NEW Ubuntu user if you installed from the Ubuntu repo README

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
loki1950
The Shepherd

NEW Ubuntu user if you installed from the Ubuntu repo README

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome first off even you don't register :wink: and even then just so you can see and download any attachments and don't bother the post 8) But if you have any problems/questions feel free to post i try to keep this place civilized :| and friendly.So on with the bad news the version you now have installed is using our data set from the 0.4.3 release and the 0.5 binaries but modified to use said data set this set is 5 years old :shock: As our current stable release was considered too large for the repositories of both Debian and Ubuntu but it is available from GetDeb in there games category we are near the bottom of the page alphabetical order :D Thanks to Christoph Korn that is not the only option we have been adding content since that release :shock: so yes we are an even bigger download so keeping our selves out of the Ubuntu repo so if you feel adventurous you can check out the svn version using this copy/paste guide on our wiki written by MC707 our new svn evangelist :wink: some of that content can be looked at from when they where works in progress here on the forum in the Artwork & Content Vetting and Content Development sub-forums there are some new audio voices for the comm messages directed at you you can find these in Music and Sound Collaboration all this because i believe in informed users so they can make there own decisions with all the facts that i can provide.And if you have a problem or question about any of these options please post in appropriate area or I'll move it :mrgreen:

Now a few other considerations you will need full 3D hardware acceleration so get the restricted drivers for your ATI/nVidia card the latest version you can as some of the earlier versions had issues with VS :(
Also Compiz will conflict with the game in full screen mode so turn off the eye candy as it will eat at your system resources while VS is trying to grab them all :wink: Yes we are a memory hog working on putting it on a diet though :)

Enjoy the Choice :)
Loki the user support guy and spammer assassin :mrgreen:

EDIT: there is no Jaunty Jackalpoe .deb yet so i will update this when there is and i have a report that the Intrepid .deb will work on Jaunty
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: NEW Ubuntu user if you installed from the Ubuntu repo README

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:so if you feel adventurous you can check out the svn version using this copy/paste guide on our wiki written by MC707 our new svn evangelist :wink:
Hahaha thanks for crediting my work :cry: :mrgreen:
loki1950 wrote:Now a few other considerations you will need full 3D hardware acceleration so get the restricted drivers for your ATI/nVidia card the latest version you can as some of the earlier versions had issues with VS :(
I can add a section on how to get the latest restricted drivers in my guide, though activating the drivers is VERY easy. I can only help with nVidia though, as I don't have ATI (I imagine it's the same as nVidia?)
loki1950 wrote:Also Compiz will conflict with the game in full screen mode so turn off the eye candy as it will eat at your system resources while VS is trying to grab them all :wink: Yes we are a memory hog working on putting it on a diet though :)
I already added a little section at the end on how to temporarily disable and enable Compiz with the click of a button, some time ago.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There should there be no changes necessary really as distro updates don't usually break things that much not sure if JJ is using gcc 4.4 but if so ace123 committed some changes to the build scripts to detect it's presence and deal with the needed changes for it thanks to one of our members trying to compile svn on fedora 11 which uses it.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That i will check for sure good catch and they may not update it at all just add an instance with new details for Jaunty.Just checked and it is not there for Jaunty yet only 5 games so far and VS is not one of them :( but it's still early in the release cycle 8)

rCX
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by rCX »

loki1950 wrote:So on with the bad news the version you now have installed is using our data set from the 0.4.3 release and the 0.5 binaries but modified to use said data set this set is 5 years old :shock: As our current stable release was considered too large for the repositories of both Debian and Ubuntu but it is available from GetDeb in there games category we are near the bottom of the page alphabetical order :D
Thanks. I guess this resolves this bug report :P
stillcen
Explorer
Explorer

Ubuntu full screen dumped to window: a Fix for compiz

Post by stillcen »

Thought i would post a fix here.

i read some fixes for Ubuntu fullscreen; when playing on full screen with compiz, VS goes whacky (at least on my system) every 3-5 min.

I had the same problem with Battle for Wesnoth, and posted the issue here and there.

A very pleasent Wesnothian said to: system-preferences-apperance- and turn visual effects to none. this shoot compiz in the knees. no more fullscreen dumps to window.

stillcen
rCX
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Ubuntu full screen dumped to window: a Fix for compiz

Post by rCX »

stillcen wrote:i read some fixes for Ubuntu fullscreen; when playing on full screen with compiz, VS goes whacky (at least on my system) every 3-5 min.

This be because this bug in compiz. Clicks or keystrokes aren't detected in fullscreen SDL programs such as VS. Therefore it tries to activate the screensaver but fails at a constant time period. It was recently fixed but I haven't tried updating compiz yet.
rCX
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by rCX »

Would it be possible to split vegastrike-data into 2 packages e.g. vegastrike-data1 and vegastrike-data2? It's a shame that it's broken in Ubuntu. Thanks for all your hard work :D
thatch
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by thatch »

EDIT: Answered my own question.

Thanks for all the help, I look forward to getting involved in the art dev side of things.
Goober
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Goober »

Just in case someone else is trying to find that pesky .deb file, I found it on the legacy GetDeb site under Intrepid: http://old.getdeb.net/search.php?search ... vegastrike (If I had read carefully I would have known to look under Intrepid in the first place, as it was stated that the version there should also be filed under Jaunty - and Karmic.)

