Graphics problems

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
jackmcbarn
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Graphics problems

Post by jackmcbarn »

I built Vega Strike following the instructions at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... u_Linux%29
Several problems arise when I run it:
1. My ship appears totally white in the hangar.
2. Elements of the HUD often disappear when the ship is near something.
3. Sometimes, entire objects disappear (such as Mining Base Serenity), except for their docking indicators.

What's going on?
Sarin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Graphics problems

Post by Sarin »

Linux, hmm...A shot in the dark, any chance you have ATI graphic card? ATI and Linux don't get along well...
jackmcbarn
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by jackmcbarn »

Nope, doesn't look like it. I see this from lspci:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Run with --debug=2 You should see some OpenGL related messages upon running the game. See if it says anything is not supported and list those things here.

It sounds like your graphics card doesn't support something we are assuming everything does, or your graphics setup is borked in some way.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Sarin wrote:Linux, hmm...A shot in the dark, any chance you have ATI graphic card? ATI and Linux don't get along well...
no
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

got exacatly the same problem.

Code: Select all

OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array unsupported                                                                             
OpenGL::GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays supported                                                                                   
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported                                                                                    
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported                                                                                
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression unsupported                                                                                 
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (8 units)                                                                                     
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported                                                                                          
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge supported                                                                                 
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported                                                                               
Note: 'for (li ... )' body is too large/complex to unroll                                                                    

OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
0 joysticks were found.          

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Turmfalke wrote:got exacatly the same problem.

<snip>
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression unsupported
<snip>
That's a weird set of capabilities.
What's the make and model as reported in stdout/err? I smell software emulation...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

I tryed it with force S3TC but that didn't helped, also considering that S3TC requiers that you own a license the combination shouldn't be that weird.

turmfalke@do:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
And what do you mean with make and model?

turmfalke@do:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ ./vegastrike --debug=2 > log.log 2>&1
http://pastebin.com/m22cdee80
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I mean this:

$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation  <--- THIS
server glx version string: 1.4
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

s3tc requires the video card makers have the license, not the users. And certainly not in driver land. This is hardware support, and almost every video card supports hardware s3tc that wants decent opengl/directX support.

This means that one of three things are happening to your crappy card :)

1. Since it doesn't support s3tc, we software decompress the textures and we are maxing out your texture memory beyond belief (unless your card somehow has GB's of texture memory but a totally crap set of features)

2. Our detection of a lack of s3tc is no longer causing the software decompression of the DDS files. It's been a long time since i wrote those features in there, and over time they may have been broken. Honestly, i dont think anyone really hits this situation anymore as VS is basically not playable on any hardware that wouldn't have s3tc support anyway. You need a fast video card and a lot of high end GL features to get even crappy performance from VS.

3. The software decompressor is borking on certain textures compressed in a way that i had not forsaw when i ported and edited the decompressor into VS.

Decompressing s3tc compressed DDS files requires no special license. It's free to do. What requires the special license is compressing them.

Short answer: Even if you get the textures to appear, your card is too old/stripped down to play VS to any appreciable degree. It would be like trying to play the game on an Intel 950gma chipset.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@safemode: I think VS is playable on low end chipsets... we just haven't tuned settings towards that end in a gazillion years. Hand editing of vegastrike.config will very likely accomplish playable performance. I remember I played the game on a TNT, and at decent framerates (20fps IIRC).
Wing Commander Universe
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

safemode wrote:s3tc requires the video card makers have the license, not the users. And certainly not in driver land. This is hardware support, and almost every video card supports hardware s3tc that wants decent opengl/directX support.

This means that one of three things are happening to your crappy card :)

1. Since it doesn't support s3tc, we software decompress the textures and we are maxing out your texture memory beyond belief (unless your card somehow has GB's of texture memory but a totally crap set of features)

2. Our detection of a lack of s3tc is no longer causing the software decompression of the DDS files. It's been a long time since i wrote those features in there, and over time they may have been broken. Honestly, i dont think anyone really hits this situation anymore as VS is basically not playable on any hardware that wouldn't have s3tc support anyway. You need a fast video card and a lot of high end GL features to get even crappy performance from VS.

3. The software decompressor is borking on certain textures compressed in a way that i had not forsaw when i ported and edited the decompressor into VS.

Decompressing s3tc compressed DDS files requires no special license. It's free to do. What requires the special license is compressing them.

Short answer: Even if you get the textures to appear, your card is too old/stripped down to play VS to any appreciable degree. It would be like trying to play the game on an Intel 950gma chipset.
It is a gmaX3100 not a 950. Also the strange thing is that in the somewhat broken version from the repositories the ship in the hangar was displayed correct. Regarding s3tc, as I said I tryed it with it enabled and it changed nothing.

turmfalke@do:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ glxinfo                                                           
server glx vendor string: SGI                                                                           
server glx version string: 1.2   
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Turmfalke wrote:

turmfalke@do:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ glxinfo                                                           
THAT indicates a software renderer, believe it or not.

A hardware accelerated one would say "Intel" (or something like that).
Wing Commander Universe
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

From what google tells me it seems like "server glx vendor string: SGI" is the normal status. Also wouldn't software rendering only make everything a lot slower? I didn't had any performance problems while flying through the space.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You might be right.

The default software renderer installed in linux always says SGI, but that doesn't mean it's the only one saying SGI.

If you could post the entire output of glxinfo it would be better than guessing :p

Anyway, intel chipsets have poor hardware acceleration in linux, I've suffered that. I have one such chipset at work and I couldn't even run the simplest graphical stuff, the console itself was slow. I was forced to requisition an nVidia GPU, even if only the cheapest, to free up the CPU for my actual work.

It's not that the chipset is bad, it's that drivers are bad. And don't make a mistake, they're not community drivers, intel itself writes them and releases them freely. But obviously they're of lower quality than windows drivers. I bet those drivers are there only to support servers running linux, so good graphics performance isn't a priority.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that the GL says it can do but it actually can't with any acceptable performance or reliability. You could try playing with graphical settings in vegastrike.config and see where it takes you. There are many. One specifically for texture compression, it's possible that VS doesn't handle the combination of supporting generic texture compression but not s3tc very well. So try disabling texture compression in the config file... if it helps, I guess it's time to patch VS a bit.
Wing Commander Universe
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

It's not that the chipset is bad, it's that drivers are bad. And don't make a mistake, they're not community drivers, intel itself writes them and releases them freely. But obviously they're of lower quality than windows drivers. I bet those drivers are there only to support servers running linux, so good graphics performance isn't a priority.
Actually I embrace it when companies produce open source drivers for there products and of course I am aware that intel chips were never intended to be high end hardware.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that the GL says it can do but it actually can't with any acceptable performance or reliability. You could try playing with graphical settings in vegastrike.config and see where it takes you. There are many. One specifically for texture compression, it's possible that VS doesn't handle the combination of supporting generic texture compression but not s3tc very well. So try disabling texture compression in the config file... if it helps, I guess it's time to patch VS a bit.
As I said, it doesn't seems to matter whether I turn s3tc on or off, the result is always the same. In the config file I found the following line:
<var name="texture_compression" value="0"/>
Does that means vegastrike doesn't use any kind of compression at all?
Also were there any major changes on how textures are applyed in the last versions? Cause as I said the version from the ubuntu repositories, which as I read is some kind of ugly hack of 0.5 client + 0.4.3 data (?), didn't had that problem.

turmfalke@do:~/.vegastrike$ glxinfo
server glx extensions:             
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, 
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,     
    GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGIS_multisample,          
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group                           
client glx vendor string: SGI                                                 
client glx version string: 1.4                                                
client glx extensions:                                                        
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,    
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,     
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,                          
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,     
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,      
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,                
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap                 
GLX version: 1.2                                                              
GLX extensions:                                                               
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,    
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,     
    GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_video_sync,       
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group,    
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap                                               
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc                                  
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.6                                                 
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20                                        
OpenGL extensions:                                                                  
    GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,                  
    GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow,                        
    GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object,                              
    GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multisample,           
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object,        
    GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map,         
    GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,                             
    GL_ARB_shading_language_120, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_sync,                        
    GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression,                        
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,                                
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar,                        
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat,                        
    GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle,                      
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra,                              
    GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,                        
    GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_window_pos,                 
    GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,                                   
    GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,                     
    GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,              
    GL_EXT_cull_vertex, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_copy_texture,          
    GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object,                          
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters,       
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil,                          
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_point_parameters,      
    GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_rescale_normal,          
    GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color,                         
    GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,              
    GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D,                            
    GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,                              
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,                            
    GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,                     
    GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB,           
    GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra,          
    GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_APPLE_client_storage,                      
    GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object,                           
    GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap,                          
    GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATI_separate_stencil,                           
    GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip,                            
    GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate,                    
    GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture,        
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_light_max_exponent,               
    GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,        
    GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1,         
    GL_OES_read_format, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp,      
    GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays       

72 GLX Visuals
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x21 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x22 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc4 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc5 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc6 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc7 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xc8 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc9 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xca 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xcb 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xcc 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xcd 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xce 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xcf 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xd0 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd1 24 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xd2 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd3 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xd4 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd5 24 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xd6 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd7 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xd8 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xd9 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xda 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xdb 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xdc 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xdd 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xde 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xdf 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xe0 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe1 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xe2 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe3 24 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xe4 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xe5 24 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xe6 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe7 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xe8 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xe9 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xea 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xeb 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xec 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xed 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xee 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xef 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xf0 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf1 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xf2 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf3 24 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xf4 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf5 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xf6 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf7 24 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xf8 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xf9 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xfa 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xfb 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xfc 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xfd 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xfe 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xff 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x100 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x101 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x102 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x103 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x104 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x105 24 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x106 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x107 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x108 24 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x63 32 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None 

96 GLXFBConfigs:
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x64  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x65  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x66  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x67  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x68  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x69  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x6a  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x6b  0 tc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x6c  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x6d  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x6e  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x6f  0 tc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x70  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x71  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x72  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x73  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x74  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x75  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x76  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x77  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x78  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x79  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x7a  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x7b  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x7c  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x7d  0 tc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x7e  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x7f  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x80  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x81  0 tc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x82  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x83  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x84  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x85  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x86  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x87  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x88  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x89  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x8a  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x8b  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x8c  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x8d  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x8e  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x8f  0 tc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x90  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x91  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x92  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x93  0 tc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0x94  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x95  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x96  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x97  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x98  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x99  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x9a  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x9b  0 dc  0 16  0 r  .  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x9c  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x9d  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0x9e  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x9f  0 dc  0 16  0 r  y  .  5  6  5  0  0 16  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa0  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa1  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa2  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa3  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa4  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa5  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0  0  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa6  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa7  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xa8  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xa9  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xaa  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xab  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  0 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xac  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xad  0 dc  0 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xae  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xaf  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xb0  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb1  0 dc  0 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 24  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 Slow
0xb2  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb3  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb4  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb5  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb6  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb7  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0  0  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xb8  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xb9  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xba  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xbb  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xbc  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xbd  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  0 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xbe  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xbf  0 dc  0 32  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xc0  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc1  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow
0xc2  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0xc3  0 dc  0 32  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 24  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 Slow

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

0.4.3 data had pngs, not DDS textures.

DDS textures come pre-compressed with s3tc, which was the first and still is the mainstream texture compression algorithm out there. It's possible that VS thinks using compressed textures is ok because it sees that your MESA-DRI incarnation supports "generic compression", but everything gets broken since VS supports s3tc texture data, and MESA does not support that.

Look a bit through vegastrike.config, the "texture_compression" setting is replicated for varios presets, you'll have to find the one that is in effect. If you know xml, it's the one not commented out, ie, not between <!-- .. --> marks. If you don't, just change all that say 1, make them say 0, and you'll have covered all your bases.
Wing Commander Universe
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

I got that line only once, it was already set to 0.

----
Ok I just played around a bit with the graphic settings and the shader settings and now my ship gets rendered with the correct textures. Then I thought lets see how serentiy looks like and well, I just found again a huge block. After that I desieded to try another space base to see whether that is a serentiy only problem. So I flew to a base called barracks or so and was supprised that I could see it. But then, when I drew near, it suddenly disappeared and was replaced by such a block. In the same moment also parts of my hud disappeared.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That's weird.

Anyway I just checked the code and VS should decompress the textures and pass them uncompressed if GL doesn't support s3tc.

I'd suggest you play with max_texture_dimension then... because it may have something to do with the GPU running out of video ram and not being able to gracefully cope with it. GL is supposed to swap textures in/out of video ram to compensate, but perhaps the textures needed to draw a single mesh are already too much (uncompressed it might be).
Wing Commander Universe
Turmfalke
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Turmfalke »

not sure what I broke this time, after I changed that line the game doesn't longer respects the config file (it starts with the broken sound) and I don't longer end up in the main menu but in the hangar of a base I never landed in. Deleteing all Save games from .vegastrike/save didn't changed anything.