Upcoming forum changes.

Complaints, compliments, suggestions. Have something to say about vegastrike.sourceforge.net? Here's the place to bring it up.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Upcoming forum changes.

Post by pheonixstorm »

As I am always on the look out for new and interesting toys for the forums there are some new gizmos I will be installing over the next few weeks. But before I do there are some changes I will be making to the current forums we all work and play in.

Certain ranks will disappear and rank images will be reworked.
Forums will be better organized. This includes merging forums so they will have appropriate subforums such as the art/content forums.
Mass mailing ALL users about the beta 2 release. Maybe it will generate some renewed interest and get the word out that we refuse to die.
Permission tweaks for remaining user groups/forums (possible).
And any other suggestion I get in this thread.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Upcoming forum changes.

Post by Hicks »

Mass email sounds good to try and get people back in, maybe add a few videos/screenshots of log0's work. I am waiting for the ability to land on planets and walk around, that will really have me interested
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Need some addtional ideas.

Made a few changes so far, but not sure if I should merge the features and tool forums into the developer focus forum. Changes to content development are set (ideas for forum renaming are welcome).

Just trying to keep like ideas in the same place and keep people from scrolling so much in general.

*EDIT*
Also, for select forums I am thinking about using the forums auto-prune feature. First forum to get it will be the compiling errors forum as I don't really think we need posts from 2008 or older there (most of those issues should have been fixed by now anyway). Thoughts?
Last edited by pheonixstorm on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional query
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Auto-prune would only be warranted if we had a huge volume of posts, but I don't think it is the case.

Keeping a history of what happened is nice if at all possible.

About the merging... remember they were split a long time ago to help people focus on what they're interested in. You should have that decision in mind when merging back.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Merge might not have been the most descriptive way to go about it.. By merge, I am only doing the same thing I did with the mod forums. If you look at the privateer forum, there was originally 5 of them, not they are all consolidated into one forum with 4 sub-forums. I am doing the same with the others. Content development now has the vetting, sound and music, etc. Everything content related under one roof. The developer focus and the rest i'm not so sure about. Feature requests can go with anything VS related. Tools and utilities the same way. Its just a matter of finding a clean and user friendly navigation of the forums. Both as individuals and as entire package. Some forums may never see any posts because people just don't want to scroll down or didn't know there was more to read if they DID scroll down.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

In that sense, yes, it could be a good idea to gather everything dev-related in one place, as well as everything assistance-related (ie: bugs, help), and content-related (art and concept), as devs will go to the dev area, artists to the content area, etc...
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Linking back to the main page has been discussed. Another forum I use that makes use of phpBB has a "Jumpgate" section on the board index page that links to the main page, sponsors, a listing of links, etc. I'll share the page if anyone wants to see how it looks...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, linking back would be nice. I've clicked more than once on the VS logo thinking it would send me to the main page. How wrong I was.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The last mod update on the forums I tried adding in a homepage link at the top but for whatever reason the auto installer return a few errors and I was in a rush to get everything uploaded so I could get some sleep. As such.. it was forgotten :(
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Quick update to this. I will adding a new inactive group for all the old members in the admin and moderator sections that are no longer around. Just some general housekeeping so that only active admins show up in the list.
alex444
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by alex444 »

Hi,
I suggest to use the following method i think this is helpful for you.
EDIT
To select forums I am thinking about using the forums auto-prune feature. First forum to get it will be the compiling errors forum as I don't really think we need posts from 2008 or older there .
You can definitely get success in your ASSET admission test with the help of pass 4 sure for more detail exinbd for more information Apple
you can also see about this site wikipedia best of luck
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Read protected forums - why?

Post by Rabiator »

I've noticed that some forums in engine development need special privileges to read, and I wonder why.

Limits on writing I could understand, if there is too much noise from the peanut gallery. But if one has to earn the right to read the discussions, it looks like Vega Strike does not want to be an open source project anymore. What were the reasons for this?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Which forum exactly?
Wing Commander Universe
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rabiator »

The subforums "Coding", "Scripting" and "Data" under "Engine development". If I try to read any of those, I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum." :?

Other forums are at least readable to me. Except in this one, I have not tried to post recently.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Check now
Wing Commander Universe
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rabiator »

Now it works, thank you :)
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Also you can't start a new topic in Content Development and you can't apply forum attachments in Engine Development.

Also... there are way to many forums and sub forums. :?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

There are actually fewer overall forums than there used to be.

The sub forums shouldn't be an issue though as they are there to make finding certain things easier (if they ever get used). I have been working on consolidating some of the forums into sub-forums or eliminating them entirely if they really serve no purpose. Its ongoing though.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Yeah there were always far too many. There's always been so many forums to have to comb through, most not that active anyway. And then so many of vaguely redundant forum subjects you can never be sure which one to post in. For example this post could belong here, or it could belong in Website Support & Discussion or it could go in Administrivia.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I have made a few changes to the main forum structure by moving a few forums around and moving some upper level forums/categories in sub-forums based on relevance.

Let me know if there are any new issues popping up
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

'Tis an improvement.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Also a work in progress.. much cleaner than it was before i started. Any suggestions on other moves/deletions?
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

I'd merge User Help, Compiling Problems [paste config.log] and Contributor Help & Internal How-Tos with each other.

Merge Website Support & Discussion and Administrivia (and moderators too) with each other.

Merge Gameplay Tactics and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Commerce Center.

Merge graveyard(readonly) and General Announcements.

Under Engine Development, merge Scripting with either Coding or Data.

Under Content Development, merge Content Vetting into it's parent, merge Modding Engine Room into General Modding and merge Vega Strike Canon and Authoring.

Delete Vega Strike MMORPG. An MMO isn't a realistic development goal, that's why the original devs finally broke off to work on Sirikata.

To be clear what I mean when I say merge, is to move all the posts from one into another and then delete it. Not make one forum a child or sub forum of the other but turn two forums into a unified one with no subs.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:I'd merge User Help, Compiling Problems [paste config.log] and Contributor Help & Internal How-Tos with each other.
I'd leave contributor help separate. I tend to give "user help" posts lower priority (when I'm short in time), because there are lots of others that can answer equally well there, and because I have a vested interest in helping contributors.
Deus Siddis wrote:Merge graveyard(readonly) and General Announcements.
What? No... graveyard is graveyard. Announcements aren't dead.
Deus Siddis wrote:Under Engine Development, merge Scripting with either Coding or Data.
The distinction makes sense, or would, if we had enough traffic. But since it's veeery low traffic now... I dunno.
Deus Siddis wrote:Delete Vega Strike MMORPG. An MMO isn't a realistic development goal, that's why the original devs finally broke off to work on Sirikata.
Which is an MMO. VS doesn't even aspire to be MMO. At the very least it should be renamed (to Vega Strike Online).
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote: I'd leave contributor help separate. I tend to give "user help" posts lower priority (when I'm short in time), because there are lots of others that can answer equally well there, and because I have a vested interest in helping contributors.
The trouble is it is not mutually exclusive with the myriad development forums. If I have a question or problem with units.csv for example, will I post it in the contributor help forum or the data forum? More likely the latter because it seems more relevant.
What? No... graveyard is graveyard. Announcements aren't dead.
They are dead, read that forum's description: "The final resting place for announcements. After an announcement has become outdated it will be moved here."

And then look inside... "I see dead announcements." [/cliche]
The distinction makes sense, or would, if we had enough traffic. But since it's veeery low traffic now... I dunno.
Exactly, it's a waste of time combing through so many empty forums every time you come here.