svn revisions ???

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Amzolt
Trader
Trader

svn revisions ???

Post by Amzolt »

I'm brand new to VS and Loving it 8)

I have Version 0.4.3 but noticed, while cruising this forum, folks talking about svn revisions.

Is there a better Version than 0.4.3 now and how do "svn revisions" differ from software "Versions"??
segfault
Merchant
Merchant

Re: svn revisions ???

Post by segfault »

I am not a VS dev but will answer in general terms:
the "SVN version" is the most current, up-to-date version of the code.
"SVN" stands for "Subversion" which is a type of source control repository.
So by downloading and compiling the "SVN version" of the code, means you are getting the latest code changes.
Means you'll see all the new things folks are working diligently on, bu may also see some added bugs :P
I run SVN and it seems to work great... although do not have sound effects working properly (My system has an issue with openal support me thinks).

On the VegaStrike Wiki you can find the info needed to download and compile the SVN code:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... ode_HowTos
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The latest release version is 0.5.1 beta 1 which you can find here. There have been a lot of graphics changes since .4.3 Not sure what else has changed though, probably some data changes as well. I know there are new ships but little else.

The current svn version isn't much different from .5.1 beta 1, just some addition bug fixes and soon to be some additional ships. You can check the newest release time thread in the Developer Focus forum for whats in store for the beta 2 release.

The websites front page will give you the details of the svn changes under the most recent updates heading. Current svn version is 13221 while the last windows binary was built from revision 13217 and fix a nasty crash related to the openal driver as well as an irritating SDL bug, both of which are detailed in the news section as well as topics in the bugs forum.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

segfault, did you try the openal fix I posted? If your running under windows that is.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
segfault
Merchant
Merchant

Post by segfault »

I had noticed that thread, but I am running FreeBSD so doesn't help me so much.
Thanks though. Klauss mentioned I look into the FreeBSD port of the library. May be able to find my way through debugging that if I ever find the time.
But for now I'm happily flying around making my own sound effects
pew pew PEW!
Amzolt
Trader
Trader

Post by Amzolt »

segfault & pheonixstorm, thanks for the clarification...

I've totally ignorant about "compiling" software---I may try the Beta1 but 0.4.3 is working great---oh, well, the Beta is probably working just as well.........

So, is there an easy way to be alerted to changes in the software?

Also, do I have to learn how to "compile" "fixes" and such or is the process just like most software---download the latest version and it overwrites the old one??
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Moving from .4.3 to .5.x you will have to reinstall somewhere else. The data directory in .4 was named data4.x I think but was renamed for .5 as just data. After that though.. from .5 to .5.1 I dont see why you couldn't just install over it but i'm not 100% sure. I know from .5.1 beta 1 to beta 2 it will only be a small update installer. Or thats the plan...
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

I started with 4.3 also. When moving to later versions, there are some differences.

You need to know that your current save files will not work under .5.0 or later (I never could make mine work, but maybe a way does exist). You will have to start over again.

Under the newer version, docking with planets has become a lot easier and faster. You can enter spec a lot closer to planets, so, much less time under normal thrust waiting to reach the spec limit. This is very noticeable the first time you launch.

There are differences in ship designs also. The new Derivative looks nothing like the old one,(I really wish they would bring back a ship with the old visuals.)

If you have explored enough to find the special development ECM and Repair AI, I do not think they exist in later versions. At least, I have not been able to find them so far after a lot of exploring.

Ship control also has changed, giving your mass a much greater role in your ships handling. You will notice this immediately the first time you come out of spec with an overloaded ship or larger ship. The base Llama still handles about the same unless severely overloaded.

Trading has changed a bit also. The inclusion of Core AIs, once you get to the point you can trade them, really allows you to rack up the credits.
Amzolt
Trader
Trader

Post by Amzolt »

AVBJim wrote: The inclusion of Core AIs, once you get to the point you can trade them, really allows you to rack up the credits.
I did download 0.5.1-Beta and it seems to work fine...

I haven't found Core AIs yet--still dealing with learning how to survive attacks--getting fairly good at it--Must learn to maneuver better tho' 'cause parts of exploding ships are killing me :!: