2) What exactly is there to do? I have the Llama and I keep running errands here and there to make some money, hoping every time that I won't run into any hostiles. I'd love to get or make a better ship, but everything is prohibitively expensive and the Llama won't take any significant unpgrades. Am I really just stuck doing cargo runs and patrols for the observable future until I slowly work/trade my way up to the millions needed to buy a decent ship? Ideally I'd love to build up some cash, get better ways to defend myself, maybe track and somehow help the confed war effort - can I do that?

3) What should I make of the news? I keep seeing news that seem to be event hooks like the Abu Dhabi thing or the Blobs, but I can't really even get to where those stories are supposedly breaking - none of the destinations are in my nav computer. For that matter, what about the main story campaign? I took the mission from the guy in the bar on the first planet, didn't get paid anything for it, and haven't seen anything story-like since then.

Quick edit: 4) Is there a way to check which ship is compatible with which upgrades? I'd love to get a tracker for combat, but the Llama won't take any sensor array beyond the most basic one. Will a Plowshare? How do I check?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: A few questions from a player starting out

Post by loki1950 »

The war is going on just not close to the starting sector newbie players would be very frustrated now would they ;) and the universe is different with every new game .
2) As for getting cash to buy that killer ship just hack the save file it's just a text file the very fist number is your cash balance :shock: just poke around here on the forum for more detail on how to do that.Now helping out the war effort you are a privateer just take a couple Aerean ships then they come looking for you loaded foe bear :mrgreen:

3) Yeah the news is really random for anywhere far away but close systems do have some good tid bits for players BTW you will show up in the news for each of your kills.The main campaign was never finished and peters out after just a few encounters.

4)There is no way of checking in game except at the ship dealer/upgrades station buy what is offered for sale and out of the way stations do not have everything in stock :twisted:

Have fun

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: A few questions from a player starting out

Post by TBeholder »

There should be enough of resources to upgrade for better income. I used to get jump drive, then Plowshare, then either wait for a decent fighter, or get Shizu (Rlaan scout ship, found on desert planets) for 2x medium beams. I bind lateral thrust to keypad either way, and if you got it on keypad or joystick, Rlaan ships really rock (they have no afterburner, so not suitable for jousting, but also thrust equal in all directions).
For self-defence, the simplest solution is to run toward something with big turrets when there are pirates, until you can swat them like flies. Just don't get caught in crossfire. Also, selling those starting guns to buy more cargo allows to buy actually useful ones sooner. :D
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter