No Joystick Axis

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
DemonSax
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

No Joystick Axis

Post by DemonSax »

Before I start my noob plea for help, first let me offer a hearty thanks to everyone that has helped evolve this project into such an exciting game.

And now for the noob plea for help. I'm a Linux user who recently downloaded version 0.5, but I'm having trouble getting my joystick axis working. I'm using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB joystick. Using jscalibrator the joystick is detected and seems to work fine. Using vssetup, I've selected that I have a 3axis joystick with throttle. Starting up vegastrike, the joystick seems to be detected correctly:

Code: Select all

1 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
    SAITEK CYBORG 3D USB
axes: 6 buttons: 14 hats: 0
However, while in flight, only the buttons seem to work, I'm not getting any response on any axis.

They seem set correctly in the config file and the axis numbers match my calibration response:

<axis name="x" joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="false" />
<axis name="y" joystick="0" axis="1" inverse="false" />
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="2"/>
<axis name="throttle" joystick="0" axis="3"/>
I've trying manually changing around the axis numbers in vegastrike.config and dropping them outside any if blocks to see if that makes a difference, but that has been unproductive. Thus far I've been unable to get the joystick axis controls to do anything.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: No Joystick Axis

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome DemonSax which vegastrike.config file have you been editing the one in ~/.vegastrike-0.5 i hope because sometime the edits disturb the syntax so that section becomes invalid so use syntax highlighting with your editor of choice gedit/kwrite/kate for XML.Now to start with a clean slate so to speak delete the config file :shock: run vssetup to create a new one then run the game see if there is any response from the joystick axis and buttons I have had times when Hal forgets there is a joystick plugged in :( and at other times the joystick driver acting weird as well as i have to exchange axis myself for my wingman force 3d the throttle and z-axis.and when you run the game redirect the output from the terminal to files with

vegastrike 2>vserr 1>vsout

then edit vegastrike.config and test again if it is not working please post the whole bindings section off it and those log file as attachments that way i can check both the validity of your edits and what the game thinks is going on.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
DemonSax

Post by DemonSax »

Yes, I'm playing with the config file at /.vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config and using xmllint --valid to verify I'm not breaking the xml file.

I've created a new config file using vssetup, and run the game again redirecting both stdout and stderr. Joystick buttons still work, axis still does nothing.

I've attached a zip of the config file as well as the stdout and stderr logs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I'm stumped :oops: as you say jscalibrator detects the axis so why isn't SDL and since you are using jscalibrator i assume you run the Gnome desktop as KDE has a GUI based joystick calibration utility in it's control panel haven't tred the KDE4 version yet but i will later not logged into a KDE session ATM but calibration maybe in order if apps are not seeing it do you have an other joystick using game to test on Exterme Tux Racer is in the repos if you do not see if we can narrow down the probable sources for problems.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
DemonSax

Post by DemonSax »

You possess much wisdom. You are indeed correct that I'm running Gnome. And you're also correct that this wasn't a vegastrike problem. Seems my axis calibration was hosed, and jscalibration is a filthy liar.

I found some conflicting information regarding the root cause, but the solution seems to be using jscal rather than jscalibration to calibrate the joystick.

This seems to have fixed the problem, and the joystick seems to be working great now. Sorry for the trouble, and thank you for your time.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

No problem that what i do around here trouble shoot just about everything even if i don't understand it completely :lol: Glad you resolved it enjoy the new svn BTW you might like RapidSVN nice GUi for svn use the Bookmarks-->Add existing repository to get the vegastrike ones you checked out into it.It should be in your distro's software repos.