Rare? Or nonexistent?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Rare? Or nonexistent?

Post by magnificat »

I have to ask: Am I ever going to find the Goddard.blank I'm looking for? If so, where should I be looking?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

you should be able to. Try confed fighter barracks'
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

Ah, thanks. Now I just need to find confed territory... I'm presently in a purist system... What sort of system names might I look for to find a confed system?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

i really dont have any idea... you might want to try the path script that was made. If you find a path to sol that should lead you into confed territory.
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

Path script? Where might I find that?

Oh, and I'm already bumbling around somewhere in and around the Sol sector. I'm only running into purist and andolian bases so far, though. Oh, well.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

you can find it in this thread

that thread should probably be stickied, i would do it, but i dont have moderator powers in the help forum.
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

That script looks spiffy (assuming you know the name of the system where you're going, and assuming you're not running Windoze as I am...)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

my advice then would be to find someone who uses unix and ask them to run it for you (i use windows too).
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

Good advice... but since I don't know the name of a specific confed planet, the point's moot. :-)
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

just look for sol, the center of humanity. That would lead you into confed space pretty well :)
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

actually, I don't believe that you will find goddard.blank anywhere, as none exist in the MPL.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

isnt their a milspec though?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

hurleybird wrote:isnt their a milspec though?
yes, but unless I am horribly mistaken, only the milspec models are for sale. there are no purely civillian models available for sale.
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

Well, that helps. Oh, and there is nothing confed in Sol. There's a sol_sector in my .vegastrike directory, but the sol_sector, vega_sector, enigma_sector seem to be linked only with each other and to have nothing to do with Sol, Vega, etc.....? Anyway. I find milspec annoying, but it looks like I'll have to go that route, or doctor some xml... I'd still like to find confed territory, just out of curiosity. ::shrug::

I think VS's two greatest weaknesses are, in no particular order, lack of full documentation (for example - no stats on most ships and all missiles, and many upgrades having no explanations of their value) and lack of navigational aid. I wish I had the time, for the former, or the programming experience, for the latter, to do something about that.
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

Well, I wouldn't mind the goddard.blank being quite hard to find, but I think it should exist. (Although I'm rather enjoying the aevant.blank I bought while I was flying around looking for a goddard.blank). Anyway, my solution? A few seconds in WordPad and I had "bought" a goddard.blank at... ahem... the "XML Starship Depot"... for (to keep things more or less honest) 2,000,000 credits. I strongly suggest that if, as I've been told, there is no way to buy a goddard.blank, that such a place be created, because .blank ships must be equipped, and, while that's expensive, it's a large part of the fun.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

magnificat wrote: lack of full documentation (for example - no stats on most ships and all missiles, and many upgrades having no explanations of their value)
Support in the purchase screens for stats for ships, weapons and all other upgrades has been worked on, and will probably be fully functional by the next release. If you are interested in seeing these additions to the interface, download the latest source and data from CVS.

I see no particular reason that there should be a .blank for every model of military vessel, or, where there are civilian models, that all of them should bear significant resemblance in capability to their military counterparts. However, as has been mentioned on other threads, the current pricing structure for ships is severely deflated, and there is no concept of security clearance/whatnot that limits direct purchase of military vehicles, so motivation to strictly enforce the military/civilian differences is somewhat lacking.

In future releases, as we gain more ships and weapons that can be clearly classified as either civillian, or seem sufficiently outdated/harmless that the military would have sanctioned sales to the public, the number of ships which are simply stripped down models of the military ships will shrink as a portion of the ships for sale at regular bases. Those looking for a little something extra would then have to look towards purchasing something black-market, from some less than reputable faction. However, as one can imagine, gun runners and terrorists can probably get you the starship equivalents of the today's collapsed eastern block munitions and equipment, but I somehow don't see it as ever being the likely case that a civillian will find himself in the cockpit of the military's latest and greatest unless it's as the host of a TV show (and even then it's only the de-classified latest and greatest :) )
Or, one can do things the old fashioned way and earn the security clearances to purchase more lethal goods.

Of course, until we implement such clearances, and the means to obtain them, this is all just my pleasant daydreaming.
jump gate hypocrate
Trader
Trader
Location: Down under you 0.19% of the time, Buisness the other part.

Post by jump gate hypocrate »

magnificat wrote:Well, that helps. Oh, and there is nothing confed in Sol. There's a sol_sector in my .vegastrike directory, but the sol_sector, vega_sector, enigma_sector seem to be linked only with each other and to have nothing to do with Sol, Vega, etc.....? Anyway. I find milspec annoying, but it looks like I'll have to go that route, or doctor some xml... I'd still like to find confed territory, just out of curiosity. ::shrug::

I think VS's two greatest weaknesses are, in no particular order, lack of full documentation (for example - no stats on most ships and all missiles, and many upgrades having no explanations of their value) and lack of navigational aid. I wish I had the time, for the former, or the programming experience, for the latter, to do something about that.
I thought the confed were in the enigma_sector? Because I found a confed base in the enigma_sector.
One may fly with honour, or with a death wish. You're going to get yours.
magnificat
Trader
Trader

Post by magnificat »

I like Your Informational Ministership's thinking... It all seems quite reasonable, and furthermore quite playable. And thanks for the info on the documentation... it seems your title is well-deserved!
Gallomimia
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gallomimia »

Why not have some faction against the confeds that manufactures ships based on ripped-off plans, or new plans based off what they've seen the confeds flying around in?

That way, assuming you can gain entrance to the base without getting killed, you could buy ships that are supposed to be not allowed for civillians.
Well.... that was interesting. LOOK OUT!