Crash on Windows 8

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Bryan334
Explorer
Explorer

Crash on Windows 8

Post by Bryan334 »

First of all, this is a fantastic game, and I hope this problem can be fixed. My praise to the developers :) . My system is a 'Toshiba Satellite C55-A' labtop, with an Intel Core i3-2348M CPU @2.30 GHz 2.30GHz, and 4 GB of ram. It has a 64-bit Operating System (Windows 8 ), and a x64 based processor. The graphics card is an 'Intel HD Graphics 3000' driver version 9.17.10.3040.
Upon installation I ran the setup and when clicking on an option, the setup program crashed. When attempting to start vegastrike, the cursor changed to the normal loading indicator but then nothing happened. However, I found both programs to work fine after running with administrator privileges. I configured my controls on the vegastrike config file, and then started a new campaign. Everything was working fine, I decided to load another saved game and it successfully loaded. I closed down vegastrike, and the following day I tried to load up the same saved game but a crash occurred . If its of any use, the crash occurs right after the loading screen says, "noise.png". Also, new campaigns load up with no problem. The weird part is I have another saved game , and it loads with no problem, but then when I try to go through a jump gate, another crash. "
stderr.txt and stdout.txt is what I got when attempting to load the saved game. The others are from the crash that happened when I tried to jump.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bryan334 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Crash on Windows 8

Post by klauss »

This has been fixed in SVN, instructions on how to cherry-pick the fixes can be found here.

PS: for the curious, the diagnostic process hinged on that "noise.png" thing, because "noise.png" is the normal map for the glass technique, that makes those GPU drivers crash ;)

PS2: You'll have to disable shaders as well. Your GPU drivers are broken, and unless intel ships a fix, disabling shaders is your only chance. Funny thing is, it works fine in linux.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Bryan334
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Crash on Windows 8

Post by Bryan334 »

No more crashes, In the setup I toggled, 'onboard shader' :) Thanks for your help klauss!