No Sound, screen dark running Ubuntu 11.04

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Nocturnal
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

No Sound, screen dark running Ubuntu 11.04

Post by Nocturnal »

Hey Everyone,

I just got VS and have been reading the guides and stuff. However when I play the game, I have no sound at all, no music, no nothing. How can I fix this? Also do you have a IRC chat room? I noticed one posted on the forums, but that was years ago... If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Re: No Sound, screen dark running Ubuntu 11.04

Post by www2 »

Hi with version of vega strike do you use?
And for the irc that is #vegastrike at freenode
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

Did you get your version of Vega Strike from the repository, download the package from the website or SVN?

I have not tried Ubuntu 11.04 yet. I am on Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 myself. I have used the svn version for awhile now on different versions of Ubuntu. I use the wiki page at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... u_Linux%29
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

I have version 0.5.0 downloaded it via the website with the Linux rar. I am in the irc chat room.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Ok try svn or v0.5.1.
I know that there is some problems with v0.5.0 and ubuntu 10.04 and later.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

Is your sound is working normally, outside of VegaStrike? If yes, then you may not have had your development libraries installed when you compiled VS. You need the ogg and vorbis development files when you compile. Check to see if the development libraries are installed. libogg-dev and libvorbis-dev should be there for proper compilation for use of sound files. If they are not present, download and install them using apt-get or Synaptic and then recompile.
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

I am going to try reinstalling VS useing the svn. Yes my sound works just fine outside vega strike. I do have alsa mixer installed, could that be a issue?