really annoyed

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Satorin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

really annoyed

Post by Satorin »

Hi,

In general I find Vega Strike a fascinating game and I would really like to play it. What happened several times to me is that even on a very early stage of the game I get so severely attacked that I am shot to pieces immediately after leaving the landing pod or before reaching a wormhole for jumping. Being stuck I eventually had to go to an earlier level of the game that I had saved. This really sucks!

At least for me the "relaxed difficulty" setting seems already to be too difficult. This way the game is unplayable. It should be possible to tune the difficulty on a wider range or to switch of such heavy attacks.

Sad, but I leave this game now, even though there is no nice alternative on the market.

Regards,

Satorin
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: really annoyed

Post by klauss »

Let me guess: you started killing uln
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Satorin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Satorin »

Not that I know. I was attacked by whomever, don't know because it was too fast. From then on I had no longer any chance no matter how often I restarted the game from my last saved position.

Is there anything to tweak/hack the difficulty to a lower level. Problem is that I am not a developer guy and cannot find out myself.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I don't know which version you're running, but all have a rather unstable behavior when you attack the Uln. Uln are some twitchy pricks, that will attack you for no reason. That's documented and part of the game's back story. But what's not so documented (but true) is that all factions will see your defending yourself as a hostility against the Uln, and since they have a love-hate relationship with all factions, all factions will gang up on you if you kill them.

We made the Uln rather harmless in 0.5.1.r1, and the faction system is a little less twitchy. But killing them will still bring you a world of hurt.

So... I recommend, if you don't know what you did, restart the game, and make sure you know what you do. Don't go about shooting people just for shooting them. Look at their faction, know who you're pissing.

Beware, because missions may tell you to shoot powerful factions, and while you might succeed, it may well be the last thing you do unless it's waaaay ahead in the game, when your ship is as deadly as it can. You may want to start off doing cargo runs or combatless patrolling until you pick up on the factions around you, who owns the place, etc...

Also look around the forums, there have been discussions about this, and there's even a faction diagram somewhere illustrating the relationships.
Wing Commander Universe
Satorin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Satorin »

Thanks for helping and the suggestions. I think I will retry. :-)
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote:Let me guess: you started killing uln
This should not be an issue anymore, I made a modification to factions.xml that makes all factions neutral towards Uln and Uln neutral to all other factions. And that modification was committed three years ago and is now part of the 0.5.1 release(s). It did the same thing for other hostile factions like the Luddites who were actively protected by the Purists before the modification.

I also have a second patch ready to be committed that similarly limits negative reputation propagation through other key factions like the confederation and merchants.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I thought you were still working on that patch. Will review then.

Anyway, I'd have to test trunk, but I think you can still get in trouble by shooting Uln indiscriminately. They're not a problem anymore, as their ships are not as powerful and the effect of staving off attackers isn't significant, but I believe I've had trouble from time to time if I attack them outright.

Especially since, when testing things, I pick fights with them to see how the engine works, and I remember seeing some other factions come to the rescue.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote:I thought you were still working on that patch. Will review then.
This patch is done.

But I have an unrelated update to the split units.csv / rebalanced physics / sans milspec changes that I am still working on but will be releasing soon.
Anyway, I'd have to test trunk, but I think you can still get in trouble by shooting Uln indiscriminately. They're not a problem anymore, as their ships are not as powerful and the effect of staving off attackers isn't significant, but I believe I've had trouble from time to time if I attack them outright.
Especially since, when testing things, I pick fights with them to see how the engine works, and I remember seeing some other factions come to the rescue.
Well if that is true, then there is yet again something wrong with the evil, lying engine. Because I checked factions.xml and the only ones that should help the Uln are the Uln themselves. If not, then it would seem the engine has no support for neutrality, so either a faction attacks another faction or it comes to its aid when attacked.