Problems with SVN win32 module

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Problems with SVN win32 module

Post by Dolphin »

I've used 0.50 fine, and I decided to give SVN a try. I followed the directions here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... eckout_SVN. I checked out win32 with SVN, ran setup.exe and then vegastrike.exe.

When I run vegastrike.exe, it appears at first to load correctly, but then I get:

----
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\bin\vegastrike.exe

This applicaiton has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
----

I've got this in stderr.txt:

----
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\bin/../data
Using C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data/.vegastrike As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv
Only read 0 out of -1 bytes of units.csv
!!! ERROR/WARNING VSFile : on ReadFull : Unspecified error (maybe to document in VSFile ?)
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\builtin",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\quests",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\missions",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\ai",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/Empty
FOUND MODIFICATION = player FOR PLAYER #0

----

Any ideas?

Thanks!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Problems with SVN win32 module

Post by klauss »

Sounds like this problem
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

klauss wrote:Sounds like this problem
In that post you say:
klauss wrote:If you just svn-upped, you have to reconfigure VS.
(ie: run vssetup and re-set all your settings).

But I can't find vssetup. Are you talking about bin/setup.exe?

Also that post says to revert back to revision 12867. What do I revert back? The entire module directory? Just setup.exe? Some other file?

I did try reverting back everything to 12867, ran setup.exe again and I ran into the same problem.

Thanks again for your help!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Dolphin wrote:Are you talking about bin/setup.exe?
Yep
Dolphin wrote:Also that post says to revert back to revision 12867. What do I revert back? The entire module directory? Just setup.exe? Some other file?

I did try reverting back everything to 12867, ran setup.exe again and I ran into the same problem.
Odd.. I meant reverting the entire data folder, which you hint at having done.

Is the output the same this time?
Wing Commander Universe
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

klauss wrote:Odd.. I meant reverting the entire data folder, which you hint at having done.

Is the output the same this time?
yes, I think so. Here is stderr.txt again:

----

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\bin/../data
Using C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data/.vegastrike As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
Attempt to call ReadFull on a bad file units.csv
Only read 0 out of -1 bytes of units.csv
!!! ERROR/WARNING VSFile : on ReadFull : Unspecified error (maybe to document in VSFile ?)
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\builtin",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\quests",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\missions",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules\ai",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\modules",r"C:\Users\John\Desktop\svn\VS\data\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 2000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 38
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/Empty
FOUND MODIFICATION = player FOR PLAYER #0

----
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Is your system 64 bit? Because I heared you had to do something for vs (32 bit) to work in a 64-bit windows (something about XP compatibility mode perhaps). You should search previous threads on the subject.
Wing Commander Universe
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

klauss wrote:Is your system 64 bit? Because I heared you had to do something for vs (32 bit) to work in a 64-bit windows (something about XP compatibility mode perhaps). You should search previous threads on the subject.
Nope, I'm using Vista 32bit. I'm trying to do a fresh get on revision 12867 right now...
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

FYI, even my fresh SVN checkout at revision 12867 has the same problem.
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

Woohoo! I got past this error finally! The problem was that I was retrieving revision 12867 at the top of the win32 module, thinking that that would retrieve everything at that revision. However, it appears that at least on Tortoise SVN under windows that doesn't affect dependent modules. Thus the data module was retrieved at the HEAD despite the fact that it gets placed under the top level directory in my setup. To fix the problem, all I did was right mouse click my VS/data folder and choose "TourtoiseSVN->Update to revision...", and then specify revision 12867.

I'd be happy to update the wiki (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... eckout_SVN so that in the future others don't run into the same issue I did. I'll add a section under Windows Clients -> Tourtoise SVN that describes what to do if you need to specify a revision with regard to the data directory. I also think we should have a section near the top of the document that specifies what the maximum current revision should be during times that the HEAD will fail. klauss, would you mind taking responsibility for updating that section as times change?

Thanks again for your help!!!!
Dolphin
Trader
Trader

Post by Dolphin »

I added the following to the windows section of the wiki. I didn't add a global section to the top of that page -- if someone does that they should alter this section to refer to it.

----
===Specifying a Revision===
Because SVN is the active development repository, sometimes the latest copy will have problems and won't work. At the time of this writing this section (2010-09-18) the units.csv file has a problem and the game won't load. Luckily SVN has a revision system that allows you to choose a point in time from before the problem was introduced. As of 2010-09-18, the recommended revision to play at is 12867.

{{FIXME}}: We need a way for people to determine the best revision number to use when the HEAD is broken. Perhaps a section at the top of this document? In the mean time, check out the help section of the forums.

If you need to specify a revision when using TortoiseSVN , you need to do so for each module, including dependent modules. So assuming you used the directory name "VS" on the above usage directions, you would:

* Right mouse click on your "VS" directory, and choose "TourtoiseSVN->Update to revision..."
* Type in the revision number, and hit OK. This will update everything under VS/win32, but VS/data will not be updated because it is a separate, dependent module.
* Right mouse click on your "data" directory, under the top level ("VS" in this example) directory. Again choose "TourtoiseSVN->Update to revision..."
* Again type in the revision number, and hit OK. This will update everything under VS/data directory.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

there's a way to tell svn which revision to feth. As soon as my connection at home returns i'll set it up so next time it's automatic.
Wing Commander Universe