No Music, Have Sound

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
J.A.O.M.
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

No Music, Have Sound

Post by J.A.O.M. »

Well, 1st I really like what I am seeing in this game. I have a few suggestions that will be forth coming once I am better acquainted with the game. I don't feel that I have sufficient knowledge of the game nor have I gotten into it deep enough, to determine if what I am thinking is a legitimate item or not.

However, I am posting here since I updated my drivers for my comp, the music has quit playing. I looked into what was required and have updated and installed all OpenAL required components. The other games and such that use parts of OpenAL are working and the sound effects in the game are working. Looking at the Stderr.txt I see this line "Unable to spawn music player server Error (-1)". What this tells me is that the music server is missing, if I am interpreting the message correctly. I downloaded and installed Vega Strike again. However in the process my firewall and malware protection went off and part of the download was quarantined. I installed and no music.

So, fearing that the problem was that I am running OpenAL with 1.1 libraries and not 1.0, and seeing that 0.5.0 is an older release, I would just download and compile the latest working SVN release. When I downloaded the SVN version, it failed at the soundserver.exe. Plus my firewall, virus, and malware all went off. It flagged Win32/SockSvr2.BackdoorRisk_im and stops the downloading process. I have no idea what is up with this but any help would be appreciated. I don't play or listen to alternative music when I play a game, but that is just me. I am also not running what is apparently the normal setup of your rigs that you are developing on. I am an AMD, ATI and Realtek sound (ALC888 chipset). This rig is a few years old, so it is now mid of the road as far as comps go. If I get lucky and get a job, I'll get better gear. And no I am not attached to any one brand, but I like to get the biggest bang for the buck so to speak.

Anyway, any light you could shed on this would be helpful. Thanks.
JAOM - (Just Another Old Man)
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: No Music, Have Sound

Post by pheonixstorm »

soundserver.exe isn't used any more.

When you compile the latest svn you only need to build vegastrike and vssetup. None of the other projects are really needed. One other note though, if you build the release version let me know if you get the odd graphics issues I posted about in the bug forum. I'm trying to track them down but having no luck atm.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
J.A.O.M.
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Re: No Music, Have Sound

Post by J.A.O.M. »

Will do, fairly new to this language so may take me a few tries to get the hang of it. I mostly do SQL databases but have coded in other languages.
JAOM - (Just Another Old Man)