How about a VS pet (puppy linux)

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

How about a VS pet (puppy linux)

Post by travists »

I'm kinda new to Linux, but thinking I might drop a copy of Vega Strike on my thumb drive that has Puppy 5.1.1 on it. I see the Linux download, but haven't had much luck with normal downloads for Linux. If anyone has the time to port the Linux version into a pet, and thinks that it would be of use to more than just me, I might give it a shot. Otherwise I'll just stick to Windows.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: How about a VS pet (puppy linux)

Post by travists »

A handful of looks, but no replies. looks like the rar can just be unpacked. I'm downloading and will post my results.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I run Fedora (alongside Windows 7). It has always installed fine for me. I have not tried Puppy Linux.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

charlieg wrote:I run Fedora (alongside Windows 7). It has always installed fine for me. I have not tried Puppy Linux.
Well, if there is a PET packager for fedora to export to puppy, I'd like to give it a shot. the Setup utility works ok, I can even type vegastrike in the console and it tries to launch. I think puppy may be too striped down to work. but perhaps some one with operational Linux experience could make it happen. Me, I just use it at work to back up data from crashed hard drives. Having your game with your own desktop in your pocket just might be nice. Don't anyone let it keep you up late, I'm just playing around. I've always got the evil empire to fall back on, my system is XP.

--Long live the rebel penguin!!
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

travists wrote:I can even type vegastrike in the console and it tries to launch. I think puppy may be too striped down to work.
My first (and wild) guess would be the lack of accelerated 3d video drivers. Also check if sound works properly in other applications.
What does VS say in console when it fails to start?
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

there is a "could not find platform independent libraries" error and one for dependent.

The last entry before dumping back to the prompt is: "Segmentation fault"

I've turned off sound as finding the right drivers is difficult at times, and turned of sharers for the graphics.

I'd post a screen shot or dump of the console if I knew how. I like Linux, just don't play with it enough to know many tricks. The puppy version I presently have up and running is 5.1.1 they're using the lucid architecture now. I'd love to here a second if anyone else wants to run Vega Strike on Puppy. Right now it's just a whim. The stable version works wonderfully on my Windows XP system, and I only have sharer issues with the SVN.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

travists wrote:I'd post a screen shot or dump of the console if I knew how.
This post shows how to run a program in a terminal and capture both regular output and errors to text files.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Think I have it figured out. here's what I got. First time uploading in Linux, hope they came across.

Looks like they did not, I'll copy them to where I can access them and post when I get home.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

OK here are the files from my linux attempt,
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

This is a bit of what I get by launching VS, /home/user/projects/vs is the root dir of my SVN checkout;

Code: Select all

running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/builtin",r"/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/quests",r"/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/missions",r"/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/ai",r"/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules",r"/home/user/projects/vs/data/bases"]
['/usr/lib/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode']
and, right after,

Code: Select all

testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/builtin', '/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/quests', '/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/missions', '/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules/ai', '/home/user/projects/vs/data/modules', '/home/user/projects/vs/data/bases']
It's a wild guess, but I'd suspect either a lack of proper path configuration, or the absence of at least some python support packages, like the tk, wx and gtk ones for instance. Such absence would sound coherent with Puppy's goal of being minimal.

Since you have a system that supports USB boot, IMHO you should really consider running a "fatter" distribution, cutting out this unplanned skirmish that keeps you out of the real fight :mrgreen:
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

CLoneWolf wrote:Since you have a system that supports USB boot, IMHO you should really consider running a "fatter" distribution, cutting out this unplanned skirmish that keeps you out of the real fight :mrgreen:
Sounds OK to me, have a sugestion? Only limit right now is my largest flash drive is an 8GB one. I'd also prefer a GUI As light as linux tends to be in the first place 8GB should be big enough I would think.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

I'd check at least Lubuntu and Xubuntu; staying away from Gnome and KDE should help saving space needed to handle the huge VS base, while still using a rather easy distro with one of the biggest package repositories ever (bias alert, I use Debian :roll: )
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Xubuntu is larger than I want to download at home right now, may get it when I get back to work. All I know is puppy is easy to use, and can mount damaged NTFS partitions, if only in read only, making data backups possible on degraded drives.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

The alternate/server versions should be smaller; Debian for instance has a net-install version very small to download; once you set it up, you only download what more you want to install; and not manual download; the package system will do that for you.

Also, being coding a main target for you, maybe Fedora is also well versed for such a task; again, I dunno how big are the available versions.

Besides, the recovery tools available in Puppy should be available in any main distro.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

xubuntu sees my soundcard, but I get no sound. On the puppy forums my particular system comes up a lot for such issues. I'll also try at some point the python install for puppy see if that is the issue. Anyone think yet another destro would help?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

I know that this sounds as dumb a question as "is the cable plugged?" but this trap has caught many people before...
Have you checked the volume level in the mixer? Most often it was set at 0 by default.
Do sound players appear to work or do they give errors about hardware unavailability?
Also, what sound chipset does your soundcard have? (lspci -v)
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Cable is in and volume is up. It's a sigmatel HD onboard the motherboard. Have sound just fine in windows, and it sees the card, just don't get to hear anything.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

I don't know how close it is to your case, but check this thread
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

OK, that got me sound. I'll see about installing to my flash drive and go from there. Thanks
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Looks like xubuntu is finaly working, and might run Vega Strike... If I can get it all the way off the ground I can let phenixstorm know about my hardware situation on linux. (one of my other threds)