Joystick support in 0.55.1

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Vymes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Joystick support in 0.55.1

Post by Vymes »

Hi all.

After following the VS project for a while I decided to give it a try and installed VS 0.4 on my laptop which runs Kubuntu Linux 10.10.
Things were running smooth and well including joystick control.

Two days ago I installed VS 0.55.1 beta to benefit from some bug fixes and improvements and I was pretty surprised to notice that joystick support is now longer working.
In fact keyboard and mouse are doing their job as expected, however there is no way to get the joystick to react on axes and buttons.
I have removed the config at ~/.vegastrike and tried with and without a vegastrike.config file but to no avail.
Joystick is also working in general as I can succesfully use jstest and jscal.
vegastrike.config seems to be ok, nothing is inside comment sections and starting vegastrike leads to a message:

Code: Select all

setting joystick functionality:: joystick onlineGlut detects 1 joystickaxes: 3 buttons: 15 hats: 0
axes: 3 buttons: 15 hats: 0
If anybody has an idea what might be wrong I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Joystick support in 0.55.1

Post by klauss »

The config file was reworked a lot and perhaps we broke something.

Can you add an issue to sourceforge's bug tracker and attach your config file in ~/.vegastrike?

In any case, joystick support should still be there - the bit of log you pasted seems to suggest VS is detecting the joystick correctly (which should rule out anything other than config problems).

What does pop to my attention is that it says glut detected the joystick. Usually, the only good joystick support we have is from SDL, not glut. Perhaps our ubuntu packages are built without SDL joystick support? That would be a packaging issue to check.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Vymes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Vymes »

klauss wrote:The config file was reworked a lot and perhaps we broke something.

Can you add an issue to sourceforge's bug tracker and attach your config file in ~/.vegastrike?
Thanks, I have filed bug report 3250227.

Oliver
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I can confirm it's a packaging issue.

I'm attempting a fix, but OBS is on the fritz atm.

I'll keep you up to speed on the matter.
Wing Commander Universe
Vymes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Vymes »

klauss wrote:I can confirm it's a packaging issue.

Pretty good, thanks.
If the fix would come without the need to download the whole (unchanged) data file set with >400 MB that would be awesome.
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

Vymes wrote:
klauss wrote:I can confirm it's a packaging issue.

Pretty good, thanks.
If the fix would come without the need to download the whole (unchanged) data file set with >400 MB that would be awesome.
It'll probably be a fix to the core, not the data set.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ya, the fix itself is just the core binaries, ~10M.
But I've moved all the data into /usr/share/games (as per debian policies), so that will need a full download unless some magic is done.

Plus I'm having some dependency issues, I got ubuntu and debian squeeze done, but SDL is a bit broken in OBS for debian lenny.

I had disabled publishing because I was still working on it, but while I wait for OBS guys to fix lenny I think I could publish the rest.

Would you prefer that I publish the binary fix without the moving of all data files first?
Wing Commander Universe
Vymes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Vymes »

klauss wrote: Would you prefer that I publish the binary fix without the moving of all data files first?
Would that work? At least the binary should know where the data files are and if you changed that location it will not find them. Or is that configurable?
I can live with downloading the whole package as long as a simple apt-get upgrade is enough to do this.

Thanks in advance.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep, apt-get update is enough.

So I'll just publish, you'll need a big download.

Delta deb packages might be faster, but I still don't know how to create them, nor whether they'll pick up the pattern (moving files from one location to another - it would need to be pretty smart).
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

klauss wrote:Yep, apt-get update is enough.

Delta deb packages might be faster, but I still don't know how to create them, nor whether they'll pick up the pattern (moving files from one location to another - it would need to be pretty smart).
Homepage and FAQ should be a good starting point to assess feasibility, it might even answer the location change issue, but I suspect it'll take a native Debian/Ubuntu system to do the job and actually build the .debdelta; you can browse the current repository (which would probably process the new VS too if it were already in official repositories) here.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

From what I'm reading, it would work.

From what I'm reading, too, we can't use it - we'd need both .deb packages, and shortsightedness prevented me from saving a copy of the old one :-(

And, from what I'm reading, we can't do this in OBS directly, so we'd have to publish links to delta debs on the forums or the homepage. Not a big deal, but most people will simply apt-get update.
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

klauss wrote:And, from what I'm reading, we can't do this in OBS directly, so we'd have to publish links to delta debs on the forums or the homepage. Not a big deal, but most people will simply apt-get update.
Not necessarily; maybe if a tree structure of packages is published somewhere accessible via http/ftp like the official debdelta one, for users it'd be a matter of configuring their debdelta to point also to this new resource, adding a proper section ("stanza" as they call it). Not exactly a matter of point and click, but doable for those really concerned about big downloads. :mrgreen:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

CLoneWolf wrote:
klauss wrote:And, from what I'm reading, we can't do this in OBS directly, so we'd have to publish links to delta debs on the forums or the homepage. Not a big deal, but most people will simply apt-get update.
Not necessarily; maybe if a tree structure of packages is published somewhere accessible via http/ftp like the official debdelta one, for users it'd be a matter of configuring their debdelta to point also to this new resource, adding a proper section ("stanza" as they call it). Not exactly a matter of point and click, but doable for those really concerned about big downloads. :mrgreen:
Well, I wouldn't know how to set up all that, but help would be appreciated and accepted :)
In the meanwhile, for later releases, I'll make sure to create debdelta packages.
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

klauss wrote:Well, I wouldn't know how to set up all that, but help would be appreciated and accepted :)
In the meanwhile, for later releases, I'll make sure to create debdelta packages.
Just try putting them somewhere (e.g. http://klauss.vs/vs-debdeltas) making sure directory listing is not blocked by the web-server for that folder and eventual sub-folders.

I'd do that myself but unluckily I have no way to override the global server settings at olografix.org for my space only, and directory listing is blocked by default :(
Done that, we need a brave volunteer who installed the full .deb's to point their debdelta there and try updating; and some time to flee somewhere safe from that volunteer just in case... :roll:
Vymes
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Vymes »

Needless to say that it works now. Thanks for fixing.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Vymes wrote:

Needless to say that it works now. Thanks for fixing.
What? It isn't needless, we need positive feedback too! :D
Wing Commander Universe