nvcompress

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

nvcompress

Post by pheonixstorm »

part of cuda toolkit or somewhere else?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: nvcompress

Post by klauss »

I couldn't make nvcompress run at home, but I managed to make nvdxt (an older tool for the same thing) work in wine if it helps
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: nvcompress

Post by Turbo »

Download NVCOMPRESS and related stuff here:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/texture_tools.html

Last year I couldn't get the DDS tools to work because they are horribly undocumented. But recently I figured it out, thanks to this batch file I got from somewhere (watch out for line-wrap; this should only have 2 lines in it):

Code: Select all

for %%x in (*.tga) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Texture Tools 2\bin\nvcompress" -alpha -bc1a -rgb -nomips %%x 
pause
A similar script can be written for NVDECOMPRESS:

Code: Select all

for %%x in (*.dds) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Texture Tools 2\bin\nvdecompress" %%x 
pause

The idea is that you work on your graphics files, then make a folder containing your finished images in TGA format (including alpha channel if desired), then drop the batch file into that folder and run it. A bunch of DDS files appear and you can move them to wherever the game wants them. The batch file can be moved from folder to folder as you work on different projects.

Edit: shouldn't this be moved to Contributor Help?
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.