I hope the deb works as advertised, because I can't seem to fix the rar. *crosses fingers*
TheCapwagner
Explorer
Explorer

Re: NEW Ubuntu user if you installed from the Ubuntu repo RE

Post by TheCapwagner »

oi :D Hello
VegaStrike runs best on Windows XP Home or Ubuntu? :P

I have pentium 4 Asrock 1G memory, 3.0 Mhz, ti 128Mb agp x8, windows xp home, hd 128 gb memore virtual more 1 G.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You would get better performance using any flavor of Linux :shock: as Linux and X-windows has a much lighter memory footprint so there's more room for VS to run :D VS is a memory hog :oops: one of the config variables defines how many systems are modeled at once.And getting to build the latest code from source code SVN repo and also with the latest of the art as well doing so is not that difficult even if you don't know what the @#!%$ is going on :lol: Lots of guys about that can walk you through and there are instructions on the Wiki and your hardware may not take to Ubuntu's new Unity desktop so I would recommend Xbuntu is just Ubuntu with a different window manger 8) remember that their are several window mangers for Linux that choice thing in my sig :D just think of those poor guy's running Vista :twisted: that bloated memory hog had so many services running it choked even dual-core CPU's Win7 has much better memory usage what I using ATM as I still have connectivity issues with Linux :roll:

TheCapwagner
Explorer
Explorer

Post by TheCapwagner »

8) Thanks :wink: I see x bunto is sophisticated 8) .
Now i need more one hd to install :) I dont have the original cd of windows if I need to reinstall, so I want to install Linux on another hd :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Good plan Redmond does't play nice with other OS's.I have done the same for quite a while 8)
That and HD are relatively cheap now I have a 2Tetra drive :mrgreen: that I gave 500Gb to Win7 and the rest to /home for my fedora install on a 500 Gb drive,I could run 8 or nine other Linux flavors if i wanted to :lol: again that choice thing.
When you get that drive have look at using a separate /home partition for ease of upgrading Xbuntu every six months so that your data and the OS are separate :wink:

Stryke
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Stryke »

Is there any way to install this on ubuntu 11.04 (64bit) ? I have downloaded and tried just about every file listed for vegastrike with no joy at all.

Is there a working .deb file or any plans to get it sorted out? or is it working fine and I've managed to get myself into a confused muddle somehow?
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Stryke wrote:Is there any way to install this on ubuntu 11.04 (64bit) ?
Is there a working .deb file or any plans to get it sorted out? or is it working fine and I've managed to get myself into a confused muddle somehow?
No idea, but fresh SVN works on the same. Oneiric has an ugly GLX-wrecking bug, so check whether other GL-using 3D games or tests work at all.
If accelerated graphics does run normally, check libs and try single-CPU affinity (e.g. "taskset 02 vegastrike").
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

We'll have an 11.04 deb for the beta2 release. The beta1 doesn't build for 11.04 (I've been trying, but changes in gcc make it complain about a few missing headers).

SVN builds just fine, though, so for now I believe SVN is your only option.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Angelina Anderson
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot
Location: 300 Melville Dr, Pauls Valley, OK 73075 405-207-9066

Post by Angelina Anderson »

I am new to vegastrike.i am having this issue on my laptop using ubuntu 11.04 when i try to run the private setup it still says error opening terminal.Can anyone help?

*LINK REMOVED*
Last edited by pheonixstorm on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No links to non gaming related site
charrco
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by charrco »

Hi, my first post :) and problem :(

I have tried compiling, it got through okay.
I have installed from .deb, installation went okay.

BUT,

I get this output in both cases:

Code: Select all

Registering codec ogg.
 In path /usr/local/bin
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found MODDIR = /mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/minty/.vegastrike As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/minty/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; 
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/modules/builtin",r"/modules/quests",r"/modules/missions",r"/modules/ai",r"/modules",r"/bases"] + sys.path
['/usr/lib/python2.7/', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/modules/builtin', '/modules/quests', '/modules/missions', '/modules/ai', '/modules', '/bases', '/usr/lib/python2.7/', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload']
Creating scene manager...
Creating template manager...
  Initializing renderer...
ERROR: at programs/lite.vp
ERROR: at programs/lite.fp
Vertex Program Error: Failed to open file programs/lite.vp
Fragment Program Error: Failed to open file programs/lite.fp
ERROR: at programs/default.vp
ERROR: at programs/default.fp
Vertex Program Error: Failed to open file programs/default.vp
Fragment Program Error: Failed to open file programs/default.fp
0 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
Warning, galaxy contains no overarching planet info
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
Failed to open 'factions.xml' this probably means it can't find the data directory
vegastrike: src/cmd/faction_xml.cpp:299: static void Faction::LoadXML(const char*, char*, int): Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted
I am using Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop, I am guessing it has some to do with the 3d drivers? It's got an intel video chipset onboard.

Any help appreciated!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard charrco it's saying it can't find the data directory(where all the game assets are)so how did you install the data(where is it in the linux file system)so you don't those fragment/vertex program errors turn of shader support with the set up app.

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The .deb are split in engine and data packs. You probably didn't install the data packs (named vegastrike-data, vegastrike-music, vegastrike-extras, etc)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
charrco
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by charrco »

vegastrike-data 0.5.1.r1-2 package is installed. I downloaded the deb files from the site and installed from cli after the compiled version gave me the same message...

I was ruler of the Universe once, and now I cannot even install! ;) I used to install the game from synaptic, now I can't... It feels like a regression to me... Or am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks for your help.