Win32 SVN - correct installation

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Re: Win32 SVN - correct installation

Post by shenle »

Wait, I'm working on something.

Basically I installed python2.7 in windows, then launched VS. It was working. Then I looked throughh the installation directory of python, and it had automatically compiled some modules. I took those modules and saved them, then uninstalled python. I nuked my VS again, and am currently re-downloading a clean copy from SVN to make sure no remnants exist. This will take some time. I then plan to add back all the modules (from: missing_libs, additional_libs, my modules taken from ubuntu and the new ones compiled) and add them to VS. If that works I will make a big package with everything that needs to be added so you can run VS freshly checked out on a system that doesn't have python installed.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Okay here is a package with all the modules that you must drop in data/modules/builtin (in addition to the package py27_modules.7z) to make VS work on a windows machine without python installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

shenle wrote:
klauss wrote:Did you see this post?
Yes I did. I am missing a bunch of modules listed there. I don't know where to get them, since a package was never made with all the ones I don't have. The latest distribution of python 2.7 for windows (2.7.6) doesn't have them. There are a bunch of source python files .py but not compiled modules. If those are required to run the svn binary, why not include them in the svn?
No, the pyc aren't necessary. They're faster (startup, not runtime), but they're not necessary.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

klauss wrote:
shenle wrote:
klauss wrote:Did you see this post?
Yes I did. I am missing a bunch of modules listed there. I don't know where to get them, since a package was never made with all the ones I don't have. The latest distribution of python 2.7 for windows (2.7.6) doesn't have them. There are a bunch of source python files .py but not compiled modules. If those are required to run the svn binary, why not include them in the svn?
No, the pyc aren't necessary. They're faster (startup, not runtime), but they're not necessary.
I tried with .py files. Didn't work.
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That's quite weird.
Wing Commander Universe
Zolk
Trader
Trader

Post by Zolk »

Hello!

I still have my problems with Vegastrike, still the old error with "no rooms specified" and "E:\Games\Vegastrike52\modules\builtin" in stderr.
I've deleted all vegastrike - dirs on E:, an the dir E:\Games never existed.
I've looked for vegatrike in the registry, an found no entry with E: (I think the entries I found were from svn).
I've deleted .vegastrike in the home directory and calles VS Setup again.
I looked at the contents of .vegatrike an found none.

Where does E:/Games come from?
happy space flight

Zolk

It is nice to be important but more important to be nice
Zolk
Trader
Trader

Win32 SVN - correct installation - But

Post by Zolk »

Hello!

I solved my installation problems by adding additional python files as found in tzhe thread mentioned.

I can know start the game and I played the tutorial without problem.
But when I returned and looked in the mission computer and there at the news, all news not capitalized were shown without any blanks, making them hard to read.

The other texts (by Oswald, or when hitting F1, or when seeking a mission) were fine.
happy space flight

Zolk

It is nice to be important but more important to be nice
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

ermo wrote:I just tried the following on Windows:

1. Check out the VS win32 module via TortoiseSVN (succeeded)
2. Check out the privateer_wcu source code via GitHub for Windows (succeeded)
3. Copy the bin\ folder from the VS win32 module to the privateer_wcu\ folder (succeeded)
4. Extract the VS data\py27_modules.7z into the root of privateer_wcu\ (succeeded)
5. Run bin\VS Setup.exe from the privateer_wcu\ root (works)
6. Run bin\vegastrike.exe from the privateer_wcu\ root -- this is where things fall apart for me.

In 6., I only get a missile unit for whatever reason. Is there anything in particular I need to do/set up in a .bat file for privateer_wcu to work on windows? :)
Still about on occasion.... Star Citizen, you know....
Anyway, I recall hitting this wall, but not how I got around it. I'm thinking it is looking in the wrong place for something.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

UP !

Yes , the problem is not fixed and we , the future dev team ( :lol: ) need to get in .
http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 57#p135457
So what ?
:wink:

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PaulB »

Excuse me for butting in - especially since I know very little about all your work on this.
But - am I not correct in saying the .pyc are irrelevant in the context that when you run the program it compile all the .py files being used into the .pyc files?
And if I am correct then the main problem would be the missing .py files since they are essential in being able to compiie the .pyc files so the game can run?

And undoubtedly you all know far more than I about what you are doing but one thing I ran across while I was adding the PPG Galaxy ship and Tachyon cannon and Plasma beam and Proton Torpedo to Vegastrike was that I )apparently this was the cause) used a TAB in ship_upgrades.py ad started getting the No Rooms error and only fixed it when I concluded that was the issues and used spaces instead.
So I only mention this to conclude that many things could cause No Rooms, probably like missing .py files, corrupted .py files, and formatting mistakes, yes?

I sure can't wait to see this PCU++ or WCU when there is a finished Windows version.

Paul
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hello Paul !

Thank you for the help . :wink:
Sure , a lot of things can cause the " no room syndrom " , and it's a good idea to list them
all .

So you opened the list :

CHECK LIST FOR PREVENT THE NOROOM SYNDROM :
  • _ Check the .py files because of the problem of tabulations that is relevant to python :
    INDENTATION ( yeah in c++ we use secure brackets )
    Some reading about : http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/Python/blo ... ation.hawk
    _ Bad characters in a text ( french accents give no room too ! )
Feel free to complete the check list peopo' !
:D

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

PaulB wrote:Excuse me for butting in - especially since I know very little about all your work on this.
But - am I not correct in saying the .pyc are irrelevant in the context that when you run the program it compile all the .py files being used into the .pyc files?
Well, that's both correct and incorrect.

It's correct in the sense that having the .py is enough. But incorrect in the sense that having the .pyc is also enough, assuming the bytecode version in the .pyc matches the one needed by the python runtime being used.

.pyc files are tricky to distribute correctly, but they're faster (you avoid the compilation step).

Still, shipping both wouldn't be a terrible idea. But the problems mentioned regarding .pyc files are all independent of this issue (pyc or no pyc), because both files are missing (both py and pyc).
Wing Commander Universe
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

Could someone in the know please recompile the python27.dll and python27_d.dll files in trunk\win32\bin\ such that they match the newest upstream python 2.7.6 release, please?

It would allow me to determine which extra modules I need to ship with PWCU. Much obliged. :)

EDIT: I just tried doing the vegastrike rebuild myself per http://wiki.vega-strike.org/HowTo:VCPP_Compiling without much luck.
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hello . :)
Under windows xp 32 , the only solution that is working ( and stable ) for me is in SVN/Tags/0.5.1rc1

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I remember about a decade ago when I did the building, you need to build all of python's dependencies as well (notoriously, zlib and maybe openssl, can't remember much else)
Wing Commander Universe