VS won't start on Windows 7 64-bit

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Highpsi
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

VS won't start on Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Highpsi »

Hi guys,

I found VS a few years back and downloaded it on my girlfriend's laptop and played with it a bit but the performance was horrible on her old laptop. Now I have built a PC and I'd really like to give VS another shot, but I can't even get the game to start on my Windows 7 64bit version PC.

I've read several topics here that seem to indicate this is a common issue, but I'm still basically at a loss. Everybody here seems like they're very software savvy and while I know just enough to get me by, I am nowhere near where you guys are. I hope I'll be able to get it up and going because I am really anxious to see this game.

The error I am getting is very simple - the small window with the red X and "windows cannot find vegastrike.exe" I know it really sounds simple, but I looked into the folder where VS installed (C:\Program Files\Vega Strike) and I can't find an exe. in there anywhere.

I altered the info according to this post below for my shortcut too: (but I made the "start in" to say: "C:\Program Files\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0")

http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17022

Re: Help Starting VS

Postby DaveAshton » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 pm
I had the same problem.

Right-click your shortcut, and click Properties. Then, select the Shortcut tab, and set the Target as C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C "start /affinity 1 vegastrike.exe"

Start in should point to the VS directory (mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vegastrike 5.1" ).

From what I read, does it have something to do with the game needing to be put in the X86 program file folder instead??

Help! :(
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: VS won't start on Windows 7 64-bit

Post by klauss »

First of all...

...which version have you downloaded?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Highpsi

Post by Highpsi »

My apology Klauss.
It is version 5.0 right from the "downloads" tab at sourceforge.

Now I think I've actually located the vegastrike application (duh!) in the bin folder, and I've tried running in various compatibility modes with no success. It barely does anything when I attempt to launch, just a quick hourglass where the mouse pointer is and no response other than that.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

0.5.0 had some known issues with win64, try searching the forum a bit more, there were workarounds (IIRC, involving using the 32-bit binary and some dll replacements perhaps)

You might find something here.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Highpsi

Post by Highpsi »

Thanks Klauss. I think I will go download version 5.1 instead. I didn't realize there was a newer version before I started looking around on the forums here.