Confusion regarding trading goods

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
astrosteve
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Confusion regarding trading goods

Post by astrosteve »

Being a total newbie to Vega Strike, I have a question. It doesn't seem to be covered in the manual or Vega Strike Wiki, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out a bit.

I understand the general concept of trade routes. I've done a few successful ones in the game. Generally, in games where I run trade routes similar to this, I tend to note any stations with prices that seem particularly low. However, in Vega Strike, there doesn't seem to be a way to see the buy prices of any item you don't have in your cargo hold. Am I missing something or is this correct? I feel like I'm setting myself up to get wiped out financially if I load my cargo hold up randomly and think, "Boy, I hope I can unload all this at a profit."

I don't know, do prices tend to be static enough that they don't matter? That is, could I just say, "I know [X] always gets a good price on ocean planets, so I'll just buy it and find an ocean planet. It's guaranteed profit!"

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Confusion regarding trading goods

Post by klauss »

Prices do vary, but usually rather slowly and not by too much to be worried. You usually can resell them where you bought them for a similar price. And if it did change and you faced a net loss... well... that's the risk you undertake as a trader :P

In short, the only way in which you can find out the selling price of an item is to go where it's sold and take a look. And note it down. You'll buy and sell there at that price, so if you can get the item cheaper somewhere else, you can make a profit. As long as prices don't change of course.

SVN does the "note it down" part automatically, since doing it on a notepad is quite a dull chore, but it's equally easy to do by hand.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

In the (near?) future prices will flucuate more as we build in a more realistic trade economy were the price of items will be higher or lower due to market demands for a particular product, surplus, shortage, etc. Its just a question of when it will happen.. till then the price you see will usually be the price you buy or sell for most of the game. I personally have not seen any deviation on pricing between games buying and selling and the same systems.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

pheonixstorm wrote:In the (near?) future prices will flucuate more as we build in a more realistic trade economy were the price of items will be higher or lower due to market demands for a particular product, surplus, shortage, etc. Its just a question of when it will happen.. till then the price you see will usually be the price you buy or sell for most of the game. I personally have not seen any deviation on pricing between games buying and selling and the same systems.
I have. If you do the same trade route repeatedly the prices will start to vary, sometimes quite abruptly. And not in your favor. Even the "starter" trade route, Atlantis <-> Serenity can give you some nasty surprise, say you bought X at 114cr and sold it at 150cr a few times, now you find that the buying price is 120cr and selling 87cr... :)
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I have not run across that before.. even after hundreds of trades. I've always run across the same prices every time.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo