Camera lock, and docking zones

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Goober
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Camera lock, and docking zones

Post by Goober »

Mac OS X 10.6... Hopefully that won't matter.

Sometimes, when I try to turn my ship while using the cockpit view, I find myself staring the same direction. And depending on which direction I turn, the view appears to roll/spin. The steering changes appropriately, but I'm no longer looking where I'm going. This particularly happens as a result of gravity wells and maybe autopilot. I was able to avoid it once, the first time I landed within a session, but then it stuck when I launched. This only affects the cockpit view; I can steer fine using F5. This is particularly annoying when the green cubes marking docking areas only show up when I'm in the cockpit. How can I unlock the cockpit camera?

And my other issue: I just tried to dock at Atlantis, and heeded advice from another thread to press into the green space and stubbornly press D until I dock. I reached somewhere around 730km distance from the planet, then found via Google that I should be able to dock at about 1000km. Can I get any other tips...?
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Camera lock, and docking zones

Post by TBeholder »

Goober wrote:Sometimes, when I try to turn my ship while using the cockpit view, I find myself staring the same direction. And depending on which direction I turn, the view appears to roll/spin. The steering changes appropriately, but I'm no longer looking where I'm going.
"Cockpit::ViewTarget" mode by default has all features of Cockpit::Inside like VDU and target boxes, but looks at the current target instead of straight ahead. It's useful to keep an eye on the target while doing things like "turn away & thrust". My guess is that you accidentally activated it. Just check if switching the target turns the view and if yes, switch back; it if it repeats try to figure out how you end up with this (HAT, pressing the wrong key).
Goober wrote:And my other issue: I just tried to dock at Atlantis, and heeded advice from another thread to press into the green space and stubbornly press D until I dock. I reached somewhere around 730km distance from the planet, then found via Google that I should be able to dock at about 1000km. Can I get any other tips...?
Docking boxes are off for planets long ago. See the distance indicator on the target VDU for "ready". Also, check if SPEC is on - you can't land like this.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There's also "head turning keys" you might have pressed unintentionally.

Pressing the cockpit view keys repeatedly should reset it. (ie: pressing "1" more than once).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Goober

Post by Goober »

TBeholder wrote:"Cockpit::ViewTarget" mode by default has all features of Cockpit::Inside like VDU and target boxes, but looks at the current target instead of straight ahead. It's useful to keep an eye on the target while doing things like "turn away & thrust". My guess is that you accidentally activated it. Just check if switching the target turns the view and if yes, switch back; it if it repeats try to figure out how you end up with this (HAT, pressing the wrong key).
Oh, yep... I was confused between 1 and 7.
TBeholder wrote:Docking boxes are off for planets long ago. See the distance indicator on the target VDU for "ready". Also, check if SPEC is on - you can't land like this.
Err, well I get a green box at Atlantis. And I never see anything saying "ready."

Thanks.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

If you see the green box for planets too, and no docking ready indicator, most probably you're using an old version; in that case, IIRC, the docking distance with Atlantis was different, 1000 Km is the current one. What exact version are you using?