red damage feedback stuck, crash

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

red damage feedback stuck, crash

Post by Dolphin »

I've got a few problems that I thought I'd post to user help rather than bug triage because I am new to using SVN and wouldn't be surprised if these were due to some problem on my part.

Since I got past the initial game startup problems, I've noticed a couple problems that didn't exist in 0.50.

1) When in battle, sometimes I find the red glow that everything takes on when you are taking damage gets stuck. When this happens, everything looks slightly red, and this persists until I restart vegastrike.

2) Sometimes when I attack a large ship, the game crashes as I destroy it. I see the initial explosion, and then the game does down. This seems to happen most of the time for Aera capital ships, but not for their small ones.

I do like some of the additions since 0.50, particularly the update that makes planetary rings hide correctly when behind the planet.

Thanks!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: red damage feedback stuck, crash

Post by klauss »

Dolphin wrote:1) When in battle, sometimes I find the red glow that everything takes on when you are taking damage gets stuck. When this happens, everything looks slightly red, and this persists until I restart vegastrike.
That should be fixed in the latest revision, though there isn't a windows binary built with that fix yet IIRC.
Dolphin wrote:2) Sometimes when I attack a large ship, the game crashes as I destroy it. I see the initial explosion, and then the game does down. This seems to happen most of the time for Aera capital ships, but not for their small ones.
Haven't heared this one before.
If you wish to debug a bit, you could download a free debugger, like OllyDbg or WinDbg, and post a stacktrace to let us know what precisely happened that cause the crash.
Dolphin wrote:I do like some of the additions since 0.50, particularly the update that makes planetary rings hide correctly when behind the planet.
Hey! Someone noticed :D
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

klauss wrote:
Dolphin wrote:1) When in battle, sometimes I find the red glow that everything takes on when you are taking damage gets stuck. When this happens, everything looks slightly red, and this persists until I restart vegastrike.
That should be fixed in the latest revision, though there isn't a windows binary built with
that fix yet IIRC.
How often do windows binaries get built? Is there some place I can subscribe to so I know when it's done? I tried to build them myself, but ran into some errors, so I think I'll try to restrict myself to the generated binaries.

Also, is there perhaps a revision point after the fix for the planetary rings but prior to the red feedback bug getting introduced? Otherwise, I think I may go back to 0.50 if I can't get the damage feedback bug removed, because it affects gameplay more than the planetary ring issue.

I'll be happy to give you a stack trace on the crash, but since it seems this one so far is isolated to me I suspect that might be caused by some modifications I made. I augmented *cough* some weapons, and I suspect that I'm seeing something like an overflow because the weapons are doing much larger damage than the stock weaponry. The same weaponry don't cause any problems for when used on smaller ships in SVN, however, and they work on against all ships in 0.50. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on stock weaponry.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Dolphin wrote:How often do windows binaries get built? Is there some place I can subscribe to so I know when it's done? I tried to build them myself, but ran into some errors, so I think I'll try to restrict myself to the generated binaries.
We'll get one rather soon (can't give an accurate estimate, but as soon as a few issues get resolved).
Dolphin wrote:Also, is there perhaps a revision point after the fix for the planetary rings but prior to the red feedback bug getting introduced?
There is, but I don't think there is a binary for that revision.
Dolphin wrote:I'll be happy to give you a stack trace on the crash, but since it seems this one so far is isolated to me I suspect that might be caused by some modifications I made.
Well, it might or it might not. Your call, the stacktrace could shed some light on the matter.
Besides, I'm of the opinion that dataset corruption shouldn't result in a hard crash. Abnormal termination perhaps, but not a segfault-like crash.
Wing Commander Universe
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

klauss wrote:We'll get one rather soon (can't give an accurate estimate, but as soon as a few issues get resolved).
Whats the best way for me to watch for the new binary? Will http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/svnlog/svn_log.xml have the vegastrike.exe listed?
klauss wrote:Well, it might or it might not. Your call, the stacktrace could shed some light on the matter.
Besides, I'm of the opinion that dataset corruption shouldn't result in a hard crash. Abnormal termination perhaps, but not a segfault-like crash.
OK, I installed ollydbg, made it the JIT debugger, and tried to get it to show the call stack of the crash. Is this what you were looking for? Thanks for looking at this!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2218315/VSError2010-09-21.jpg
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, but damn it, there's no debugging symbols on that binary. :(
(numbers numbers and more numbers, not sure it's helpful)

Lets see if I can make heads or tails from that....
Wing Commander Universe
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

klauss wrote:Yes, but damn it, there's no debugging symbols on that binary. :(
(numbers numbers and more numbers, not sure it's helpful)

Lets see if I can make heads or tails from that....
I'm going to try my hand at compiling again. If I can get that to work, I fix the damage feedback problem plus get you better debug information. I did run into compiling problems, so I'll probably be posting to that forum with my errors.